libertarianj12
mikemanahan

Guns laws should remain how they are now, And firearms should never be banned

mikemanahan has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

libertarianj12

Pro

I'm pro-gun. It's as simple as that. My opponent can make their argument first. Let's keep this civil, Please.
mikemanahan

Con

I want to first thank my opponent for making this challenge.

You propose two different propositions.
1) Gun Laws should remain how they are now.
2) Firearms should never be banned.

I concede the second argument and agree wholeheartedly as I am pro-gun as well.

The first argument I disagree entirely. I believe the second amendment needs to be followed as written which is as follows:
"A well regulated Militia, Being necessary to the security of a free State, The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, Shall not be infringed. "

The militia is of course the citizens of the United States. This is well supported by many founding fathers:
"The Militia is composed of free Citizens. " - Samuel Adams[1]

"A well-regulated Militia, Composed of the Gentlemen, Freeholders, And other Freemen was necessary to protect our ancient laws and liberty from the standing army. " - George Mason[1]

"Here, Every private person is authorized to arm himself. " - John Adams[1]

As these founding fathers helped in writing the document, It's safe to say this is the intent of the second amendment. I contend that the second amendment as applied today, Does not align with these interpretations.
Here are just two egregious offenders:

New Jersey - New Jersey states that it is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, Including any antique handgun, Without first having obtained a Permit to Carry, And it is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID). [2]

DC - District of Columbia takes gun laws seriously. In addition to the same restrictions as California, The District enforces stringent regulations on ammunition purchases, Registrations of firearms, And the transportation of guns. If a weapon isn't specifically registered, Ammunition simply cannot be purchased. [2]

Ammunition simply not being able to be purchased. Being forced to be granted the opportunity *by the government* to even purchase a firearm. This is becoming more and more common among states as well[3].

These infringements are state led. Federal infringements exist as well.

1. Automatic Weapons Ban[4]
2. Prohibiting the interstate trade of handguns[4]
3. Prohibiting firearms from even being around school zones[4]
4. The temporary banning of semi automatic weapons[4]

None of these infringements align with the quotes of the founding fathers above. Nor with the second amendment. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED". All State and Federal gun law restrictions need to be removed and the second amendment become respected once again.

Thank you for reading, Sources below.

1) http://www. Madisonbrigade. Com/library_bor. Htm#LAPIERRE
2)https://www. Deseretnews. Com/top/1428/0/10-states-with-the-strictest-gun-laws. Html
3)https://www. Washingtonpost. Com/graphics/2017/national/assault-weapons-laws/? Noredirect=on&utm_term=. F70d51f37629
4) https://en. Wikipedia. Org/wiki/Gun_law_in_the_United_States
libertarianj12

Pro

Oh, Dang. I guess I never thought about it like that. I think you changed my mind.