FlashMan86
TrueblueConservative

Gun control

FlashMan86

Con

Opening statement: This is the first time I have used this site, or any like it, so bear with me on learning the functions and how it all works.
Now, more to the point of the topic I have chosen, that being gun control. I have come to understand gun control, in the manner it has been proposed by politicians and activists, as lacking and limited in scope. There is to much focus on what is salient and what can obtain media buzz instead of real issues and points that could do anything to limit gun crime or any crimes in general. Issues related to terms like "assault rifles" and "military grade weapons" seem to dominate the conversation but do not truly reflect the majority of what crimes committed with guns actually look like in America. This is why I am anti-gun control as it stands within America.
I support the laws that are already in effect; background checks, felons being restricted from ownership etc. It is when more restrictive measures become added that I pause and wonder "to what end?"
I apologize if this is not the normal format for this site or if I have missed some of the etiquette required for these debates.
TrueblueConservative

Pro

Okay I don't actually believe gun control, but for the sake of argument, I will. Gun Control is needed desperately. The 2nd amendment was created almost 200 years ago, when firearms could barely hit the broad side of a barn. We have so many mass shootings today, are you really going to be so ignorant to ignore that? Is the safety of our children less important than some stupid rule that allows people to carry high-capacity firearms?
FlashMan86

Con

Well thank you for taking the devil"s advocate side on this topic. I would point to a few counters to what you stated. First off, the age of the second amendment. This point does not seem to matter much to my argument in that mentioning the accuracy of weapons is rarely something that has played a significant role in mass shootings or other types of shootings. Most shootings occur at close distances (within buildings or crowds), so the fact an AR-15 is more accurate than a musket does not factor into conventional shootings we see now.
The next issue is the idea of "what about the children". This statement is almost an ad hominem critique. This sounds like an attack on a person"s character and not focused on the actual issue at hand. Is does not address what weapons actually cause most of the shootings in America, nor does it create any room for common ground. All it does is attach the character of the person who does not support the gun control policies being proposed. Pools make is possible for children to drown, garages have a multitude of chemicals that can harm/ kill children and so on and so on. It always comes down to personal responsibility.
The final point you mention, the high capacity magazines, is not something measurable or something you can point to that would decrease crimes committed with guns. To start with, a 30rd magazine for an AR-15 is not high-capacity, it is the standard magazine for the rifle. A high-capacity magazine would be something akin to the 100rd drums. Secondly, with a little bit of practice anyone can learn to change magazines within 1-2 seconds. In essence, this policy would give people maybe a couple seconds to move, run or attack the shooter throughout an entire shooting episode. The final issue is that it is easy to get around. You can simply have another weapon or two that are loaded and swap out weapons, once again only a few seconds required.
So in all, all the proposed restrictions would do nothing to diminish crimes committed with guns. All you have to do is look at the newspapers around Chicago at the end of a weekend or holiday. Typically there are 40 plus shootings a weekend, a vast majority that involved hang guns, not the scary looking rifles like the AR-15 or AK series rifles.
TrueblueConservative

Pro

TrueblueConservative forfeited this round.
FlashMan86

Con

I am assuming that this debate is over since you have not posted any information.
TrueblueConservative

Pro

FlashMan86

Con

FlashMan86 forfeited this round.
TrueblueConservative

Pro

Posted by TrueblueConservative 1 year ago
TrueblueConservative
Dont accept my challenge, i read it wrong i am with you on this subject
Posted by Ninjahammer 1 year ago
Ninjahammer
Just tell them they can accept.
Posted by FlashMan86 1 year ago
FlashMan86
How do you accept a challenge and start the debate?
Posted by Ninjahammer 1 year ago
Ninjahammer
Willing to take up pro.
Posted by FlashMan86 1 year ago
FlashMan86
How do I accept your "challenge" as it were?
Posted by Lsumichiganfan 1 year ago
Lsumichiganfan
Hmmm I want to take this one......