sashaottojones
anaisdeere14

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

sashaottojones

Con

Thank you to whomever may accept this debate. Please note that the first round is specifically for acceptance of my challenge.

"The phrase" refers to "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." It is a common phrase used in defence of guns, gun rights, and the use of guns.

As "Con," I shall argue that the phrase is false, and that guns are in fact also to blame for deaths and injuries resulting from their use. "Pro" should be someone who agrees with the phrase and is willing to defend it.

Thank you and good luck to my opponent.
anaisdeere14

Pro

"If a child throws a ball at a teacher, would it be right to blame the ball?" I strongly believe that " Guns don't kill people, people kill people" for various reasons including a main factor of who really decided to commit the crime. But first, what is a gun? A gun is a device which can help people to kill each other.

If you hated someone so bad that you decided to bring them to death by a gun it would be no worse then bringing them to death by strangling them. You decided to press the button, you knew they were going to die. You made that decision to kill them. You wanted to kill them. It would be your fault.

If you killed someone by shooting a gun and you went to court for it, would it be fair to let you go free because it was the gun that did the killing? A gun has no choice in that and makes no difference to the killer and can't stop the killing at all. People charge people year after year for murder to what they have done , do you think they should be let to free of charge?

Let me give you an example. Lets take Oscar Pistorius, if he was innocent for his crime and really did kill his girlfriend with a gun on purpose, would you find it right to let him go free. He would have decided to kill his girlfriend, he pressed the button to let of the gun, he took the gun and he would have killed his wife.

I hope I have convinced you why "Guns don't kill people.People kill guns." After all "If a child throws a ball at a teacher, would it be right to blame the ball?"
sashaottojones

Con

Before I begin with my first argument, I'd like to note something:

I thought I had made it clear previously that the first round was only for acceptance of the debate. That's why I only declared my position in the first round and didn't support it. Because of their not honoring that, I doubt my opponent actually read the first round before posting. I can only hope they do read my arguments from this point on (as I do for them) in order to have a reasonable, interactive debate where we're not just throwing out our arguments and hoping they stick.

As for my argument:

I do not, nor do those who share my stance on this matter, actually believe that the gun is completely to blame in an instance of, say, a mass shooting. None of us believe that the gun grows legs, walks to an elementary school and slaughters 27 people (Newtown, CT.) The idea about our stance that you share with other defenders of the phrase is silly and a true example of a Straw Man Fallacy, in which you attempt to weaken my argument (ie. we think that the gun should be the one arrested, tried, etc.) and then declare victory over the "dumbed down" version of the argument [1].

In fact, the whole phrase "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." is such a fallacy; invalidation of the argument. One who looks deeply into the matter will find that things are not as simple as the phrase suggests, and while the person is the one who decides to pull the trigger (when not accidental), the gun is what truly kills.

Citations:

[1] "Logical Fallacies." Logical Fallacies Straw Man Fallacy Comments. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2015.
http://www.logicalfallacies.info...

anaisdeere14

Pro

anaisdeere14 forfeited this round.
sashaottojones

Con

sashaottojones forfeited this round.
anaisdeere14

Pro

anaisdeere14 forfeited this round.
sashaottojones

Con

sashaottojones forfeited this round.
anaisdeere14

Pro

anaisdeere14 forfeited this round.
sashaottojones

Con

I extend my previous argument (as I did before), for Pro has forfeited the last two rounds.

I'd like to thank them for the opprotunity to debate.
anaisdeere14

Pro

anaisdeere14 forfeited this round.
Posted by TheTruthOfIt 1 year ago
TheTruthOfIt
So a gun can get up and shot people on its own?