priankasubrahmanyam
CynicalDiogenes

Hare Krishna Hare Rama is offensive to Hindus.

CynicalDiogenes

priankasubrahmanyam

Pro

Hare Krishna Hare Rama is a cult that formed in California around a decade ago, and is mainly inhabited by non-Indian followers. I feel it is dominated too strongly by Western culture, almost to the point where it has insulted me personally. Recently they had their yearly Rath Yatra chariot pulling festival in my city, and I attended, thinking it was a Hindu devotional event (after all, traditional Hindus have festivals for the deities Rama and Krishna all the time). It was the FARTHEST thing ever from what I expected. These cult followers were doing unspeakable acts against Hinduism, including making rap songs about our Gods, and dancing around in unconservative clothing to them. The idols were caricatures of the traditional-style sculptures, painted in neon shades. I believe this organization is not doing the right thing by allowing mockery of a religion that is thousands of years old. Thank you for reading my stance.
CynicalDiogenes

Con

Being an Indian myself, i fully understand the reason why you took offense.However,I still believe that the Hare Krishna Hare Rama 'cult' is doing a valuable service by helping spread Hinduism in the west.

While India has a rich and ancient tradition, and Hinduism has many rituals that are several thousand years old, there is no one single doctrine that can claim to speak for Hinduism.Hinduism is more like a way of life aligned along universal principles rather than a religion.So nobody can claim that other ways of worship are wrong.

In the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna himself says,"If one offers Me anything with love and devotion,be it a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it. 9.26" Showing that devotion(Bhakti) alone is enough to secure his grace

Hinduism is different from other hate-mongering Abrahamic faiths in that it has always celebrated differences in methods of worship.Hence,I do not think any one Individual can determine what is acceptable or unacceptable. Most of the members of this 'cult' are new converts into Hinduism, and i see nothing wrong if they sing Rap songs and incorporate certain aspects of their culture. Since they are not intentionally insulting Hinduism, i don't see why anybody should take offense.

I recommend that you read more about Aghori Sadhus(who are widely respected all over India) to see the extent to which Hinduism is flexible and all encompassing.
priankasubrahmanyam

Pro

priankasubrahmanyam forfeited this round.
CynicalDiogenes

Con

does this count as a debate so that i can get voting rights?
priankasubrahmanyam

Pro

CynicalDiogenes

Con

i Think the instigator has forgotten about the debate.Please penalize accordingly.
priankasubrahmanyam

Pro

CynicalDiogenes

Con

CynicalDiogenes forfeited this round.
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Con if pro forfiets all rounds send me the debate and I will vote for you.
Posted by Mikelo 3 years ago
Mikelo
I think this needs some more clarity - "unspeakable acts?" Rapping about the glories of Lord Krishna is unspeakable? How? Also, non-conservative clothing? What's non-conservative? Plunging neckline? Swimsuits? Topless women?

Technically, the Hare Krishna movement isn't really Hinduism. The man who brought it over to the West, Srila Prabhupada, said himself, "We are not Hindus." I understand it's supposed to be a separate movement from Hinduism. In India, it's called Gaudiya Vaishnavism.

I think this argument definitely needs more clarity on how Western (white?) people celebrating the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krishna, in ways that are familiar to them is offensive. Unless they're having sex in the streets in His name, any way of celebrating Him is acceptable. I'm inclined to to believe this argument is based purely on racism and religious intolerance. Krishna is not an Indian.
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Also change the voting period to three days. :)
Posted by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
Reduce this to 3 rounds and I'll take it.
Posted by JustinAMoffatt 3 years ago
JustinAMoffatt
I see that you're new here, and would like to welcome you to DDO. :)

Just some tips:

Your resolution should reflect what you're proposing. If you're going to argue that this cult should be legally disbanded, make that the resolution. Your resolution is that "... is offensive to Hindus". Technically, since you are a Hindu, this resolution is hard to negate. The Con side can't prove that this cult doesn't offend you.

However, if you want a more meaningful debate, and truly mean that the U.S. government should abolish this practice, you should phrase the resolution (or topic) as such.

From a non-Hindu and experienced debater standpoint, I don't think you're going to be able to prove that Hare Krishna Hare Rama should be illegal. Sorry. The U.S.A is a country that allows free religious practice, so long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights.

But maybe you've got a trick up your sleeve I don't know about. I'm certainly not going to claim to be the most crafty debater here. ;)

Have fun. :) And I hope you enjoy DDO.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 3 years ago
johnlubba
priankasubrahmanyamCynicalDiogenesTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff