JamesTeranov
RhinoOz

Halo is better than Call of Duty

JamesTeranov

JamesTeranov

Pro

An overall general introduction on why Halo is better.

Why?
Simple really...

The story. very deep, engaging and emotional story that spawned many novels to make a truly unique and engaging universe. Everything connects.
Plus the multiplayer which is more skilled based and balanced that MLG played the most.
Plus the nostalgic award winning soundtrack. Audio is everything.
And extra content (Forge, Custom Games, Theater, Firefight, Spartan Ops, Red Vs Blue, Forward Unto Dawn, Halo Legends, Arby 'n' the Chief, Best Vehicular Controls in any FPS etc,)
Balanced and skill based multiplayer witch caters for the hardcore MLG players (Team S.W.A.T, MLG, Team Doubles etc. playlists) and casual gamers (Social Big Team, Griffball, Forge and custom games etc.)
Great and solid gameplay - sandbox battles (not just a corridor shooter), vehicles, amazing unpredictable A.I. etc.

Round 2 campaign maybe?
RhinoOz

Con

While it has lasted longer and perhaps is more iconic, Halo is an inferior series to Call of Duty. I've never been a fan of first person shooters, but I have had respect for particular franchises such as Call of Duty or Halo. But Call of Duty is a far better series.
As far as gameplay goes, there's no question that Cod (Call of Duty) is superior here. Everything in Cod has a use. The grenades have use, all the perks have use, every gun is useful for certain scenarios. Unlike Halo, in Halo, when was the last time you used a grenade? There's also the matter of customization, Halo has it's ordinance system and other than that and the color outfit of your character, there isn't much to work with. With Cod, you can change everything. Your guns, the attachments, the grenades, and several other features. Lastly, Cod simply has more variety, with more guns in the game, there's even attachments to those guns to make it completely personalized, unlike Halo where you are limited to a few uncustomizable weapons.
JamesTeranov

Pro

I disagree. I will dismantle your horrific argument sentences by sentence.
First of all, if you so choose, you can check out this youtube playlist that I will be referring to later:
https://www.youtube.com...

a) "Halo is an inferior series to Call of Duty. I've never been a fan of first person shooters,"

Inferior.. anything but mate. Listen. The only thing cod has that is any good is Zombies.
Halo has much more to offer and appeals to a wide variety of gamers from people who love to get engaged with an expansive well written universe to hardcore MLG players (MLG, Team Doubles, Team S.W.A.T playlists) to casual gamers (social big team, action sack playlists) to creative gamers who like to mess around and create literally anything in FORGE to people who love making montages, machinima's (Theatre mode). Halo brings the community together.

b) "As far as gameplay goes, there's no question that Cod (Call of Duty) is superior here. Everything in Cod has a use. The grenades have use, all the perks have use, every gun is useful for certain scenarios."

This is absolutely absurd. You seem to be a person who hasn't read all of the opposition's arguments as well as you should.

Incorrect, I have seen way more reasons as to why Halo's gameplay is better.

Now CAMPAIGN GAMEPLAY.. These are my reasons as to why gameplay in Halo is better.

Cod - Is an addictive game yes but is has gone very bland and stale. It is ONLY a corridor shooter and a shooting fest. Nazi Zombies was an excellent idea. But think about it. Without Nazi Zombies Cod would be so boring. Basically saying the core of the game Campaign and multiplayer are not that amazing.
All cod is an arcade corridor shooter. Meaning it has a step by step constricted gameplay. Shoot in hallways and rooms (which is not bad) BUT that is all cod is and it gets very boring and bland very quick (hence the one time play-trough), Even the vehicle sections (if you can call them that) you are on a restricted path. Oh and nearly forgot the enemy A.I. is horribly predictable in cod. They spawn in the same play, usually walk to the same place, pop up in the same window etc.

Halo - Again despite the fact Halo perfected an FPS formula for console and many other games including cod used it as a blue print, if you will, not that many games to this day can beat it's fluid gameplay. Sure it has the best vehicular controls in any FPS (Far Cry 3 a close second). Lets see you have VARIETY. Not only is it a corridor shooter like cod but it is also a SANDBOX shooter (wide open combat with many different ways to advance), open vehicular combat, SKULLS (great way to change things up) plus more like the co-op split-screen to 4 players over XBOX Live.

