person_16
MoonDragon613

Hardly Fair: A Silly School Dress Code Debate

person_16

Pro

Just a short while ago, I was innocently sitting in the cafeteria eating the excruciating and sorry excuse for a burger, when out of nowhere I expirienced a heat wave course through me. So in response, I took off my jacket for a moment and continued ingesting the disgusting meal. I wore beneath my jacket a light-blue shirt, which barely showed my, ehem, bra straps. But it was only a minute afterwards that one of the supervisors patrolling the cafeteria was on my back, demanding that I put my jacket back on. I did so with no argument, but as the supervisor walked away, a thought occured to me.

What makes it justified for most girls to wear these short-shorts and very mini-mini skirts that barely conceal what so desperately should be concealed, but if another girl's bra-strap shows a little, it's to be rebuked? Why can some girls go through the day unprovoked about their wild dyed-black hair with pink and red and blue streaks throughout but a boy with slight facial hair is given a crappy disposable razor and a helping of shame and sent to the restroom to take care of that problem? Why doesn't anyone get onto the boys wearing hats with marajuana(sp?) leaves on the front and alchohol references all over a black t-shirt?

If the school is going to make a dress code, than they should make a better effort to enforce it, shouldn't they? No one should be able to slip through the cracks.
MoonDragon613

Con

"If the school is going to make a dress code, than they should make a better effort to enforce it, shouldn't they? No one should be able to slip through the cracks."

I assume this statement is the "resolution" of this debate. And if so, then I disagree. Completely.

Why SHOULD schools uniformly enforce their dress code? I'm personally against dress codes. They might be better than school uniforms, but still, if there's no law against it, I feel students should have the right to wear what they want. And look how they want. Heck, if a boy wants to come into school in a dress, all the power to him. And so if you (the readers) are also against dress codes, then you would also be against the enforcement of dress codes, for the same reasons you are against dress codes. Therefore, regardless if the school has a dress code or not, it shouldn't be enforced.

If you (the other readers)are FOR dress codes, then here's why schools should not "make a better effort" to enforce their dress codes anyway:

The School's dress code, and enforcement policy, were designed to be as effective as possible.
While we might like to think that Schools are all powerful, let's face it, it's just not the case. The best enforcement policy is one that curtails some clothing styles while incurring the least level of resistance. A rigid enforcement of a strict school dress code could stir up unwanted controversy which distracts from teaching. It could also stir up enough controversy and resistance to render the code useless if too many students flaunt the dress code. So let schools enforce their dress codes as they see fit in order to make the dress code effective and respectable.

-Hear me Roar!
Posted by legs.guy 1 year ago
legs.guy
i know im young but going to high school myself, i see a lot of girls, especially on the sports teams like the girls volleyball team wearing their very tiny tight spandex shorts showing off their entire legs and the cheerleaders sowing off their legs and stomachs. even other girls showing off their entire legs.....i heard from one girl how cute it was having the guys in her class be all into her legs. she loved that attention.....it was kinda weird
Posted by Everett_Tsosie 7 years ago
Everett_Tsosie
School dress has always been an issue. It will never go away. Its a battle between the conservative teachers and the kids that want to show their individuality. Both sides have to compromise. It is unfortunate that over the years the kids aren't allowed voting their options. Give them the right to decide for themselves and have their parents in on the conversation because it is also the parents that provided the money to get the clothes for a majority of the kids. Now what the school should do is educate the kids on why they need to dress a certainty. What are the safety factors and the perceptions that are out there? Like for example, if a girl dresses provocatively, that will attract the wrong type of people that tend to do harm to the girl. If a guy, dresses certain way that will attract trouble from other guys or adults. The kids want to express themselves. Give them the opportunity, but give them the reasons why they shouldn't. Give examples of what happened and give testimonials of what happened. Kids always naturally push against the adult, that's why they are kids. Adults don't do that to each other and will tend to listen first then react.

I have seen in my life time, I've seen my kids turn around. I opened up and said go ahead, but here is what I am concerned about. I also told my daughter, that in this world it is the girl that is victimized more than boys because of the society. The more women are pushing for rights, guys that don't like it will react, especially those that got hurt by it. I also noted that the body structure between boys and girl are different and god met for it to be that way. So, we need to understand when we can stand or run. If someone cannot beat you at something, they will to find something wrong with you. So, it's up the individual. No says, that the kids can not make a stand.... just make sure the law is on your side. Good day.
Posted by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
that's special for you!!
now it's 25 characters!!
Posted by person_16 8 years ago
person_16
I don't believe this! It's not even fair that girls can dress like hookers at my school and get away with it...**pouts**

We have a girl on the dance team who goes all out on the itsy-bitsy skirts and even goes so far as to accessorize with fish-net stockings! The inhumanity! But no teacher stops her...

Oh god...I realize I'm sounding very much like a nun right now...(No offense to anyone)

By the way, this past Monday, I got 3 wisdom teeth pulled out. So my face is all swollen and I look and sound like Rocky Balboa...XD
Posted by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
not exactly the same. i just think you should be a little bit more polite, that's all.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
At least somewhat the same position hmm...
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
i'm not very nice about what?

In case you hadn't noticed we share the same position about this debate :D
Posted by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
Then I agree with person 16. It seems more logical. Ragner you aren't very nice.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Public schools do not have a right to exist, therefore, they do not have a right to a dress code. :D
Posted by person_16 8 years ago
person_16
Thank you!

And it's a public school.
Vote Placed by Everett_Tsosie 7 years ago
Everett_Tsosie
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by mindwarper10 7 years ago
mindwarper10
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by C4747500 8 years ago
C4747500
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by Cooperman88 8 years ago
Cooperman88
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by HCPwns95 8 years ago
HCPwns95
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by gonovice 8 years ago
gonovice
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 8 years ago
wooferalot101
person_16MoonDragon613Tied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 8 years ago
Vi_Veri
person_16MoonDragon613Tied