GoOrDin
Blade-of-Truth

Halo 3 has the smoothest in-game graphics of all time

Blade-of-Truth
Started: 11/13/2014 Category: Games

GoOrDin

Pro

Since the release of Halo 3, no game has matched the clear, sharp, and detailed in-game graphics of Halo 3.

I debate that Halo 3 alone, stands as the highest quality game ever. Although this debate is strictly graphics based I would now like to take the time to abbreviate the success of Halo 3.

Before the Map Expansion pack, which was becoming a routine Halo custom, having 2 multi-player map packs for halo 2 ( putting all CoD competition to shame )
Halo 3 had a wide variety of maps, with an in-game Map editor, in-game camera, Match re-view library, and a campaign accommodating 4 players (+online).

The weapons included the Halo 2 favorites as well as reintroducing the munitions of the first Halo ~ which was such a success they remade the game.

Setting up for novels, prequels and sequels Halo 3 was the surely the most notable game of the era.

The broad range of character armor selection even included Extra Rare armor one needed to unlock by discovering hidden treats in the game. While others indicated the complete success of the varying difficulties. SO a player could be assured that his opponent was as involved int eh games story and fandom as he was himself.

The Moderators even had an unlock-able helmet including flames on the players head. Which was a tournament award, or a credit a moderator dawned on competitors at his becking. Demonstrating the deeply immerse community of Halo.

Halo was such an inspiring Game that the movie was postponed because it would have been a shame to release a movie that did not reach Halo Standards for the community.
A movie we assuredly await in eager humility.

So, as we reminisce of the bullets fly, the grenades sparkle and dazzle upon our screen or that of an ally/foe with a grenade upon their faces or rolling about our feet, see the High-jacking of a sky-ship, hover-ship or a jeep, and even in halo 3 the mongoose quad.
Be assured, this debate will be ever in my favor.

For Halo 3 had the smoothest in-game graphics ever to reach the market.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I want to thank Pro for starting this thought-provoking debate.

Pro has taken on an extraordinarily high burden to overcome, since his resolution-claim is an absolute one that includes every game "of all time". This would include games both before and after Halo 3.

Since Pro already defined smoothness as "clear, sharp, and detailed in-game graphics" in his opening argument I will not waste time or space defining the key term in this debate.

For clarity: The burden is fully on Pro to prove that Halo 3 has the "smoothest in-game graphics of all time". I will merely present some counter-cases evidenced by games which I believe have smoother in-game graphics than Halo 3. All I need to do is show one case where a game other than Halo 3 has smoother in-game graphics.

Arguments & Rebuttals

I. Since the release of Halo 3, no game has matched the clear, sharp, and detailed in-game graphics of Halo 3.

Pro fails to realize that this claim falls short of meeting the full range of this debate since the resolution does not cover just games that have been released "since" halo 3, but also games that came "before" since the resolution states "of all time". Furthermore, he has yet to give any proof to this claim. He spends an entire round selling Halo 3 to us but almost none of the facts or claims he makes have any evidence linking to the "smoothness" of the in-game graphics. Instead, he praises the Halo community or map packs. Doing so does absolutely nothing to affirm the resolution.

II. Halo 3 stands as the highest quality game ever... this debate is strictly graphics.

If this debate is strictly graphics, then let's cut right to the chase -

Halo: Reach was released in 2010, 3 years after Halo 3, and I believe it has much smoother in-game graphics. In fact, Gamespot.com had a forum thread dedicated to comparing the difference in graphics between Halo 3 and Halo: Reach. The consensus can be seen for yourself with some members saying "Halo Reach blows Halo 3's graphics out the water." [1] There is even a video linked in the thread which shows a literal comparison between the two games. It's very revealing and shows side-by-side clips from each game literally showing the graphical dominance captured by Halo: Reach which has graphics much sharper, detailed, and clearer than Halo 3. Please watch the video for yourself here: http://www.gametrailers.com...

[1] http://www.gamespot.com...

III. Halo 3 had the smoothest in-game graphics ever to reach the market.

I disagree. I've already given one case where there is a Halo game with smoother graphics than Halo 3. I will now move outside of the series to present several more games which have smoother graphics.

