JamesTeranov
anonymousforensicsalumni

Halo is better than cod

JamesTeranov

Pro

An overall general introduction on why Halo is better.

Why?
Simple really...

The story. very deep, engaging and emotional story that spawned many novels to make a truly unique and engaging universe. Everything connects.
Plus the multiplayer which is more skilled based and balanced that MLG played the most.
Plus the nostalgic award winning soundtrack. Audio is everything.
And extra content (Forge, Custom Games, Theater, Firefight, Spartan Ops, Red Vs Blue, Forward Unto Dawn, Halo Legends, Arby 'n' the Chief, Best Vehicular Controls in any FPS etc,)
Balanced and skill based multiplayer witch caters for the hardcore MLG players (Team S.W.A.T, MLG, Team Doubles etc. playlists) and casual gamers (Social Big Team, Griffball, Forge and custom games etc.)
Great and solid gameplay - sandbox battles (not just a corridor shooter), vehicles, amazing unpredictable A.I. etc.

Round 2 campaign maybe?
anonymousforensicsalumni

Con

Call of Duty in this day is more prevalent.

More people play Call of Duty now in 2015 simply because of preference. Although halo is still a military war based game, it is too based from the future that it become a little bit of a fantasy - can be even called delusional in a sense. Because of this although there is still a player base that would say they like to play it the game generally feels unrealistic. This argument is purely based on opinion but if you agree look into the negative side of this topic. The pro side talks about the story line of Halo again not only is it too unrealistic but usually the story line does not drive the playable aspect of the game more so the streamline ability of the multiplayer and online counterpart of the game. CoD provides a realistic alternative and a more competetive scene than Halo although CoD has not reached the MLG level of Halo it still counters the fact the CoD has more player base and more people generally prefer the game. In addition CoD (Call of Duty) was not meant to be a proffesional game anyway its more so that a person can enjoy the game at home with the option to play a little bit competetively online. You could say that Halo has the benefit of being able to earn money. But on the other side the player base of Call of Duty do not require to earn currency. It is on the other side of the spectrum that you have to work for it to be able to play it and you dont have to deal with the stress of being too competitive because of a pro scene.
JamesTeranov

Pro

JamesTeranov forfeited this round.
anonymousforensicsalumni

Con

anonymousforensicsalumni forfeited this round.
JamesTeranov

Pro

Excuse my tardiness.. was at a wedding and doing a bit of drinking.. sure you know yourself.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Rebuttal to what you have said in Round 1:

a) "Call of Duty in this day is more prevalent." and "More people play Call of Duty now in 2015 simply because of preference"

This doesn't necessarily make it a better game.

There can be many reasons for this.
From
1) It's MULTI-PLATFORM game. Meaning people who have only a playstation never really played Halo. (Wider Audience)
2) Cod is forced onto us EVERY year. It is heard yearly. Kids want the next NEW thing that their friends have.. peer pressure and such.
3) It is an arcade style game.. easy to pick up and play.
4) People, manly kids are put off by the skill level required to play Halo. and other games.
5) Many people, mainly kids would prefer an easy to pick up online arcade shooter that requires literally no skill than a game with an engrossing story and a game that takes time to master.

b) "it is too based from the future that it become a little bit of a fantasy - can be even called delusional in a sense. Because of this although there is still a player base that would say they like to play it the game generally feels unrealistic."

Fantasy??.. Unrealistic??.. Delusional??
I'm sorry are we not talking about video games?? are we not taking about an entertainment medium.
What gives you the right to suggest games that are more realistic than other are superior to games that aren't without reasoning???
I mean video games is another form of the entertainment medium, like TV Shows and Movies. Everyone knows tv shows and movies that are fantasy based like Game of Thrones and unrealistic like Lord of The Rings are usually more entertaining than CSI, Jersey Shore, chick flicks etc.

This is my take on realism in games. Many cod lovers I have debated against us REALISM as their main topic to their argument. I always come back and say:

Of course its more realistic. Doesn't make it better. Halo is not trying nor meant to be realistic.
Mass Effect isn't Realistic
KOTOR isn't Realistic
Oblivion isn't realistic
Fallout 3 isn't realistic
Half Life isn't realistic
They are all considered best games of this generation.
Realism doesn't define if a game is better.
What counts is the great campaign, character development, great sound design, creativity and competitive and fair yet fun multiplayer.
All of which Halo has in spades

c) "The pro side talks about the story line of Halo again not only is it too unrealistic but usually the story line does not drive the playable aspect of the game more so the streamline ability of the multiplayer and online counterpart of the game."

too unrealistic??? I will not go into this again. Refer you to the above statement.
But on a short note.. Is Game of Thrones, Gardians of the Galaxy, Lord of The Rings, Half Life, Gears of War, Skyrim.. "too unrealistic" ??? I mean making the argument 'a game is better because it's more real' or 'a game is not better because its too unreal" makes for a very idiotic argument indeed.

