Selene
vocaloidrocks

Harry Potter has a better plot, better characters, and better relationships than Twilight.

Selene

Pro

Hello. My name is Selene and this is my first debate on any debating site, so I apologize if I go about any procedures incorrectly. I thought I would start with a mild topic for my first debate before progressing to more difficult ones. So, I decided to do this topic.

I am arguing, "Harry Potter (The Book Series) has a better plot, better characters, and better relationships than Twilight (The Book Series)."

By better characters, I mean that Harry Potter characters are more well-developed and well written than Twilight characters. And by relationships, I am referring to how the characters interact with each other.

I will wait for the Con side to accept the challenge before I begin my arguments.
vocaloidrocks

Con

Hello, I am vocaloidrocks, and |I will be the negative for this debate. It is my first debate also, so I may make some mistakes as well.

My goal is to prove that the Twilight series has a better plot, better characters, and better then the Harry Potter series.

I will be waiting for the affirmative to provide their arguments. Hope this will be a great debate.
Selene

Pro

Thank you for accepting the challenge.

To begin my argument, I would like to say that both Twilight and Harry Potter and founded upon very clich" ideas. The ideas of a vampire/human relationship and a wizard being forced to save the world from a bad guy have been done many times before. However, from this, Twilight and Harry Potter must strive to show themselves as being unique and well-written, something that Harry Potter achieves but Twilight does not.

Twilight"s plot is very predictable. Girl meets vampire, vampire and girl fall in love and fight against other supernatural beings to stay together, a third person is added to the love triangle, vampire and girl live happily ever after. When I read the Twilight saga, I could predict every major event that was going to happen next. There was no suspense, no surprise. The only thing that really shocked (and disgusted) me was Jacob imprinting on Bella"s daughter. However, that event seemed more like a sloppy way to get Jacob out of the equation.

Harry Potter, on the other hand, has a plot that keeps me guessing till the very end. The idea of Horcruxes, for example, is very intriguing. Ginny Weasley opening the Chamber of Secrets came as an interesting plot twist. Not to mention, there"s a realism that"s inserted into Harry Potter that Twilight simply lacks. In Harry Potter, there are actual deaths of characters that are important to the plot. In Twilight, everyone lives happily ever after. That"s completely unrealistic.

Everything that is included in Harry Potter is there for a reason. For example, after you read the books once and then decide to read them again, you notice subtlety placed hints and foreshadowing. Trelawney"s prophecies are an example of this. For example, in the third book, Trelawney refuses to dine at a table of thirteen saying "when thirteen dine together, the first to rise will be the first to die". This turns out to be true because Albus Dumbledore is the first to rise and he is the first to die among those thirteen members. That is a sign of good writing. Details that are ignored upon first glance turn out to be very important.

Characters of Harry Potter are also more developed and realistic. All of them have their own flaws and their flaws are called out by others. Harry"s infamous temper and recklessness causes the death of his godfather, Hermione"s snobbiness and know-it-all attitude causes her to have no friends in the beginning, and Ron"s jealousy of his friend is called out. Not to mention, they all develop throughout the story. When Sirius dies, Harry reacts with anger, rage and shock. However, in the last book, when his closest friends die, he reacts with calmness and the wisdom of someone who knows that death is a part of life.

Twilight characters do not develop throughout the story. Not to mention, their flaws are glorified by the narrative. Edward and Bella are Mary-Sues. You may argue that they have their own "flaws", like Edward"s stalker attitude and possessiveness, Bella"s "lack of consideration" for others besides Edward, etc. However, flaws are meaningless unless they are called out in the book. Stephanie Meyer constantly reminds her readers of Bella"s "flaws", yet Bella"s flaws are not treated as flaws. Rather, they"re considered cute, or are completely disregarded by other characters. For example, Bella, the main character, is repeatedly described as plain. However, she is asked out constantly. The narrative glorifies Edward and Bella constantly by portraying their characters as perfect.

In Breaking Dawn, when the vampires confront the Volturi, there should've been some sort of battle. The vampires against the Volturi, willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of others. Rather, they only care about themselves and show no caring towards the lives that the Volturi will take if they are not put to a stop. The Cullens are selfish, yet this is not called upon.

The relationships are also very unhealthy. Bella and Edward"s relationship is written very poorly. Bella fawns over Edward, Edward fawns over Bella. The End. Edward is controlling of Bella, not allowing her to see her friends, thinks that he knows what"s best for her even though everything he does harms her, and is simply obsessive. Bella is also very reliant on Edward. When he leaves, she becomes a zombie, and then another boy comes into her life, and then she heals a bit, but only fully recovers when she has Edward back. So, apparently, Bella needs a boy in her life to feel complete. Great message, Stephanie.

Even Bella"s relationship with her father is degrading. While Bella assumes the role of a housewife, cooking and cleaning, her father drinks beer and watches TV. What a beautiful relationship. Not to mention, it is blatantly obvious that she would give up her father and basically anyone to save Edward/Nessie. She cares about nothing but getting her happily ever after.

I have many more points that I will bring up as the debate progresses. I look forward to hearing your rebuttals.
vocaloidrocks

Con

vocaloidrocks forfeited this round.
Selene

Pro

Selene forfeited this round.
vocaloidrocks

Con

vocaloidrocks forfeited this round.
Selene

Pro

Selene forfeited this round.
vocaloidrocks

Con

vocaloidrocks forfeited this round.