Guns Decrease Crimes, Less Guns Increase Times

Places with more guns have less violence then places with no guns or gun bans in act.

Your assertion that places with more guns have less violence is just plain false.

The USA experiences 2.97 homicides by gun per 100,000 people - the highest rate of any developed democracy - and 88% of Americans own a gun.

Let's contrast this with Japan, where there are 0.6 guns for every 100 people, and 0.01 deaths per 100,000 people from firearms. Or how about the UK, where it is slightly easier to get hold of a firearm? In the UK there are 6.2 guns for every 100 people, yet 0.07 gun-related homicides per 100,000 people.

This is not a coincidence, this is a simple and logical correlation between number of guns owned, the availability of guns and the number of people killed by them. Therefore places with more guns without a doubt have more violence than places without them.

Read this article,

That entire website is completely misled. Firstly it uses Switzerland as an example, as often pro-gun people do. In Switzerland, it is legal to own a firearm and not hard to get your hands on one, mainly due to national service. However the crime rate is low. This is because Switzerland is a very middle class society, compared with the US which, in general, is far poorer per person. In Switzerland, the average male is worth $512,562, compared with the USA where the average adult is $301,140. However the only reason this figure is so high is because of the richest 1% raising the average dramatically, who own more than the other 99% of the nation combined. As such, the USA has a far higher rate of crime than Switzerland does, and the fact that more Americans have firearms to hand (88% of Americans compared to roughly 25% of Swiss people) results in the statistics I have just presented to you.

On the other hand, Brazil has strict gun laws yet extremely high gun-homicide rates. Yet in Brazil cities such as Sao Paolo and Rio de Janeiro are filled with drug cartels who are often better armed than the nation's police. Moreover, in Brazil civilians do not buy firearms because they know that they will be useless in self-defence against the cartels. Brazil has strict gun laws because it has major gun problems which it has yet to solve. Trying to make a correlation between the gun-homicide rate and the strictness of gun control in Brazil actually disproves your own argument, because gun control is strict in Brazil because of high gun homicide rates, not the other way round.

Furthermore, that website you referred me to is falsely claiming facts which are simply not true, and are not supported by official figures. It is clearly a website set up by gun lobbyists to falsely educate people about the real truth behind guns. They say there is no correlation between gun ownership and gun crime: well, that is simply incorrect. All you have to do is look at the statistics. I believe my opponent is honestly more intelligent than to fall victim to such a vile and corrupting website as that, which tells people something is "fact" when it is simply incorrect information. And the fact they then have the nerve to ask for money to fund their project?!

I digress, but to conclude, there is a correlation between gun ownership rates and gun crime rates in MEDC democracies which are not plagued by the War on Drugs. If you won't take my word for it, or my evidence, you don't have to. You can look it up for yourself, and I guarantee you that the countries with higher ownership rates will have higher gun crime rates, and if not please tell me what country you have found which does not fit this correlation, and I will explain to you the extenuating circumstances which account for this.

Tetrology forfeited this round.

To conclude, figures support my argument that more guns result in more gun crime, and any situation where they don't will inevitably be for other reasons.
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: ff