Solarman1969
Tatarize

Hanging Upside Down on a Regular Basis- another KEY FOR HEALTH

Solarman1969

Pro

I dont suppose there will be any opposition

But thought Id bring it up

any takers?

SOLARMAN
Tatarize

Con

Hanging Upside Down allows blood to rush to your head. That in and of itself isn't useful. Sometimes it helps as a diagnostic test of a tilt-table test, but by and large, hanging upside down infrequently or on a regular basis is not a key for heath.

You might faint, but that's about all it will do, slosh some blood around.
Solarman1969

Pro

WELCOME !

WELCOME TO SOLARMANS WORLD OF HEALTH

TODAYS TOPIC IS INVERSION; HANGING UPSIDE DOWN

ANOTHER OF SOLARMANS KEYS TO HEALTH !

History of Inversion

http://www.teeterhangups.com...

Inversion therapy has been used to relieve back pain as early as 400 BC when Hippocrates, the Father of Medicine, strung up a patient on a ladder with ropes and pulleys and allowed gravity to do its work. The concept of inversion was not widely recognized in the United States, however, until Dr. Robert Martin (a California osteopath, chiropractor and medical doctor) introduced the "Gravity Guidance System" in the 1960's. This revolutionary concept addressed the effects of gravity on the human body, the simple solution of inversion therapy, and the resulting benefits.

Dr. Martin had a "marketable personality." He was devoted to communicating the benefits of postural exchange including inversion, and the public responded well to his sincerity and honesty. Dr. Martin appeared on talk shows, and was featured in popular publications like The Wall Street Journal.

Dr. Robert Martin, Jr. published a book in the late 1970's. Together with the Gravity Guidance Inversion Table, the program caught on, experiencing increasing success. This encouraged other companies to enter the inversion market-products like the Bud Leach table and the BackSwing emerged. Gravity boots were popularized by the 1980 movie "American Gigolo" starring Richard Gere. By 1982, the inversion market had soared to over $70 million, with literally thousands of people incorporating inversion regularly into their lifestyle

Success comes with a price, however. Before soon, over forty manufacturers were producing inversion products. There was little differentiation between the products, which caused price wars among the companies. Some manufactures sacrificed quality so that they could offer cheaper products. The lack of attention to quality resulted in product failures, causing serious, sometimes deadly, harm to consumers.

Also, a medical study published in 1983 by Dr. Goldman and colleagues showed that inverted patients experienced an increase in blood pressure and internal eye pressure. The media widely reported the study, warning that stroke was a potential result of inversion. Two years following the inversion study, Dr. Goldman reversed his original position, stating, "New research shows that you are at no more of a stroke risk hanging upside down than if you are exercising right side up." More in-depth research found that the body actually has mechanisms that prevent damage from hanging upside down. In fact, while oscillating (inverting with movement), some of the patients' blood pressure actually dropped a few points. Experienced inverters also showed slower heart rates while inverted than when upright. (*Note: these studies were based on patients in generally good health. Make sure you review contraindications prior to inverting.)

Dr. Goldman stated that the warnings to the public about the dangers of inversion were "grossly inflated" and that in the 15 years these devices have been in use, there has not been one single stroke or cardiovascular incident documented. Note from Teeter Hang Ups: After 36 years, to the best of our knowledge this statement still remains valid.

Other universities, including Marquette, Iowa, and Portland studied inversion during this time, with results that vindicated Inversion as no more dangerous than other common fitness activities.

Unfortunately, the damage had already been done. The poor quality equipment combined with misunderstandings of health risks resulted in a decline of consumer confidence in inversion products. Inversion went from a multi-million dollar market to one that struggled to survive. The use of Inversion therapy shrank to virtually exclusive use by a few "in the know", including chiropractors, physical therapists, sports trainers and professional athletes. Of the forty plus manufacturers in business in the early 1980's, Hang Ups was the only company to continuously promote inversion products to present.

After a number of years fighting to rebuild the reputation of Inversion therapy, Teeter Hang Ups has witnessed tremendous growth in the use of inversion products in the late nineties. Inversion fits well with the "whole body wellness" trend that has evolved in the U.S. recently, and has become widely recognized as an effective and viable form of natural therapy. The wide-ranging benefits of Inversion apply to all age ranges and fitness levels.

In fact, after several years of evaluation, the US Army Physical Fitness School has decided to incorporate Inversion into its world-wide physical training doctrine. The Army Rangers at Fort Benning, GA use gravity boots to invert, "reversing" the damage done to their bodies during their demanding training. To them, Inversion represents the "Quiet Side of Fitness"-a restorative fitness tool to help decompress and mobilize joints to prevent injuries. Soldiers use gravity boots to stretch while inverted, moving joints through their full range of motion. To witness soldiers using Teeter Hang Ups Gravity Boots, visit the U.S. Army Physical Fitness School web site here. (Note: The U.S. Army cannot endorse any specific brand of inversion products.)

Better Back, Better Body

The benefits of inversion therapy

Reduce back pain
Relieve stress
Improve circulation and lymph flow
Increase oxygen to the brain
Reduce the effects of aging caused by gravity
Benefits to the athlete

So you think hanging upside down to relieve back pain is some wacky, new-age idea? Think again. It's documented that Inversion was used as early as 400 B.C., when Hippocrates, the father of medicine, first watched a patient have his knees bound and ankles tied to a ladder to be hoisted upside down for a dose of what's come to be known as spinal traction.

The Greek theories on inversion are still valid, but today there is a much easier way to relieve the back pains most people experience from time to time. The process is called Inversion therapy, and it can be the natural way to a better back and a better body.

Not only can inversion therapy be used to treat back pain, but it also can be used as a method to reverse other negative effects that gravity has on your body. Inversion represents the Quiet Side of Fitness, helping your body to recover from the compressive effects of gravity and daily activities. Doctors, physical therapists and sports trainers recognize inversion as a safe and effective form of therapy for the spine and weight-bearing joints. In fact, the US Army is writing Inversion into its worldwide physical training manual that will be adopted for the new millennium.

Whatever your reason for inverting, Teeter Hang Ups� Inversion Equipment provides a safe and easy method to turn your world upside down.

Inversion Can Help to Relieve Many Forms of Back Pain

There are many causes of back pain, including poor posture, weak back and stomach muscles, and muscles spasms to name a few. Many of these causes can actually be attributed to one force we must all battle: gravity.

So how can Inversion help you to relieve your back pain?

Quite simply, inversion therapy puts gravity to work for you by placing your body in line with the downward force of gravity. Inversion elongates the spine, increasing the space between the vertebrae, which relieves the pressure on discs, ligaments and nerve roots. Less pressure means less back pain.

SOLARMAN RECOMMENDS

Gravity boots (if you are young and minimally agile)
-
- these can be easily taken anywhere-

- any child playground has somewhere to hang

- rack can be placed in door and removed

Inversion Table (older , heavier etc)

easier to use

a little more expensive , requires space, not for travel

TO YOUR HEALTH!

SOLARMAN
Tatarize

Con

Hanging upside down can reduce some back pain temporarily, it isn't take seriously and shouldn't really be done. There are much better treatments and they involve just stressing your back the other way. Hanging upside down, just gives me a headache and the fact that most of the stuff you do can't be done upside down will clearly explain the "reduced stress" -- You could get that by sleeping in. Increased oxygen to your brain? That's because that's where all the blood. Aging isn't caused by aging. Hanging upside down doesn't make stuff stop sagging it just sags up for a bit.

This is neither needed on a regular basis or ever, and certainly isn't a key for health.
Solarman1969

Pro

Since my opponent is really naive and doesnt have ANY arguments

I am just going to post case studies and personal accounts

Inversion table relieves sciatica pain

At 40 years old and relatively fit, I was having back problems and sciatica. It's hard to explain- tightness, flashes of pain, etc. About once very six months I'd pull a muscle in my back and be practically incapacitated for 2-3 days. Since then, I started running which had always helped my back (go figure) and once I lost a few pounds I noticed that I was getting sciatica
nerve pain in the hip traveling down the leg. I started using an inversion table for this purpose. I have to say that I am over all very well pleased with it. I do not sell inversion tables or anything like that. It's hard to find real info from someone who is not trying to sell you one, and that is why I am writing this. The decompression (when it happens) is quite sudden and a little scary, you will feel it "pop" and your whole body, below the decompression, will drop a little bit, almost like popping a knuckle joint or something like that, but instantly you will feel strange sensations--I had increased blood flow and more mobility. Note--this does not happen all at once. First of all you probably will try it several times and not get anything. The key is being comfortable with it and being able to relax on the table. If you cannot relax on the table it will be a lot tougher to decompress. It is a standard in my regimen now and I know when I need to "rack out" as I call it. When I feel a tightness or a twinge I will decompress. Sometimes it takes once a day for a week to get the right decompression that I need to take the twinge away but it has not failed me yet.

From: Georgia Dawg – Georgia, USA

source: http://www.spine-health.com...

Inversion table and pilates helped my low back pain

I had a 2 level diskectomy L4-5-S1 in '85 and did well until 3 years ago. I began to have lower back pain after exercise (biking usually), so I purchased a Hang-Ups Inversion table. After 2-3 weeks of using this daily, my pain essentially was gone. I also had some pilates instruction to help with core strengthening. As family physician, I have prescribed inversion tables to at least 30 patients who have had excellent results in general (~70%). I also encourage stretching, aerobic exercises, weight loss etc.

From: Art Sands MD

source: http://www.spine-health.com...

Inversion traction and pilates help my DDD

I have severe degenerative disc disease with referred pain into my left hip and numbness down my left foot. I have found that inversion traction helps eliminate the pain especially if I have been bending and lifting doing outside work or if I sit too long. This traction table can be purchased at Sams Club. I have also found Pilates exercises to be beneficial in maintaining core strength and improving my posture. A Pilates Reformer exercise unit is easy to set up and has videos with varying degrees of difficulty.

From: Wondershire – Arkansas, USA

OVERVIEW OF BACK HEALTH (http://www.backhealth.com...)

Eliminating the main cause of back problems

To understand the intricacies of the back, you first must learn how the spine functions mechanically. To begin, two generalizations about the relationship between back muscle performance and back pain must be understood. Spinal muscles are the only motion generators in the spine, and they contribute to back pain in two ways: First, spinal muscles, weakened from lack of use, allow the spine to misalign and/or to collapse upon itself, and pain is generated by nerves pinched between vertebrae. Or, second, when a back has suffered the trauma of a direct blow, the ensuing pain results in restricted and altered motion such that spinal muscles atrophy and lose strength and coordination. In the first case, poorly-conditioned spinal muscles actually promote the condition that causes pain. In the second case, inactivity resulting from the pain of trauma allows spinal muscles to weaken. In both cases, fully healing the back requires that spinal muscles must be re-strengthened and re-coordinated. Only exercise can do this, but it must be proper exercise, precisely and safely done on precise and safe equipment. The movement best suited for strengthening backs is called the back extension exercise. The back extension exercise improperly performed on improper equipment can actually aggravate an already painful back, so be cautious about how this exercise is approached. BackHealth� solves this problem with copyrighted exercises performed upon safe, patented equipment. Caution: Do not underestimate the value of performing the back-extension exercise safely, on precise equipment precisely designed to protect the spine during this critical movement. Attempting this exercise on standard gym equipment can cause serious injury.

Repairing a damaged back

Second to muscle failure, intervertebral discs are next in line as contributors to back pain, but what is a intervertebral disc? What is its function? What about a collapsing (degenerating) disc? And, how does one un-collapse (regenerate) a disc? The intervertebral disc is a spongy, wafer-like, shock-absorbent cushion located between the vertebrae. While the muscles that support spinal structure are being re-strengthened, narrowing (degenerating) disc(s) must be re-established as nearly as can be done. This is not perfect science, but the theory works. The only known technique for re-establishing spinal discs is to stretch the spine. Stretching the spine creates negative pressure within the disc such that it may intake fluid and build new disc tissue (pulposa). Traction has been the method of choice for stretching the spine, but traction is unnatural, expensive, restrictive, painful, and limited in daily application cycles. BackHealth� equipment stretches the spine naturally with the lumbar-stretch exercise�. This stretch may be done several times daily at home at no cost beyond the original cost of the equipment, and to the limit one feels comfortable. The lumbar stretch exercise is copyrighted.

Spinal discs have no direct blood supply. Discs depend entirely upon hydration cycles to intake nutrients needed by disc cells to regenerate disc material, and to expel breakdown products. Picture in your mind a compressed sponge being released under water. What happens? The sponge intakes water. What happens when you squeeze a sponge filled with water? It expels its contents. Like a sponge, discs compress when loaded, when you are standing. When unloaded—when you are lying down or when your spine is purposefully stretched—your discs intake nutrients. Discs intake tissue-building products from the nutrient-rich mucous membrane that surrounds the spine, deposited there by the blood stream. With precise stretching on precise equipment, the disc may be hydrated several times daily, and hydrated naturally. With increased hydration cycles comes increased opportunity for specialized cells within the disc to build new disc tissue (pulposa), and healing accelerates.
Added Benefits

Physical benefits of a healthy back

There is a further benefit to purposeful disc hydration. With the deliberately-accomplished hydration cycles of the lumbar-stretch exercise�, the loss of height associated with aging—from tip-of-toe to crown-of-head—lessens and may cease altogether. Most shrinkage of height noted with age occurs within the spine, and this accumulated effect of gravity can only be countered by gentle, regular stretching of the spine.
Tatarize

Con

"Hanging upside down can reduce some back pain temporarily." - I specifically conceded that hanging upside down can reduce some back pain for some short period of time. The topic however is that hanging upside down "ON A REGULAR BASIS" -- you've never cited anything to suggest else wise.

1) Hanging upside down can temporarily reduce back pain.
2) Hanging upside down can not reduce back pain pain over the long term.
3) Hanging upside down isn't a key to health, nor on a regular basis.

The Mayo Clinic on Inversion Therapy:
http://www.mayoclinic.com...

"Inversion therapy is often promoted as a therapy for back pain. But there's no scientific evidence that it provides long-term pain relief."

"Inversion therapy is one example of the many ways in which traction — stretching the spine — has been used in an attempt to relieve back pain. But traction is falling out of favor with many in the medical community. Well-designed studies that have evaluated traction for back pain have found no significant long-term benefit."

"A potential problem with inversion therapy is that it may significantly increase blood pressure in your head. For this reason, you should not try inversion therapy if you have heart disease, high blood pressure or eye diseases, such as glaucoma, or if you are pregnant."

-- Minimal effect on short term pain, that's a far cry from evidence that it promotes health or should be done on a regular basis.
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
ignore me at your own peril

SOLARMAN
Posted by anwermate 9 years ago
anwermate
Good job Solarman!!! Once again you've showed up us kids by proving to us your amazing copy and paste skills!!! One would think that after a point your fingers might get tired from pressing control C and control V so much, but you showed me that anything is possible!
Posted by Chuckles 9 years ago
Chuckles
ever since the "solarman is a douche" debates i just laugh when i read the topics and comments he leaves...and some arguments.
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
thats cause you are an ingorant child with no clue

maybe someday you will have a brain

for now you are the scarecrow

you kids are exactly why the voting age is 18
Posted by kenito001 9 years ago
kenito001
"Since my opponent is really naive and doesnt have ANY arguments"

You said it best. That's how we all feel whenever we read your debates.
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
Its YOUR back- you decide what is good and what is not

remember this simple fact

GRAVITY beats down on you your whole life
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
are you afraid of me?

I have to wonder

you sholdnt be!

cheers !

Solarman
Posted by GBretz 9 years ago
GBretz
Solar, by retyping the info you imply that you have actually read and understood the information enough to believe the issue and to come up with valid points. Since you copy and paste frequently (as seen in previous debates), this assumption cannot be made with confidence. Also, retyping the information could make it more readable, since I didn't find your argument incredibly easy on the eyes. Out of courtesy, we would all appreciate you putting a little more time into your arguments.
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
Why shouid I retype the info?

please explain, weidro Chickenman
Posted by Chickenman 9 years ago
Chickenman
Solarman copied and pasted half of his debate. Our should I say www.teeterhangups.com's debate
Vote Placed by Tatarize 7 years ago
Tatarize
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by kenito001 9 years ago
kenito001
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Greendonut 9 years ago
Greendonut
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by anwermate 9 years ago
anwermate
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by sirdebatesalot 9 years ago
sirdebatesalot
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by fightinirish1986 9 years ago
fightinirish1986
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by GBretz 9 years ago
GBretz
Solarman1969TatarizeTied
Vote Placed by JustCallMeTarzan 9 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Solarman1969TatarizeTied