The Pro side for Halo is both story, gameplay, multiplayer and creativity. The story of Halo is known to be one of the best storylines in gaming history.. therefore it would be a massive driving factor to those who buy it. Sure teh original Halo troligy was at it's core bought for story and then secondly online. Many othet people for both equally. Many people who bought it back in the day didn't even have online capability. The playable aspect of Halo's games are everything from the campaign to multiplayer.

d) "CoD provides a realistic alternative and a more competitive scene than Halo although CoD has not reached the MLG level of Halo it still counters the fact the CoD has more player base and more people generally prefer the game."

Yes cod does provide more of a realistic alternative.. but that alone does not make it better in fact a game trying to be realistic has it;s limitations (for example Halo has gravity and speed game settings where a many a game types with jet packs etc were created for fun). Again I shall refer you to my 'why realism doesn't necessarily make a game better' above.

You actually said it in your sentence that Halo is the more competitive game. By saying Halo is played most in MLG, assists you in this albeit unintentionally I guess. Yes more people do play cod (I gave my 5 reasons as to why above - MULTI-PLATFORM) again does not make it more competitive.

e) "In addition CoD (Call of Duty) was not meant to be a professional game anyway its more so that a person can enjoy the game at home with the option to play a little bit competitively online."
and
"It is on the other side of the spectrum that you have to work for it to be able to play it and you dont have to deal with the stress of being too competitive because of a pro scene."

Firstly, are you not contradicting these 2 sentences with the one above. I mean at first you say Cod is more competitive and now you are saying "dont have to deal with the stress of being too competitive."

Secondly while cod does have an easy to pick up and play mentality to it.. that is all it has... which is why many kids prefer it to halo, which is another reason why cod is more popular.
Halo has BOTH the competitive skill based gameplay that requires a bit of time (not that much) to get used to you STILL have other playlists like SOCIAL PLAYLISTS (Social Slayer, action sack, rocket race, griffball etc) and FORGE and Custom games to appeal to people who don't want the competitive scene. Halo caters to a wide variety of gamers.

Lastly I would like to give Halo a bit of credit for this as a game that therefore being more competitive makes it a damn better online matchmaking game for many reasons like you see more strategic thinking, team work, precise aiming and overall skill and generally friendlier people for because of these attributes that are found in Halo.

So being the more competitive game triumph that of just have an easy to pick up and lay game. Competitive aspect in Halo brings a lot more to it's game like the multiplayer being more fun because there is more satisfaction in knowing you outsmarted your opponent than 'who sees who first' seen in cod.

2. Campaign
This is my argument for Halo having the better campaign.

Why Halo's campaign/story is much better than call of duties plus why having a continuous storyline and spin-off storylines all within and connected to the same lore of the universe is better:

It is widely known having an epic expansive lore about a games universe draws people into a game. Games that have this lore are stories usually told over many games and connects everything together. Everyone knows franchises like Mass Effect, Half Life, Skyrim, Fallout etc are better than your stand alone franchise like Battlefield, Rainbow Six and cod etc.. These games are are at the top of the list of games last generation and usually have novels, graphic novels and such written about it's universe BECAUSE it's so engaging. Mass Effect has it's graphic novels and Halo has not just novels but New York Best sellers (Highest accolade for a novel). With the backstories created by these novels ENRICHES the universe further and is brought into future games.
Cod has nothing. Don't get me wrong cods campaign is good great actually but it is no Halo and is not in the same category. It's mediocre. It is widely known that cod's campaign is a one play-trough type of thing and everyone just goes to the multiplayer.

Now onto gameplay in the campaign. All cod is an arcade corridor shooter. Meaning it has a step by step constricted gameplay. Shoot in hallways and rooms (which is not bad) BUT that is all cod is and it gets very boring and bland very quick (hence the one time play-trough), Even the vehicle sections (if you can call them that) you are on a restricted path. Oh and nearly forgot the enemy A.I. is horribly predictable in cod. They spawn in the same play, usually walk to the same place, pop up in the same window etc.

Halo on the other hand has a lot more variety. You can do everything cod does plus more. Not only is Halo a corridor shooter it is a sandbox shooter too (Large open battles areas). No two battles is alike. Halo is known for it's infamous "30 seconds of fun"... ergo every 30 secs something new happens.
Go in all guns blazing
Stay back and snipe
or in Co-op do them both
Use a vehicle warthog with your co-op as driver/gunner Use a mongoose/Ghost/ Wraith/ Banshee
Sandbox Battles (wide open spaces) Many, Many different ways to advance and attack using strategies applied while""" playing with a brother or friend etc.
Halo: CE's enemy A.I is one of the best A.I. in any game and still does. They change things up. They flank you. They run away if their leader is dead etc.

Lastly SKULLS. You get skulls to change the gameplay up = more playtime. LASO anyone??

Oh wait I almost forgot. Sound design and audio is amazing, nostalgic and award winning. Audio IS everything in the entertainment medium from movies to games. It creates emotions. No doubt Halo beats cod in that category. When you think of music in games Halo will always be mentioned.

I'm Done. Believe me, I have more.
anonymousforensicsalumni

Con

Posted by JamesTeranov 2 years ago
JamesTeranov
Nur-Ab-Sal Hahah.. laughed at that. Yea just realised after I started the debate that I should of put 'Call of duty' instead of the widely known acronym (cod).
Posted by Nur-Ab-Sal 2 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Can I take this and argue that not only is cod better than halo, but any kind of fish is better than video games?