thepotterhead
Wwolfy13

Harry Potter is better than Twilight

thepotterhead

Pro

Better = richer plot, richer characters, better written, more creative, more interesting

I shall let my opponent start first.
Wwolfy13

Con

I dont believe that Harry Potter is better than Twlight for the following reasons: 1) Twlight teaches better life lessons, 2) Twlight is more believable and 3) Each of the Twlight books has itssub storythat adds to the franchise as a whole.
In the Twlight books, Bella has a job. She works for a living and earns every penny. On the other hand, Harry Potter inhereted thousands of Galleons, and has a magic wand that can perform any chore or problem in Harry's way. How is this good to our youth? Does teaching them that taking easy way out is always the most fun and rewarding really benefitial?
To get to Hogwarts you need to run into a wall and hope you dont splat and hop aboard a train that only kid wizards can ride. Once there you encounter ghosts, moving pictures, talking hats, and all manner of magical creatures. This entire story is not belivable at all! The Twlight story is based in Forks, Washington, takes place in a regular high school and only has 2 element of fantasy, the vampires and werewolves. Its easier to relate to a love-struck teen that a broomstick-riding, know it all little punk who claims that he is the chosen one.
Twlight (the 1st book) is about Bella first meeting Edward and falling in love with him which includes Bella being attacked by a new vampire. New Moon is about Edward leaving and Bella falling in love with Jacob, this introduces the werewolves and their storylines.Eclipse is about Bella chosing which side she wants to be on, this brings in the "new vampire" storyline. The 4th and final book is about the results of that choice, which brings Renesme into the mix. Even though all of the book have a diffrent theme and flow, they all revolve around the idea of True Love. Likewise, in Harry Potter every story is "Oh-no, a new magical thing has just occured", "We dont know any better, so lets go along with it" "Lord Voldemort is connected?! No way!" Every story in the Harry Potterfranchise is predictable and shallow.Thank you for your time.
thepotterhead

Pro

1) Twilight teaches better life lessons,"
Harry Potter and Twilight share a common theme - love. The life lessons are based off this common theme. In Twilight, the only love present was Bella and Edward. So to Stephenie Meyer, love means having a boyfriend or girlfriend. But in Harry Potter, we learn that love is more than that. You learn that love doesn't just mean having a boyfriend or girlfriend, it can also mean that you can love your family and friends. Bella doesn't care about her family much and she has absolutely no friends that she cares in the least for. Harry Potter goes deep and dark in its life lessons. We learn that death is "but the next great adventure" and so much more. What did Twilight teach me? Absolutely nothing.
"2) Twilight is more believable"
I fail to understand how this is a reason. Just because something is more far-fetched, it doesn't make it any worse than something that is more believable. And I actually think that Twilight is not believable because of the characters. No one is perfect like the main characters in Twilight. In Harry Potter, every character has flaws, and every character has a good and bad side, with the exception of Voldemort, who is purely evil. Our flaws are what make us what we are.
"3) Each of the Twilight books has itssub storythat adds to the franchise as a whole."
As does Harry Potter. But in Harry Potter, the little sub stories and random details all come together in the end so every little detail you thought was insignificant turns out to be much more.
"In the Twilight books...way."
Maybe because Harry has no time to get a job? And what jobs are available for him to take? Plus, he's an orphan, so without his parent's money, Harry wouldn't be able to afford the books, robes, etc. required for Hogwarts. Bella didn't earn every penny. She had parents that provided her with money and bought her a car and all. She just has a little part-time job. And I think you overlooked the fact Bella says she doesn't want to go to college because she wants to get turned into a vampire so she can live happily ever after with her boyfriend. Great role model there.
"To get to Hogwarts...chosen one."
Refer to my argument against what you listed as reason two. How many fantasy elements a book has doesn't determine how good a book is.
"Twilight (the 1st book)...predictable and shallow."
I have a lot against this statement. All the Harry Potter books are connected. Remember in the Chamber of Secrets when Harry stabbed the diary with the basilisk fang? It might have seemed random at the time, but if you read the Deathly Hallows and Half-Blood Prince, you would realize that it actually was one of the Horcruxes which we learn about in the last two books. So the "new magical thing" all have to do with Voldemort's attempts to rise to power which are all expanded on in the final book, so every little detail makes sense. And predictable? Absolutely not. Did you realize that Snape actually was in love with Harry's mother the whole time? Did you realize that Dumbledore was actually once a power-hungry man? I could go on and on. Whereas in Twilight, it was obvious. The last book was completely predictable once they got to Isle Esme. Bella would get pregnant obviously. Bella would become a vampire obviously. The Volturi would attack them obviously. The Volturi would not succeed obviously. And obviously, Edward and Bella would live their perfect sparkly vampire lives together forever.
Wwolfy13

Con

Wwolfy13 forfeited this round.
thepotterhead

Pro

thepotterhead forfeited this round.
Wwolfy13

Con

Wwolfy13 forfeited this round.
thepotterhead

Pro

OK? I don't really know what to reply to, I'd appreciate it if you'd make an attempt to respond to any of my previous points.
Wwolfy13

Con

Wwolfy13 forfeited this round.
thepotterhead

Pro

thepotterhead forfeited this round.
Wwolfy13

Con

Wwolfy13 forfeited this round.
Posted by THEBOMB 2 years ago
THEBOMB
Maybe I'll take this and argue both suck, thus defeating the resolution :D
Posted by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
Whats the contradiction O.o
Posted by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
This honestly isn't a debate, any person who tries to say Twilight is better will ultimately lose in the end for 2 reasons, 1) How would you justify a richer plot of vampires and werewolves when there are so many just like it? and 2) Everyone has a special bias, and half of the people that vote may not even bother to read the entire debate (Which is sad i know :/)
Posted by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
Lol, I have a contradiction to your definition of Better. But I must not accept this debate.