19146md
unitedandy

Harry Potter movies are better than Twilight movies.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

19146md

Pro

Harry Potter is about the struggle over good and evil. It is about overcoming adversity to achieve a goal. The movies, I admit, were pretty bad up until the fifth one. Twilight movies are poorly developed.
unitedandy

Con

Introduction

First off, I would like to thank Pro for the debate. I should probably start with an admission that I do actually much prefer the Twilight movies, and that I think I can demonstrate that they are superior to the Harry Potter films in a number of different ways. I would also like to suggest that both Pro and I share an equal burden of proof, and neither can appeal to merely criticising the other’s case to win the debate.

Definitions

Before I begin my arguments, I think it best to define the debate terms:

Harry Potter movies (HP)- This refers to the Harry Potter film series, beginning 2001 and ending in 2011, distributed by Warner Brothers and based on the works of J.K. Rowling (1).

Twilight Movies - This refers to the twilight saga film series which have currently been released, based on the novels of Stephanie Meyer, from Summit Entertainment, and released from 2008 - 2010 (2).

Better - This is where the debate really is open to interpretation. I’d propose that this simply be synonymous with “superior in some way”. Also, given that subjective preferences mean little, I would submit that we justify this view as far as possible.

With this in mind, let me begin with my arguments to establish my case.

A1 - Adaptations

By adaptation, I simply mean the process of translating the work of the authors into the respective films. Notice for this point, I can (and actually do) happily concede that the books of Harry Potter are superior in numerous respects than Twilight. It is this however that solidifies my case. Even with better material to work with, the films of Twilight were still markedly superior than those of HP. Even Pro admits that:

“ The (HP) movies, I admit, were pretty bad, up until the fifth one.”

In order to justify my point therefore, I will argue that in many cases, HP films became unfaithful to the books, and that, as a result, produced not just a noticeably worse story, but at times, a narrative which was difficult to follow, and almost incoherent in some places. By contrast, Twilight retained the initial story far better, and when it change slightly, the story became far more engaging as a result. I will also try to focus as far as possible on the fifth HP film onwards to show that even what Pro considers to be the best films have serious problems, in terms of adapting the book to the story. Obviously both have a wide number of small and unimportant details, either embellished into the story, tweaked slightly or missed out completely. These small differences are at once both inevitable and insignificant. Rather, it is the changes which have significant effects on the story which I will focus on here.

Changes in Harry Potter

Perhaps the most noticeable change in the HP series comes in the Half-blood Prince. Here, the whole narrative of the book is lost because of the failure to include memories gained by Dumbledore, which leads to the story being both disjointed and wholly divorced from the book in parts, which unsurprisingly leads to a much worse film. The memories which did not appear in the film include that of Bob Ogden, Hokey the house-elf and Morfin Gaunt. As such, things in the story ranging from the Voldemort’s reason for choosing Horcruxes and possibilities of what items he actually chose, much of Voldemort’s past and his ancestry, and the journey of Dumbledore, including the whole reason behind Snape having to kill him (his handling of the Gaunt ring) are simply lost, or not as detailed as in the book, and consequently, we lose much of the meaning for events not only in this book, but stretching into the seventh parts as well. The culmination of the events in the seventh films were grounded in this book, and the translation from the film loses much of this, and basically requires one to have read the book in advance, because the treatment of Horcruxes in the film is so poor, yet vitally important to the story. It’s also largely replaced by a love story which was intentionally subtle in the book, which makes the eventual declaration between Ron and Hermione entirely anti-climactic in the final film, at least, much less than the book.

Another example in the same HP film which changes the narrative significantly for the massive cutting of the final fight scene (as well as Dumbledore’s funeral). In the book, this is perhaps the most exciting part, and was dropped, according to producer David Heyman to “avoid repetition”, and was replaced with a battle scene at the Burrow, which didn’t occur in the book (3). The film therefore lost its main fighting scene, the fallout of this scene at the stage-setter for Harry’s journey in the seventh part. Yet again, the film fell dreadfully short of the book, and significantly changed its content to its detriment. I should also say that there are numerous other examples, but I'll simply wait tosee how Pro responds to these.

Changes in Twilight

In contrast, much of the Twilight films were preserved, with mostly immaterial changes added in to improve the flow of the story. One huge change however happens near the end of the first film. Near the end of the book, Bella is bitten by the villain James, and passes intermittently out of consciousness, meaning that we get everything up to the battle, and the fallout from it, but scant details of the fight which obviously ensued. In the film, this is supplemented with a fight scene (unable to be produced in a novel written in the first-person narrative) above, which adds greatly to the film (4). This limitation in the book is also exploited later on as well. In Eclipse, for example, we get to see the attack on Reilly Biers, which isn’t really present in the book for the same reason. It turns out that not only do we get a more complete narrative in the films, but we get the author’s account of events like the battle in the first film, which for artistic reasons had to be left out in the book. In other words, the additions not only gel far better with the story, they improve it.

In this major respect, Twilight is significantly better when adapted to film than HP, at least with reference to these examples.

A2 - Music

One of the most important features of any film, or indeed series of films is the accompanying soundtrack. Here, I think it clear that Twilight is far superior to HP. Twilight enlists artists like Muse, Radiohead, Linkin Park, Paramore, The Killers, and composers like Carter Burwell and Howard Shore. As a result, 2 of the alums ended up top of the US billboard Chart 200, and the other was second. As a result, Twilight is the best -selling theatrical soundtrack since Chicago (5). HP by contrast has, wait for it . . . the snow globe tune above, and not much else (6). Given the sheer variety and quality of Twilight’s 3 soundtracks over HP, I think we can safely say, in this respect at least, Twilight is vastly superior to HP.

A3 -Consistency

With Pro’s admission that the first four films of the HP film series “were pretty bad“, at best, HP produced as many good films as it has bad. I have given numerous examples of why we should consider the remaining films deficient in certain respects. On the contrary, I maintain that each film from the Twilight series was consistently good, and until Pro can show a comparatively compelling reason to doubt the quality of each of the Twilight films, I think it safe to say that Twilight is superior in the aspect of consistent performance.

For these reasons, Twilight films are superior to that of HP, despite the fact that I happily concede the books of HP are probably better than Twilight. I invite Pro to make his opening case.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...(film_series)
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...(film_series)
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...(film)
4. ;(Video 1)
5. http://en.wikipedia.org...(soundtrack)
6. ;(Video 2)

19146md

Pro

19146md forfeited this round.
unitedandy

Con

Unfortunately, Pro has forfeited the round, and there's not really anything to add.
19146md

Pro

Yo momma!
unitedandy

Con

Obviously a hufflepuff.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
19146mdunitedandyTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 4 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
19146mdunitedandyTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Illegalcombatant 6 years ago
Illegalcombatant
19146mdunitedandyTied
Reasons for voting decision: points awarded based on forfeit :)
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 6 years ago
jm_notguilty
19146mdunitedandyTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
19146mdunitedandyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Multiple forfeits demand a vote in favor of Con.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 6 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
19146mdunitedandyTied
Vote Placed by thett3 6 years ago
thett3
19146mdunitedandyTied
Reasons for voting decision: f