Guns Should be Banned in the United States of America.

Guns in the U.S.A. should be, and need to be outlawed. The amount of shootings compared to the amount of times a gun is needed for protection is totally lopsided.
The average amount of shootings per year in the U.S.A. has tripled. In 2008 the average amount of school shootings per year was 5 [Still high]. By 2013 at LEAST 12 mass shootings have taken place. Okay, If we banned guns, some people could still get access to them if they really tried. But some kids who have mental issues have easy access to guns. Some use it as revenge, out of hatred, or even because they grew up in an environment full of crime. Yes, some people use guns for self protection but I would rather sacrifice a death, a noble one at that. Instead of easily done mass shootings. These laws need to be changed. Thank You.

I will accept your debate.

On a legal issue, guns couldn't ever, and shouldn't ever be prohibited.
First off, it would be very unconstitutional to prohibit guns, as the Second Amendment clearly states:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
And Penn from Penn & Teller Presents: Bull****! explains the meaning behind this Amendment. If you have time, please watch this:
I'll paraphrase Penn's view on this, though.
"Our Founding Fathers wrote this [with the intentions of ensuring the United States citizens the right to bear arms in the case of a new revolution.]"
And here are a couple of good quotes that emphasize how bad it would be if we were to take away our right to bear arms.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

"Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense."
- John Adams

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
- James Madison

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
- James Madison

... arms ... discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.... Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
- Thomas Paine

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
- Joseph Story

(Quotes from

There is a common saying going around, that if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them

Again, I strongly encourage you to watch that video. It follows a woman whose parents were killed in a shooting at a restaurant that prohibited firearms. She tells Penn & Teller that she is a gun owner, and that she was a law abiding citizen. She expresses deep regret for not being about to protect her family, all because of a "stupid law" kept her from doing so.

Also, another argument I want to bring up.

If you prohibit guns, does that stop crime and murder?
Also said in the video, criminals will ALWAYS find a way. Whether it be a knife, or a sword.
I've even gone into an argument with myself on this issue.
If you take guns away, people will just use sharp pointy objects. If you take those away, people will use large, heavy objects. If you take those away, people will use household objects. If you take those away, people will use their body.

It is only ensuring of public safety if we keep the guns available to law-abiding citizens. (I do agree, however, that laws should be a little more detailed on obtainment. Mental health records should be involved.)

soulsie8 forfeited this round.

I see no further progress in this round. I keep my argument.

soulsie8 forfeited this round.

XionChan forfeited this round.
Posted by Preston 2 years ago
I hate this debate, only law abiding citizens are going to turn over their guns, criminals aren't going to suddenly be like "Lets just follow this one"
Posted by XionChan 2 years ago
I left out the fact that if guns were made illegal, it would be put on the black market, and people could get killed trying to supply it (much like weed, but that is another subject.)
Posted by Chuz-Life 2 years ago
I would like to accept this debate challenge but to be honest, I try to avoid debates that are framed around "should" or "should not." If you want to ban guns, you are going to have to repeal the 2nd Amendment AND then go door to door with confiscation efforts. I doubt that even then you would get more than half of them and the effort would likely trigger another civil war.
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
I totally agree. Sadly the criminals will get them regardless