Corrupted_Ideal
maxprimo

Halo is better than Left 4 Dead

Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Looking to have a fun debate before I begin with super-serious debates, since people get so arrogant and overly defensive when I ask all the difficult questions. Like seriously? Lighten up.. it's just a website for exchanging words and ideas, and giving some concepts some consideration.

At the end of the day, no-one really has the ultimate truth. Why people get so fired-up and unnecessarily aggressive and rude is beyond me, so let's start with something simple.

I hold the position that Halo is better than Left 4 Dead. In the second round, I will propose my reasons.. in the first round I'd just like to state which side I'm in, and hopefully my opponent will state which side they're on. I'm sure we can have a lot of fun with this without being immature or getting pissed off, can't we?

Thanks for humoring me. I look forward to hearing your reasons.
maxprimo

Con

I accept this debate.

As you did not specify what halo game you are debating and since you aren't debating each series, the games that we are defending will be the original games.

I am arguing that "Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)" Is not better than "Left 4 Dead (2008)"

Better:|Adjective|
Greater in excellence or higher in quality.

If you are unwilling to continue this debate with the rules and guidelines set in round one than just tell me that you forfeit, don't just post nothing.

All the rules have been set and nothing can be changed after this round.

-Max
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

I accept your challenge, and thank-you for your participation. I originally was going to argue the Halo series in general, and the Left 4 Dead series in general, but I'm willing to argue with just the original games.

Halo: Combat Evolved was arguably one of the most revolutionary games ever released in history. It revolutionized first-person shooters, much like Wolfenstein first introduced first-person shooters to the world, and has been the leading inspiration for every FPS that was released afterwards, including Call of Duty, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, and many, many more. All of those games listed have their own style of first-person shooter, but I argue that their central inspiration came from the original Halo game, and the games that followed afterward. Speaking from personal experience, it was the game that got me into xbox in the first place. It has over eight million copies sold, currently. Within the first 24 hours it had 170$ million in sales, and within the first week it had sold over 300$ million in one week.

I hope you're not arguing that Left 4 Dead is better than Halo: Combat Evolved because it is newer, since games released that are newer than older games are not necessarily better.I could give a whole list of newer games that completely fail compared to older games. Halo: Combat Evolved is also more memorable than Left 4 Dead in terms of nostalgia, and the campaign is much more intricate and complex. There is character-development in Halo, not so much in Left 4 Dead, and there is a much larger soundtrack used in Halo: Combat Evolved composed by Martin O'Donnel and Michael Salvatori.

Halo: Combat Evolved also not only revolutionized first-person shooters, but has also revolutionized online multiplayer. If I were to fail in arguing that Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, and Gears of War based many of their ideas and style of FPS off of Halo: Combat Evolved, I would most certainly not fail if I argued that the multiplayer modes in Call of Duty, Gears of War, etc. took most of their ideas from Halo. I will, however, say that Left 4 Dead was more original in their style of multiplayer, and more than likely did not copy from Halo in that regard at all. However, Left 4 Dead's multiplayer is more or less just the campaign, only more people can play as the opposing zombie team that tries to kill you. It's a cool feature and all, but really pales in comparison to the multiplayer feature that Halo presents to us. You get a whole list of sometimes huge, sometimes small maps for close-ranged or long-ranged combat, you get an assortment of different weapons and vehicles to carry out your assault on the enemy team, and you also get multiple different features of multiplayer from Slayer, Capture the Flag, Assault, etc.

When it comes to storyline, I don't think I need to spend too much time arguing that Halo's story is so expansive and intrinsically complex in the sense that there is so much background information that isn't even present within the first game, and the concepts in general are all far superior to Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead doesn't even really have a story. The story is that you have four survivors who need to fight through hordes of zombies to get to their next destination. There isn't even really room for exploration, unless you want to risk getting killed. It is essentially a survival horror, whereas Halo is more of a sci-fi, futuristic first-person shooter that keeps its gamers deeply engaged in the story, the music, the dialogue, and the adventure in general. Left 4 Dead loses its playability after awhile, especially campaign mode. Campaign mode gets unbearably boring after you play it a number of times. It is the versus mode that it's basically known for. Halo: CE can be played many, many times, campaign or multiplayer, and not really lose a person's interest.

In summary, Halo: CE is superior to Left 4 Dead because of its campaign, its multiplayer, the soundtrack, the storyline, the fact it can be re-played many times, sold more copies the first week and sold more copies in general, has a satisfying ending that leaves room open for a sequel, has many different objectives and strategies in completeing a level, and has many plot-twists and climatic scenes.

When people hear the name Left 4 Dead, a hundred memories and moments can come to mind. But when people hear the name Halo: Combat Evolved, a million memories and moments can come to mind.

You have the floor. Again, thank-you for participating in this fun little debate. I'm sure you, like myself, played and enjoyed both of these games. It is now up to you to show me and those who view this debate, why Left 4 Dead is superior to Halo: Combat Evolved. Good luck. :)
maxprimo

Con

maxprimo forfeited this round.
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

My opponent has missed the deadline to post his argument, which is okay.. we have lives outside of the internet, after-all. So I will allow him to post his argument, refutations, and reasons why Left 4 Dead is better than Halo: Combat Evolved, in the next round.

I am satisfied with my argument as it stands, and feel no need to add anything.
maxprimo

Con

maxprimo forfeited this round.
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Corrupted_Ideal forfeited this round.
maxprimo

Con

maxprimo forfeited this round.
Corrupted_Ideal

Pro

Corrupted_Ideal forfeited this round.
maxprimo

Con

maxprimo forfeited this round.
Posted by THEVIRUS 4 years ago
THEVIRUS
I'm giving full 7 to pro if you miss the next deadline, even though that might end up happening anyways. Ideal, check out the forum halo 5 and the next xbox
Posted by Corrupted_Ideal 4 years ago
Corrupted_Ideal
It's okay. Life happens. I will allow you to make up for in round 3, you can list all your refutations and also list why you feel Left 4 Dead is better than Halo.
Posted by maxprimo 4 years ago
maxprimo
Damn, I missed the deadline
Posted by Corrupted_Ideal 4 years ago
Corrupted_Ideal
I think the Halo v. Call of Duty has already been done in a debate.. but I'd totally debate for the sake of Halo being superior to Call of Duty. I'm not sure what the results were for the other debate, anway.. thanks for the suggestion. :)
Posted by THEVIRUS 4 years ago
THEVIRUS
You guys should play SCP-087-B and compare that to slender.
Oh and I will do a debate- CoD series v. Halo series- with whoever sends me the response first.
Posted by Corrupted_Ideal 4 years ago
Corrupted_Ideal
Actually, I do find that game pretty scary.. maybe we should have a debate, after this one is finished, over which is scarier..

Dead Space or Slender... or anything, really. I love videogame debates. :)
Posted by maxprimo 4 years ago
maxprimo
Afraid to play slender?