dman15
Lexinator

Gun control

dman15

Pro

I feel that we need more regulations on guns to keep America safer.
Round 1 acceptance
Rounds 2-4 Arguments/ rebuttals
Round 5- Closing statement ( No new arguments allowed)
Lexinator

Con

It would be productive to state what your utility is for saying one thing is better than another. And if more gun control would produce that effect then it would be deemed superior. Safer doesn't suffice in my opinion. Also i think it would be good to state what is your specific definition of gun control, such as stricter background checks, no gun permits at all, or whatever your preferred method of gun control is. I assume the burden of proof would be on both parties since it was not stated otherwise.
Thanks for the debate in advance.
dman15

Pro

Thanks for the tips and the acceptance of the debate
I do have many reasons why gun control will work and keep our country a safer place.
Reason #1 Background checks. Background checks will keep guns out of the hands of lunatics and mentally ill people who don't know what they are doing with the guns. Lets say you have a felony on your record and you want to buy a gun. You should be denied because of your history and there has been a study that states 40% of released felons find them selfs right back in prison.

Reason #2 Other countries have gun control that works. In Australia after gun control was put into place in 1996 homicides have dropped 59% and there have been 0 mass shootings. In the U.K an assault weapon was put in place and the same thing happened, homicides went down drastically. Also in Japan has gun control and only 11 people were killed by guns last year opposed to 12,000 in the U.S.

Reason #3 Misunderstood amendment. The second amendment is greatly misunderstood, the amendment reads" People have the rights to bear arms under a well regulated militia". Key word in that amendment is regulated, so yes the constitution actually does give the government the right to regulate our guns.
Lexinator

Con

I would like to see that statistic on the homicide rate going down in the UK. When debating it's good practice to cite things.
Here is a nice peice of counter evidence, http://i.dailymail.co.uk...

"Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not." (1)

Background checks are would be ineffective and only a burden on the tax payer and law biding citizens. People intending on breaking the law, would simply buy them on the black market. To that point you made about convicts getting sent back into prison, 40% is less than half, I don't think that punishing the majority of felons without a basis is good policy. (I'll be waiting on that source too)

It would only seem logical, if i was going to kill someone, I would want them to be unarmed to make my life easier. You can't legislate morality and gun control only makes violent crimes easier to commit. A harvard study stated that "...Norway has the highest rate of gun ownership in Western Europe, yet possesses the lowest murder rate."

If there is a demand for a product and the product is prohibited or restricted to hell, then the black market will provide. I don't feel like any more needs to be said about that.

The second ammendment arguement is honestly irrelevant and you were misparaphrasing the 2nd ammendment. For the readers "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."- (Directly from archives.gov) I assume you're talking about a federal ban or a federal mandated background check, and the constitution strictly grants all "powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."(2) So even to the lamen, the federal government does not have the power to do so, even by a paper I despise because it gives too much power.

(1)
http://theacru.org...

(2)
http://www.archives.gov...

dman15

Pro

First my opponent said that people who want guns will simply steel guns on the black market. So basically what you're saying if people are going to break a law why have that law? Does this apply to murder too? People break that law any way, A lot of times with gun, with no regulations on them.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com.... There is the source for the 40% of felons go back to prison, but thats not my point. My real point is if you're felon you need to pay the price for your actions for the rest of your life. You also shouldn't have a gun because you're still a risk to society because we know you have the ability to commit a bad crime.

You also said that Norway has the lowest crime rate in Western Europe but Norway also has an assault weapon ban and also you must go through a test to obtain another type of gun. http://en.wikipedia.org.... I got the source that time for you.

You said the government shouldn't be able regulate guns because it would give the government too much power, I agree that the government should have less power than it does right now, but I still think they should have the power over gun regulations. They should because one of their jobs is to protect its citizens and they should be doing that by taking the guns away from the crazy people we have in our country.
Lexinator

Con

Lexinator forfeited this round.
dman15

Pro

You make some interesting points.
Another group of people we should keep guns away from are mentally insane or ill people because they don't know what they are doing with them. The shootings at Virginia Tech, Tucson Arizona, Aurora Colorado and the Sandy hook shootings were done by mentally Ill people. Also a total of 61% of gun homicides are done by Mentally ill people. http://frontpagemag.com....
I hope you respond this time.
Lexinator

Con

Lexinator forfeited this round.
dman15

Pro

dman15 forfeited this round.
Lexinator

Con

Lexinator forfeited this round.