Jammeryrner
passwordstipulationssuck

Gym in school everday

Jammeryrner has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Jammeryrner

Pro

Students should be have gym everday to stay healthy.
passwordstipulationssuck

Con

Before we begin, I would like to offer the following definition to clarify the grounds of this debate. Physical education is defined by the Cambridge English Dictionary as school classes in which children exercise and learn to play sports or the area of study relating to such classes. Throughout this debate, I will be taking up the position that daily physical education could not only lead to excessive exercise; but could be a detriment to fine arts courses and after school sporting activities IE football, Cross Country.

(note. my sources will be marked with numbers. just know that everything that came before a number like (1) is from the same source.)

Contention one, Daily physical education could lead to excessive exercise. In this day and age, all we hear about from the media and from our education system is that people need to exercise more often. While I don't deny the validity of that statement, It's important to note that overexertion is a common problem in many student's lives. People who run and perform other athletic activities at more strenuous paces were found to have the same health effects as completely sedentary individuals. furthermore, a British study conducted among more than a million healthy people concluded that people who exercised every day were at higher risk of heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots in the legs and lungs than people with more moderate routines (say, every other day like most schools have P.E. now.) they described it as a U-shaped curve where people who rarely exercised and people who exercised every day were at the greatest risk. (1) furthermore, students who participate in athletics at their school would be at an extreme risk for overexertion. A distance runner myself, I can attest to the fact that our training is rigorous. to couple that with daily P.E. would be detrimental to my health and many other students across the world.

Contention two. daily P.E. would be a detriment to academic and fine arts courses. As we are all no doubt aware, Physical Education is a class offered in school and as such, must take up a slot on students already full schedules. With numerous mandatory courses that must be completed in order to graduate, adding daily physical education. would lead to the removal of other necessary courses from students days. In my opponents proposed system, in which it is mandatory to fill a slot with physical education every year throughout all of your academic careers, the classes that would likely suffer the most will be fine arts. Schools would never take the option to allow students to remove Algebra or English from their schedules so they would be forced to drop classes such as band or orchestra. I believe that taking P.E. should be encouraged for sure, but to make it mandatory and to force students to overexert themselves to such an extent would be irresponsible and an overuse of power.

Contention three. Daily P.E. could be a detriment to the mental health of students. We all know that school is stressful. with tests and grades and college on the horizon, many students find themselves barely able to manage all of their responsibilities. Many people when compelled to exercise every day, can develop a psychological attribute known as "exercise dependence" in which people develop a need to continuously exercise not unlike drug or alcohol dependence. (e.g. Edmonds, Ntoumanis & Duda, 2006, p. 888). over exercise has also been called a risk factor for major depressive disorder and as an extension, suicidality. on a more physical note, Dr.Holly Thorpe determined that there exists a condition known as the female athlete's Triad. This condition is characterized by loss of menstruation (Amenorrhea), bone mineral loss (Osteoporosis), and disordered eating. (2)

simply put, the change my opponent proposes would be far more detrimental than it would be beneficial. Despite the good intentions my opponent has, the success of the resolution would lead to far more harm than good.

(1) http://www.berkeleywellness.com...
(2)psychologytoday.com
Posted by passwordstipulationssuck 1 year ago
passwordstipulationssuck
I smell another forfeit... booooooooo
passwordstipulationssuck
please don't forfeit. Almost every debate I've had on this site ended with a forfeit.
Posted by mplo 1 year ago
mplo
Back in the mid to late 1960's, when I was in high school, we began by having Phys. Ed. only two days per week. At the end of my Sophomore year, it was announced that, starting in the fall, there would be Phys. Ed. four times a week, instead of only two, due to lack of physical fitness among students. Some kids were good at Phys. Ed. and enjoyed it a great deal, others were okay at it, and others, including myself, who were basically no good at it, didn't enjoy it much.