Gun control is necessary.

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

This is an open style debate where we use our round to WRITE arguments that support our position. We're not opponents. I do not own a firearm, nor do I plan to own one. People will simply side with their favorite debater. There's no burden of proof unless you've been accused of a crime, in which case I strongly urge you DO NOT accept this debate. This isn't court. I am neither a judge nor a lawyer. Seriously! You get 7000 words to present your arguments and position, that's about 1000 words, probably your slightly above avarage lenght Wikipedia article. You don't have to use all of them, please. Voting period will be 3 days, just case. I've decided to give us up to 24 hours each to write because I like 24, the tv show.

What will I be arguing? If it's not obvious by now, my arguments will hopefully be based on a brief analysis of why I don't think gun control is necessary.

First round is for acceptence. The second (or first round) is for our arguments.

Good day.

Hello. I would like to accept this debate as I am incredibly bored. I do not own a firearm. I hope I never will. And I've decided to allow you to start the beginning arguments as I feel like the courtesy is needed here. Thank you.

That's nice of you. You know, if you are bored, I'll tell you a story. How's that.

When I was a kid I was going home from school one day in my dad's car. The top half of the building was already engulfed in a bright orange flame. I remember the smell of smoke, even the intensity of the fire. We drove by there again the next day. It wasn't my house. The house was still on fire, at least what was left. There wasn't as much smoke this time, but the firetruck was still there meaning the firemen had been there all night.

I asked my dad if he'd been in a fire. He told me that when he was my age, a bunch of kids pushed him into a firepit, burning his hair, causing intense pain etc. He didn't have any visible scars. His hair was comed to the side, like always. He looked like a normal dad. Why would somene push you into a firepit, I asked. He just said, they are mean kids. He had a beard, but wasn't bushy or anything. The feeling of the texture was very strange, didn't feel like anything I'd touched before. When you're a kid, the older you get, the more things you see, memories become harder to recall.

My father rearly spoke, but when he did, he always told these interesting stories. They weren't very interesting actually. After school, I'd walk home, alone, and always go play with my GI Joe's in the back yard, always. Soon as he came through the front door, he'd take off his polished black shoes and leather jacket, and go out to the back yard. He wouldn't greet me, he'd just stand in the door with a blank expression on his face.

We went to visit my grandparents once a week, or at least for awhile. My gandmother would always bring out a box of candy, go into the kitchen, and serve my parents crumpets and coffee. One time I decidced to go see what was in one of the rooms that my grandfather always kept locked. It was a small room with three shelves on the wall, and an endtable. It had a drawer. I went right for the endtable and opened up the drawer. That's when I took another look at the shelves on the wall. Statues, 7 of them in fact. They looked important.

Didn't find any candy in the room, not sure what I was after. Walk away and leavae the door open. My grandmother would find the open door, walk inside the room to investigate, find the drawer open, then maybe think for a minute and walk out and close the door. That's not exactly what happened. She never spoke to me about it. Probably for the best. My father had served in the army back in the 70s. He was a supply officer and worked in management before he applied to officer school. He was rejected.

I asked him why once, why were you rejected from officer school. They didn't want me, he said. He told me his friend, a rocket engineer that worked on launch platforms, had recommended him. Years later I thought about it some more. Assumed it was some sort of security issue. It annoyed me greatly to know that my father was a failure, so I told him one day to never talk to me again about the f***ing army. He said, and I quote, "f**k you," to which I replied, "got it." He wasn't really a failure, he just wasn't interested in telling me storeies anymore. It came as a relief to know that my father wasn't a failure, but I couldn't tell him that, that would break his heart. So I told him to f**k off. He wasn't interested in shouting about it, how could he, so I pretended to storm out of the room and shut the door, hard.

My dad shot himself with a 12 gauge shotgun on his 65th birthday. He was in amazing shape. The hunting rifle was a present from his dad. Two weeks before, he'd asked me if I wanted to go shooting, wanted to feel like a kid again. I vetted him like a doctor to make sure he wasn't planning anything stupid. I was too busy with my own stuff to think. No matter how much you try, people are going to do terrible things, taking away their rights is not the correct answer.

SilentRaven102 forfeited this round.
Posted by KingoSchenk 1 year ago
I have a neighbor and friend with two younger brothers, who had and abusive Dad and a kind Mom. The mother would always wore long sleeves to football games on hot days which we guessed were to hide bruises from the husband. On the last day before spring break, the father killed and the mother with a chainsaw and a screw driver and then killed himself. The worst part was that the oldest son came home to find his parents bodies mutilated in the doorway. Before I heard the entire story I assumed the murder was done with a gun. Guns don't stop massacres.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
That was horrible.
Posted by pencilpusher 1 year ago
You're absolutely right. I've been thinking about women serving in the military lately, atomic war, and some other depressing things. Didn't live in 1949, and I haven't served in the military.
Posted by pencilpusher 1 year ago
As I wrote the rules for this debate, it became clear to me that to discuss gun control, which is a concern, I needed to face my fears first. My thinking pattern leading up to the debate was Orwell and double think, The Invisible War (documentary) and things that are real to me, things that only I understand. I'm not having a debate with boredom.
Posted by bballcrook21 1 year ago
Pencilpusher, can you explain to me what a life's story got to do with gun control? This is not a campfire, it is a debate site. Write facts, not personal stories.