We must consider realism, photo and art aesthetics, and graphical technology. Halo 3 was released in 2007, so my opponent is basically working under the premise that there have been no leaps in terms of graphical quality, in this case smoothness, since 2007.

Not only are there now systems such as Xbox 1 or PS4 which can maintain much greater graphical capabilities due to more advanced hardware/software, but also many games that belong to the same systems as Halo 3 -the XBOX 360 - which has since seen graphical improvements since the 2007 timeline.

1) Arma 3 https://www.youtube.com...

2) Battlefield 4 https://www.youtube.com...

3) Crysis 3 https://www.youtube.com...

4) Metro: Last Light https://www.youtube.com...

These are four games which I believe have higher quality in-game graphics in regards to smoothness (aside from Halo: Reach which I shared evidence for previously).

I've included Youtube videos as evidence next to each game so the audience and Pro will see just how smooth the graphics of each game are when set to the maximum graphics settings. I believe the videos speak for themselves.

Since it is Pro's burden to affirm the resolution, I will now leave it to him to prove that Halo 3 has smoother graphics than each of these games.

Let's keep in mind, since Pro is affirming an absolute claim, this is merely the tip of the overall burden he will have to overcome which is "every game of all time".

I thank both Pro and the audience for their time, and now return the floor to Pro so he may begin fulfilling the burden he has placed on himself by making such an absolute claim.
GoOrDin

Pro

Well, although I would like to remind the readers: Burden of Proof always applies to both parties of a debate - Con must prove Pro is not correct* (Halo 3 does not have the smoothest in-game graphics off all time [ is his debate ])

One must remember while reading this debate, Animation and design detail do not entail a smooth quality**
The amazing new maneuvers and diverse life like movements are not a contingency of "smooth in-game graphics",
nor are high-quality-rendered models.

The smoothness of in-game graphics is the transition of pixel resolution as they move across the screen.

Because the eye can only capture some 24-32 fps, when a object moves across the screen in animation exceeding these rates, the eye does not receive the entire image simultaneously and the art becomes a blur (some pixels being recognized while others are not, so that the entire image received is in fact several separate images montaged. ) { in what way can this be deemed smooth. ]

However, Last Light does look amazing... I think I lost with that game... which was a pity, because I would continue to argue that Arma, BF4, and crisis are in fact much choppier screen progressions.

pity.

I forfeit after the Metro example... despite all efforts.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I want to thank my opponent for his clarification regarding *smoothest*.

I accept my opponents concession.
GoOrDin

Pro

GoOrDin forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

Accepted Concession.

Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
It will be easy. He has to mention one game that has better (smoother in game ) graphics.
It can't be done. This is not subjective. It is smoother or not. NOT more detailed.
detail is nothing if it blurs to complete rubbish in frames per second.
Posted by intellectuallyprimitive 2 years ago
intellectuallyprimitive
Your first statement also differs from the resolution. "Since the release of Halo 3," as your opening statement states, is different from your headlining claim which states, "Halo 3 has the smoothest graphics of all time." This implies that video games before the release of Halo 3 possess formidable graphics which can be argued are more smooth than Halo 3.
intellectuallyprimitive
Additionally, you are positing a claim, thus the burden to affirm the claim is your responsibility, which provided the copious number of video games, regardless of the console (because no constraint was mentioned regarding the console of the game), will be an arduous task.
intellectuallyprimitive
Depending on what the criteria by which to judge the "smoothness" of the graphics, this is a subjective topic. I am inclined to accept, given that the resolution states, "of all the time."
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
Too bad I'm not debating you.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
X )

will be fun.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
Just because it has "smooth" graphics doesn't mean it has the "smoothest of all time".
As well, this is highly opinionated and not fact-based, which is why I feel the debate is subjective in nature.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
nah. Halo 3 had smooth graphics on every television.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
This debate is very subjective in a multitude of ways.
I'm not debating, I just want to see how this turns out...
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
literal as an apples are in apple pie.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
GoOrDinBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
GoOrDinBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by donald.keller 2 years ago
donald.keller
GoOrDinBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Apple pies are good.
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 2 years ago
ESocialBookworm
GoOrDinBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession