Skept
battle90

Happiness is the ultimate goal of all lives

battle90 has forfeited round #2.

Skept

Pro

Happiness is the ultimate goal of all lives. Question about the reason for activities of lives: Why act so? Repeating this task, we can find the final cause, happiness in the end.
battle90

Con

I will argue that happiness is NOT the ultimate goal in our lives. Instead, I would like to say that survival is.

I am new to this site and so may not be very good at debating. However, I will try my best.

My point here is that happiness is what we want and try to achieve. It is important but not the ULTIMATE goal in life. All organisms NEED to survive, so therefore, I believe that survival is the ultimate goal.
Skept

Pro

What is the reason for that happiness is not the ultimate goal of lives? You already agreed with my opinion by saying 'happiness is what we want and try to achieve.'

There is no proof for organisms need to survive. Do people think mosquitoes, terrorists need to survive?

If 'all organisms need to survive' is correct, How can you conclude 'survival is the ultimate goal' from this premise? All organisms need nutrition. Could we infer that nutrition is our final goal?

Survival is not the final goal. Some animals involving humans decide to die for happiness. They think that death is good for own or other's happiness. Recall suicides, soldiers, martyrs and so on. They apparently want to achieve happiness more than survival.
Posted by ignoranus 7 months ago
ignoranus
Goal by google definition
the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result:

Maybe I'm just being a pedant, but wouldn't survival as a goal be highly contextual? Life threatening situation, for instance.

Unless surviving in this context is not not dying.. then I'd think both opponents from seemingly opposing sides would be arguing the same thing if not for a semantical issue.
Posted by JordanCJKM 7 months ago
JordanCJKM
Just curious. If a guy dies from age someday in the future, does that mean he or she has not achieved the ultimate goal of survival? I don't know if this is even related to the question.