NOT ONLY THAT:
Halo has more variety in it's gameplay:
You can do everything cod does plus more. Not only is Halo a corridor shooter it is a sandbox shooter too (Large open battles areas). No two battles is alike. Halo is known for it's infamous "30 seconds of fun"... ergo every 30 secs something new happens.
Go in all guns blazing.
Stay back and snipe.
or in Co-op do them both.
Use a vehicle warthog with your co-op as driver/gunner Use a mongoose/Ghost/ Wraith/ Banshee.
Sandbox Battles (wide open spaces) Many, Many different ways to advance and attack using strategies applied while playing with a brother or friend etc.
Halo: CE's enemy A.I is one of the best A.I. in any game and still does. They change things up. They flank you. They run away if their leader is dead etc.

PLUS SKULLS. You get skulls to change the gameplay ij the campaign up. To make it harder.

LASTLY Halo's MULTIPLAYER gameplay requires more skill, strategic thinking, map control, precise aiming and (sometimes teamwork).
Say if a person shoots at you first you have time, if skilled enough, you can overcome the odds and kill him. Not who sees who first. Hence the shields.

Cod - Multiplayer - Al;though cod is fun to mess about in and easy to pick up and play.. it's too messy, to full of carnage and has to skill involved (which is precisely why kids prefer it). The gameplay in cod is far from solid. The amount of glitches in it. Over Use of Weapons and classes. The hit detection is god-awful. Look at this video at about 0:22 the guy kills the other guy and he didn't even shoot him. https://www.youtube.com...
What I like in halo is that whenever you die your enemy actually deserves the kill. Cod's OP weapons & kill-streaks, spawn trappers, spawn kills, drop shots, or some squeaker with a sniper quick scoping everybody. I don't really consider any of these things fair kills and they are the only things that ever kill me.
Cod - A game where you camp with a knife (easy kill) to get a kill-streaks just so you can get more easy (non-player kills) with Pave Low, Attack dogs etc. (Done by the computer not by the player) and LAG is a major influence to determine many gun fights. Lag is worse in Call of Duty.
Lag:
https://www.youtube.com...

c) " Everything in Cod has a use."

Everything in Halo also has a use. You see a lot of cod weapons do the exact same thing. Not only do the different variations of the same weapons do the same thing but there have been many games I have played in which a shotgun blast can travel further than a assault rifle.

Halo: No need to say anything... just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com...

Extra Info:
Weapons:
https://www.youtube.com...

Plus in Halo nearly all your kills are from your weapon (True FPS style) not having the computer do it for you (attack dogs, pave low). Halo still relies on gun skill as you wont be getting anything over powered to dominate the game.
Referen.
References/Extra Info:
Point-streaks vs Kill-streaks (Middle to end of video):
https://www.youtube.com...

d) "Unlike Halo, in Halo, when was the last time you used a grenade?"

Grenades are EVERYTHING.. Where are you getting this information???
Everyone knows the core of Halo gameplay is what Bungie referred it as "Golden Triangle of Halo"... (Melee, Weapons and Grenades). which has remained fundamentally unchanged throughout the trilogy.
https://en.wikipedia.org...(series)#cite_note-golden-24

You can see it everywhere
1) Not only is it used for taking down shields and then finishing an opponent off with the weapons.
2) Sticking a guy with a grenades is a 1 Hit kill therefore extremely useful.
3) LASTLY - Even something has simple has Grenades take skill. Watch Walshy's Grenade Tutorial. Start at around 4:20. For example trow a grenade on the ground then trow the second it will propel further in your intended direction and kill your target.
https://www.youtube.com...

Take a look at this montage- even-though it is predominantly sniper you do see an awful lot of grenades being used:
https://www.youtube.com...

When do cod players use grenades?? Only really to throw a grenade the second the game starts in hopes in getting a kill.. no skill involved.

e) "There's also the matter of customisation, Halo has it's ordinance system and other than that and the colour outfit of your character, there isn't much to work with"

Depends on what type of 'customisation':
1) game settings, maps and game-type customisation = Halo has that in the bag.. no need to go any further other that FORGE.
2) The second type pf customisation is the weapons and apparel. This shouldn't be brought up as one of the main arguments for call of duty. You know why?
Because
a) Apparel Customisation only adds ascetic features (which is good but a very minor aspect).
and
b) Weapon customisation.. there is TOO MUCH freedom in cod which makes the game very unbalanced and unfair.
Let me explain.
Halo starts you off with the same weapons...ergo everyone is on equal footing. It is how you use those weapons is how you succeed. It is about about skill, strategy & (sometimes teamwork) not the over use of game breaking glitches seen in cod like the use of Noob-tube, Model 1778 Shotguns, Famas, ak47u, Riot Shield, Ghost Pro, Last Stand Perks etc.

