tsmart1770
volleynolley

Gun control

Con Tied Pro

tsmart1770

Con

I personally believe that every person within the US has enough responsibility to own a gun and to not abuse this privilege. Without these weapons, many people would feel insecure within their homes. Additionally, if we were to take guns away from our citizens, the use of illegal, and unregistered guns would drastically increase. Therefore allowing our citizens to own guns is immensely important.
volleynolley

Pro

Not every person in the United States is responsible enough to own a gun. The two students involved in the Columbine High shooting had easy access to this weapon, and they ended up killing 13 other students. Columbine High is the site of the -fourth- deadliest school massacre in history. From this information, it is evident that people have indeed abused the privelege of owning a gun time and time again. If gun control was to be strictly implemented, over time access to illegal and unregistered guns would become increasingly difficult. Many US citizens have used guns for protection in their own homes; this is a positive aspect of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. However, does the latter outweigh the innocent deaths that occur from the abuse of gun priveleges, as mentioned in the former?
tsmart1770

Con

If we remove the rights for citizens to own guns it would directly contradict our constitution, and the ideals behind it. The theme of the constitution is to keep a balance of power; favoring the governed over the government. If we allow only the government to have access to guns then we will ruin this balance, and possibly send our country into an uproar.
volleynolley

Pro

This debate is not about whether or not the government should have the only access to firearms.

A balance of power has indeed been established in The Constitution; it is obvious that the country would be sent into an uproar if this were to be challenged.

On the topic of The Constitution, Amendment 2 in The Bill of Rights states that, "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Some familiar synonyms for "well-regulated" are orderly, proper, appropriate, consistent and, most importantly, controlled.

Gun control contradicts The Constitution? Really?
Posted by learnaboutguns 8 years ago
learnaboutguns
Like the millions of law abiding gun owners in America, I am a peace loving person. I own firearms so that I can defend myself and my family, should that need arise. While I sincerely hope that I am never in the position of having to fire a gun in self defense, I rest easier at night knowing that I could stop an armed robber, racist attacker, terrorist, or home invader if the need arose. I also rest easier knowing that my girlfriend could stop a rapist or murderer, rather than becoming a victim. The simple fact is that gun control laws don't stop criminals from getting guns, and instead only disarm the law abiding citizens, making them easier targets for the criminals. Nor is it justifiable to deprive law abiding citizens of their constitutional right to keep and bear arms for self defense, just because criminals misuse guns, just as criminals misuse other tools.
Posted by magpie 8 years ago
magpie
I was ready to vote PRO until I reread the following quote: "well-regulated ... CONTROL" "well-regulated" in the late eighteenth century meant smooth running. Not related to "CONTROL".
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
I believe that we should have gun rights, but not unlimited. That idea is insane.

Of course not "every" American is not responsible enough.

If that were true, we would live in such a peaceful world.
Posted by easy2know 9 years ago
easy2know
Speaking statistics, most murders in our homes are committed with our own weapons (and on us). Also most county's know that the majority of households in the U.S. bear arms (what a wonderful deterrence). The saying knowing when to hold them and when to fold them comes into play, what most fail to understand is if you choose to get your weapon you "must" plan on using it, the almost always fatal mistake is flaunting it for scare tactics. Even as an owner, other ways work to detour an intruder, whether alone or as a family unit, the power of suggesting works every time, using names other than family members say things like Dick, or Sally get the gun we have an intruder..! Usually you will hear a or some very fast exiting persons, even if they are armed the last thing they want is a confrontation in a unfamiliar place. If you do have weapons (and are not experienced) getting professional help on the safety and handling will be the best for you and yours..and perhaps countless others.
Posted by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
I agree with pro. It is a touchy situation. I dont believe that a lot of the people in this country are not responsible enough to own a gun. I mean they could wake up and decide that they want to kill their ex. It depends on the person I guess.
Posted by volleynolley 9 years ago
volleynolley
I would love to explain to you why prohibiting guns would take guns out of the hands of criminals. Stay tune to the debate, because that issue is sure to be covered.
Posted by Phil 9 years ago
Phil
Statistically speaking, there is exponentially more gun violence in cities where guns are outlawed like Washington DC. The reason being is very easy to understand...when you take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens, they have no way to defend themselves, making them easy targets.

Criminals don't care about the laws, so I'd love for someone to explain to me why prohibiting guns would take guns out of the hands of criminals.

I have several guns, and I let everyone know I have them, including potential intruders. My home is the last target in the neighborhood regardless of how smart or stupid the criminals are. Don't you agree?

http://us.st11.yimg.com...
Posted by tiamtheelf 9 years ago
tiamtheelf
Gun violence roots out from the existence of the right to bear arms. Without it, we will have less rates death.

373 people in Germany
151 people in Canada
57 people in Australia
19 people in Japan
54 people in England and Wales, and
11,789 people in the United States

http://www.ichv.org...
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
I think that the government will always be able to attaine guns. Guns are a sad thing. They are killing machines, that is there purpose. It would be great if, as you suggested, guns did not exist in the first place, but that will not happen unforunately.
Posted by tiamtheelf 9 years ago
tiamtheelf
I see your point now. So then does that mean that neither the government nor the people shouldn't bear arms?

I would like that to happen but unfortunately I don't think any of them will agree with that...
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 months ago
tejretics
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Vote Placed by Bob13 1 year ago
Bob13
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro seems to think that homicides are worse than a corrupt government. Since that is not true, Con had better points.
Vote Placed by Chucknorris5799 2 years ago
Chucknorris5799
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Const arg.
Vote Placed by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Vote Placed by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Vote Placed by threenorns 4 years ago
threenorns
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: i know from experience that gun control works - i live in canada.
Vote Placed by ThomasJefferson 4 years ago
ThomasJefferson
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro makes a stronger case for gun control. Gun control doesn't mean that all guns will be taken away, only that it will be more strictly regulated. Pro touched on this point and Con seemed to argue that all guns would be taken away. Overall, Pro made a stronger case.
Vote Placed by magpie 8 years ago
magpie
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied
Vote Placed by tsmart1770 8 years ago
tsmart1770
tsmart1770volleynolleyTied