wjmelements
Justinisthecrazy

Harriet Beecher Stowe contributed to american racism.

wjmelements

wjmelements

Pro

This may surprise you. I will prove it next round when I present my case.
Justinisthecrazy

Con

you may present your case
wjmelements

Pro

If either of these contentions stands, I have won the debate.

1. The plays that resulted from Uncle Tom's Cabin were the origins of stereotypes against black americans.
2. She was the war monger behind the Civil War. This sudden end of slavery lead to many bitter southerners, who would grudge against blacks.

I would like to define a few terms for the convenience of the audience:
black american- an american of darker skin complexion
Civil War- (1861-1865) also known as 'Northern Oppression' and 'Lincoln's War'
Uncle Tom's Cabin- a book by Harriet Beecher Stowe that denounced slavery; a play from this book

1.
The play vividly portrayed slaves as uneducated (slaves were) and inarticulate.
Source:
Hulser, Kathleen. "Reading Uncle Tom's Image: From Anti-slavery Hero to Racial Insult." New-York Journal of American History 2003 65(1): 75–79. Issn: 1551-5486.

2.
Her book strengthened the abolitionist cause and made people demand an immediate end to slavery. While no politician ever endorsed this, the south was afraid that the north would do such a thing (because of the book). This lead to secession.

The Civil War was not about slavery until Harriet Beecher Stowe pressured Lincoln to sign the unconstitutional Emancipation Proclaimation.
In time, slavery would have naturally die down. Instead, slavery was put out like a fire. And many people held grudges against blacks after this.
Source:
http://judelfoir.wordpress.com...

Indubitably, Harriet Beecher Stowe contributed to the very racism that would make life for blacks worse than it was during slavery for years.
Justinisthecrazy

Con

I fail to see the civil war as a point to increase racism is contributed to her. By strengthing the abolitionist cause she makes people put an immediate demand to end slavery as you say. I fail to see how it caused the civil war and encouraged racism.

Harriet Beecher Stowe is predominantly known for her first, Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852). Begun as a serial for the Washington anti-slavery weekly, the National Era, it focused public interest on the issue of slavery, and was deeply controversial. In writing the book, Stowe drew on her personal experience: she was familiar with slavery, the antislavery movement, and the underground railroad because Kentucky, across the Ohio River from Cincinnatti, Ohio, where Stowe had lived, was a slave state. Following publication of the book, she became a celebrity, speaking against slavery both in America and Europe. She wrote A Key to Uncle Tom's Cabin (1853) extensively documenting the realities on which the book was based, to refute critics who tried to argue that it was inauthentic; and published a second anti-slavery novel, Dred in1856. It promotes a very anti-slavery anti-racism view and not a racist claim like my opponent claims. And it was at the time as my opponent says protraying these slaves as uneducated and they were so it is not racist it is merely an observation of truth.

Today, Uncle Tom's Cabin raises many questions. It requires readers to confront and think about racism, and theories of race in the United States. It provokes important questions about differing feminist ideologies and agendas across race and time" (Ammons, intro). Whatever our feelings about the novel, it remains one of the most influential American texts written by either man or woman. It is possibly the first American social protest novel, and anyone concerned with the state of race relations should read it.

I think my opponent has tried to skew the evidence that Harriet Stowe is not a racist but rather an abolitionist against racism and slavery.
wjmelements

Pro

My argument was definitely not that she was a racist but that she unknowingly contributed to racism.

Please note that part of my opponent's argument (the majority fo the second paragraph) is copied from the Harriet Beecher Stowe page on Wikipedia.

1. (conceded)
"And it was at the time as my opponent says protraying these slaves as uneducated and they were so it is not racist it is merely an observation of truth"
Yes. I have already said that it was true that slaves were uneducated ("The play vividly portrayed slaves as uneducated [slaves were] and inarticulate.")
This lead to stereotypes of the black race, which is a factor in racism.

2.
"I fail to see how it caused the civil war and encouraged racism."
Well, let's see what I've already said:
"In time, slavery would have naturally die down. Instead, slavery was put out like a fire. And many people held grudges against blacks after this."

My opponent is ignorant of my arguments. Perhaps next time he will read my arguments before assuming I am saying that she was a racist.

Concusion (and this has been conceded): Harriet Beecher Stowe unknowingly contributed to American Racism.
Because my opponent has conceded this debate and because of my case, I urge a PRO vote.

I thank my opponent for this debate.
Justinisthecrazy

Con

Harriet Beecher Stowe contributed to american racism is the name of the debate as seen in the clicking on to this page. I negate this because she did not.

conceding to the fact that blacks at this time were uneducated may proof grounds for stereotypes, but she was pointing out what was wrong and showing us how we need to get rid of the slavery, in order for everyone to have the chance to be equally educated to possibly end the stereotype.

Slavery in time would not have naturally died down, he has no warrant to back this. Slavery being put out like a fire was a good thing, if the book Harriet Stowe encouraged this, than what she encouraged was not racism at all but abolitionism.

I am not ignorant of your arguments, I did indeed read your arguments and the conclusion I drew was that you were saying the she was a racist. My misunderstanding.

One must look to the facts, uncle Tom's cabin shows anti-slavery and anti-racism views. How one can draw to the conclusion she contributed to racism is beyond me.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Good RFD, but:
"PRO used his own blog as a source"
Um, no. I used a blog as a source. You can penalise me for that, but that blog is not mine.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
Bad debate.

Conduct: Tie: Both sides were equally polite to each other.
Spelling and Grammar: Tie: Both sides had less than satisfactory spelling and grammar.
Convincing Arguments: PRO: I chose PRO on this because in the first round CON wasn't even debating the right subject. In the second he still didn't refute PRO's points in a satisfactory manner.
Reliable Sources: TIE: PRO used his own blog as a source and CON used direct quotes from wikipedia for half his first round argument without even giving a direct link to it.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Definitely needs more votes.
Vote Placed by TheCategorical 8 years ago
TheCategorical
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by dragonfire1414 8 years ago
dragonfire1414
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by Justinisthecrazy 8 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by crackofdawn_Jr 8 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 8 years ago
philosphical
wjmelementsJustinisthecrazyTied