Halo has that balanced just right. Besides the customisation of game options (beats that of customisable weapons) like changing the speed of ones character, changing the gravity of the map, changing how many shields a person can have etc. allows for many different game-types that can be played. Also the map customisation using FORGE.. Literally anything can be built. The limitations is ones own imagination.

f) "Cod simply has more variety,"

What I have said above applies to this too. More Variety in cod?? WRONG.

Yes you do have more variety in the customisable weapons and perks but I have explained above why this brings unbalances and unfair gameplay.
Although cod has the more variety in customisable weapons.. halo NOT ONLY has more customisable game options but more variety in gameplay too (see above - part b).

g) "Halo where you are limited to a few uncustomizable weapons.

Again like what I said before.
there is TOO MUCH freedom in cod which makes the game very unbalanced and unfair.
Let me explain.. Halo is better with minimal customisation and having NO kill-streaks.

h) I shall end of with what I started of with:
Halo has much more to offer and appeals to a wide variety of gamers from people who love to get engaged with an expansive well written universe to hardcore MLG players (MLG, Team Doubles, Team S.W.A.T playlists) to casual gamers (social big team, action sack playlists) to creative gamers who like to mess around and create literally anything in FORGE to people who love making montages, machinima's (Theatre mode).

This has been my rebuttal to what you have said. Next round can be about campaign/story or multiplayer.. up to you to be honest.
RhinoOz

Con

RhinoOz forfeited this round.
JamesTeranov

Pro

Ok so far I have given a general overall explanation of why Halo better in both Round 1 and Round 2 where I dismantled your argument.
Now though. I will go into detail why Halo has the better campaign AND better multiplayer.
*****************************************************

*#1)* Why Halo has the better campaign/story.

Why Halo's campaign/story is much better than call of duties plus why having a continuous storyline and spin-off storylines all within and connected to the same lore of the universe is better:

It is widely known having an epic expansive lore about a games universe draws people into a game. Games that have this lore are stories usually told over many games and connects everything together. Everyone knows franchises like Mass Effect, Half Life, Skyrim, Fallout etc are better than your stand alone franchise like Battlefield, Rainbow Six and cod etc.. These games are are at the top of the list of games last generation and usually have novels, graphic novels and such written about it's universe BECAUSE it's so engaging. Mass Effect has it's graphic novels and Halo has not just novels but New York Best sellers (Highest accolade for a novel). With the backstories created by these novels ENRICHES the universe further and is brought into future games.
Cod has nothing. Don't get me wrong cods campaign is good great actually but it is no Halo and is not in the same category. It's mediocre. It is widely known that cod's campaign is a one play-trough type of thing and everyone just goes to the multiplayer.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now onto gameplay in the campaign. All cod is an arcade corridor shooter. Meaning it has a step by step constricted gameplay. Shoot in hallways and rooms (which is not bad) BUT that is all cod is and it gets very boring and bland very quick (hence the one time play-trough), Even the vehicle sections (if you can call them that) you are on a restricted path. Oh and nearly forgot the enemy A.I. is horribly predictable in cod. They spawn in the same play, usually walk to the same place, pop up in the same window etc.

Halo on the other hand has a lot more variety. You can do everything cod does plus more. Not only is Halo a corridor shooter it is a sandbox shooter too (Large open battles areas). No two battles is alike. Halo is known for it's infamous "30 seconds of fun"... ergo every 30 secs something new happens.
Go in all guns blazing
Stay back and snipe
or in Co-op do them both
Use a vehicle warthog with your co-op as driver/gunner Use a mongoose/Ghost/ Wraith/ Banshee
Sandbox Battles (wide open spaces) Many, Many different ways to advance and attack using strategies applied while""" playing with a brother or friend etc.
Lastly SKULLS. You get skulls to change the gameplay up = more playtime. LASO anyone??

Oh wait I almost forgot. Sound design and audio is amazing, nostalgic and award winning. Audio IS everything in the entertainment medium from movies to games. It creates emotions. No doubt Halo beats cod in that category. When you think of music in games Halo will always be mentioned.

Now lets look at videos on youtube ranking the best stories - if one or both are mentioned:

1) https://www.youtube.com...... (Halo is mentioned - Cod isn't)
2) https://www.youtube.com......
3) https://www.youtube.com......

Side note: have you not seen that the majority of games with real narratives are one with a unrealistic element where they fight aliens, robots, zombies etc.
If come across any with cod mentioned or if both are mentioned which came first in the list please share.
I mean the only real reoccurring games with great stories that you fight other people are GTA series, Metal Gear, AssASINS Creed. COMPARED TO Mass effect, Half Life, Gears of war, God of war, Halo, Fallout, KOTOR, Walking Dead, Last of Us and Bioshock.

*#2*. First of all: Take a look at this playlist that I will be referring to:
https://www.youtube.com...

Below is why Halo requires more skill and in turn is makes it a better more balanced multiplayer game. Before I continue let me say you have many other game types that suit the casual gamer from Social Big Team to Action Sack to creating literally anything with FORGE.

Now back onto why Halo takes more skill:

- Part 1-

Both games take a certain amount of skill but Halo takes much more in comparison to Cod. When you are getting shot at in Cod 9/10 the is nothing you can do, you generally cannot run away and unless the person shooting has downsyndrome you can't kill them. Halo you actually get benefited for having a good aim and intelligence or awareness. Halo was on the MLG circuit long before Cod you know.
_________________________________________________

-Part 2-

Who are the most skillful gamers in the world... MLG players. What game is played the most in MLG for 8 years running...Halo.

Say if a person shoots at you first you have time, if skilled enough, you can overcome the odds and kill him. Not who sees who first. Hence the armor.

It is all about precise aiming (4 shots to the head with br), Strafing (dodging), strategy and map control.

-Part 3-

Cod - People say more guns. Bad reason because it makes the game unbalanced.

Halo starts you off with the same weapons...ergo everyone is on equal footing. It is how you use those weapons is how you succeed. It is about about skill, strategy &(sometimes teamwork).

Plus in Halo nearly all your kills are from your weapon (True FPS style) not having the computer do it for you (attack dogs, pave low).

https://www.youtube.com......

The most known MLG Pro's are Halo players and have great montages.

-Part 4-

Lag:
https://www.youtube.com......

-Part 5-

Even something has simple has Grenades take skill. Watch Walshy's Grenade Tutorial. Start at around 4:20. For example trow a nade on the ground then trow the second it will propel further in your intended direction and kill your target. Look at this video:
And Kampy's Montage (Great Editing):
Kampy :: Apex - A Halo 3 Montage
https://www.youtube.com......

You can see the these video's in the references below.

I almost forgot to mention call outs and team work. You see a lot more co-operation where it counts. You hear a lot more strategic thinking and callouts than screaming insults as in cod.

No need to say anything... just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com......

Extra Info:
Weapons:
https://www.youtube.com......

More Info on TRUE SKILL Ranking:

Halo has this True Skill Ranking in most of it's games. This pairs you with people of the same skill range as you.

In cod it's random. You could be fighting with or against noobs in one game and really good players in another.

You see the only way you can get better for yourself is to play with people of similar skill level or higher...just like in any other sport.

I mean the whole gameplay of halo requires skill to be a above average player.

References:

Please look up that grenade tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com......

And Kampy's Montage (Great Editing):
Kampy :: Apex - A Halo 3 Montage
https://www.youtube.com......

*In Conclusion:*
Cod is an easy pick up noob-friendly arcade shooter (which isn't bad at all but that IS all it is).
The multiplayer is an all round shoot fest with no regard for strategic thinking, skill, team work etc. and is littered with many game breaking features like the over use of certain OP weapons (Noobtube, Model 1778 etc.) and littered with many little kids that just makes the experience worse (I know this isn't IN the game put it is apart of it).
Halo has more to offer but to be above average at Halo you need a bit of skill that many cod players either intentionally or unintentionally can't wrap their minds around.

So being the more competitive game triumph that of just have an easy to pick up and lay game. Competitive aspect in Halo brings a lot more to it's game like the multiplayer being more fun because there is more satisfaction in knowing you outsmarted your opponent than 'who sees who first' seen in cod.
******************************************************************************************

*That is why Halo takes more Skill than cod and makes for a more balanced multiplayer game.*
RhinoOz

Con

RhinoOz forfeited this round.
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
I was gong to debate you on the topic, but I just wanted to make sure, cause I hate it when people forefeit every round. But the other guy accepted so whatever.
Posted by JamesTeranov 1 year ago
JamesTeranov
tajshar2k No, what makes you think that?
Posted by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
I have a question? Are you one of those guys who write like 1 round and forfeit?
Vote Placed by gabep 1 year ago
gabep
JamesTeranovRhinoOzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not much really. While Con forfeited, Pro insulted his opponent several times, so neither gets conduct. For the one round that Con participated, his S/G was ever so slightly better, but not by much. Neither side made convincing arguments and they were mostly based on opinions. Lastly, only Pro used sources.