Armageddon23
libertyforall

Harsher punishments for youth who commit crimes.

Armageddon23

Pro

I think it is pertinent that we start to set examples for youth and instead of just giving them the proverbial "slap-on-the-wrist" we start treating them as they deserve to be treated.

Firstly, their names most definitely should be printed in the news and spread throughout the media, I think society has the right to that knowledge. It's frightening to live amongst unknown criminals, who we could just as easily be made aware of. It would be wise, and fair to learn the identity of those young criminals who pervade our streets and corrupt others.

Punishment of youth criminals should be swift, certain and severe, of course the severity is depending on the crime. But punishment most definitely should be the top priorty for those deciding upon the fate of said youth. By simply letting the youth walk away with little more than house arrest for a month it is implying that basically they can get away with whatever they want.

By not punishing the juvenile criminals severely enough, we are allowing for the breeding and upcoming serial murderers and rapists.
libertyforall

Con

Let me first ask these questions.

What is the legal age to vote? 18.
What is the legal age to enlist in the military? 18.
What is the legal age to buy alcohol? 21!

The legal age for most these hallmarks signaling entry into adulthood is 18 years. Yet, when a youth not yet an adult commits a capital crime, in some court systems the youth is tried and sentenced as an adult. If society does not recognize one as an adult till age 18 for voting and serving in the military and till 21 for buying alcohol, why do youths not yet of legal adult age suddenly become as responsible as an adult when they commit a crime?

A person is denied adult privileges till age 18 on the grounds that that is the earliest date of physical, mental, emotional, and social maturity; the earliest time that dependable sound judgements can be made.

Does it make sense to treat a person under age 18 as an adult in some situations, and not in others?

Spiritually, standing aside and looking at an entire life span, we see the earliest time as a period of physical, mental, emotional, and social growth. In adulthood, deemed by society to be 18 years at the earliest, the person has grown enough to live independently using all aspects of physical, mental, emotional, and social maturity.

During adulthood, family and career grow from the deep roots developed before age 18. And, as time goes on and opportunities for showing love increase through caring for family and/or community, the human evolves spiritually into his greatest potential.

Spiritually, we each have the responsibility in adulthood to care for and protect the youth of our individual families, and as a society, all youth.

Let us not judge youth in their immaturity with the same weight and criteria in the area of criminality that we use to treat adults.

Society has already determined that under age 18, one's physical, mental, emotional, and social growth is still in the formative stage; not yet fully mature.
Armageddon23

Pro

I wouldn't exactly say that society determined that "under age 18, one's physical, mental, emotional, and social growth is still in the formative stage; not yet fully mature." More like the government decided upon this.

I for one do not think that it is true at all. Since the age at which one begins to talk one is taught the difference between right and wrong. I would say even a child of five knows that hurting someone else is bad.

A teenager most definitely understands the concepts of wrong and right. It's nto as if suddenly when they turn 18 they have an epiphany and they immediately they grasp the concept. It's one that was cultivated over the years, but it's always there. Everyone, unless in some way mentally incapacitated, knows the difference between right and wrong.

First it starts out with a chocolate bar at age 12, then when nothing happens, it moves to movies or video games, and once again when nothing is done about it it turns into a car, and then torturing animals, such as cats and dogs, and as this is one of the "MacDonald triad" it can be a warning sign of a future serial killer.

By allowing youth to get away with, murder so to speak, we are allowing for them live by a whole different set of rules than which we should be teaching them. Youth know consequences of crimes, but they are shown more leniant punishments and that is why there is a continued criminality amongst youth. Whether they are 12 or 17 these juveniles know murder, cruelty, theft, etc. are "bad".

If they want to act like adults, they deserve to be treated like them.
libertyforall

Con

Part of the reasons youth commit crimes is because of the angst they experience. If I was treated like an adult my entire life, I would of been one my entire life. However, the way society is, we coddle our children and treat them like babies, then all of a sudden it's time to start taking responsibility and start growing up. Then when we are 18, we are supposed to be adults and have responsibility down and all that. Because of the way our society is, already a lot of kids have to take responsibility for things they shouldn't be. Maybe your right that if they want to act like adults, they deserve to be treated like them. BUt society is a b**ch.
Armageddon23

Pro

That doesn't really give much to respond to..and doesn't really seem to make an argument??

But anyway, you can't blame society for someone else's mistakes. You can't blame anyone for something someone else did. Except for parents, you can blame parents. It is their sole responsibility to make sure their children turn out "right". But when youth decide to commit crimes they must accept the consequences for their actions. They cannot just pretend "oh I didn't know that this would happen" ... "Oh I wasn't aware that this was wrong."

Most of them are not insane, they know exactly what they did was wrong, and they're just going to keep on doing it unless someone puts a stop to it once and for all by giving out harsher punishements.

First these youth would realize that they WILL get caught, and once they are their punishment WILL be severe, it is certain, and it will happen almost immediately. If we just diddle dally around the issue and leave them hanging for months and/or years at a time, why do they care? They still get all that time in between to live.

Therefore we must make certain that youth are punished more harshly than they are now, if not only for the safety of the future, but also so that they can learn that in life their are consequences and those consequences will happen.
libertyforall

Con

I started to change my mind while writing my second argument. You might be right (assuming you were talking about teens).
Posted by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
Great job PRO! You changed you cons opinion... Keep up the good work.
Posted by Defenestrator 9 years ago
Defenestrator
I made that comment before I saw the votes, sometimes people vote based on the idea not the arguments. I felt that your argument was better so you won in my book. My only debate I'm losing for what I believe was the same reason, but anyway you're apparently in the lead now.
Posted by Armageddon23 9 years ago
Armageddon23
So if I'm right..how come I'm not winning??
Posted by Defenestrator 9 years ago
Defenestrator
good job Pro. solid debate and good win.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
Con provides no link between "Priveleges of Adults" and "Punishments of Adults" except that they 'should' be together. I don't think so. The rationality and responsibility to drive a car or drink alcohol or vote is quite different from the type of rationality you need to commit a crime. I vote PRO.

Voting PRO unless theres some sort of conceding of the debate.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
I AFFIRM. I F*CKING AFFIRM!!!!!

I'm going to write a case on this. But more specific than just "harsher punishments".
Vote Placed by IrishMafia 6 years ago
IrishMafia
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by VenomousNinja 9 years ago
VenomousNinja
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by soulja40 9 years ago
soulja40
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by heeheex2 9 years ago
heeheex2
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by Armageddon23 9 years ago
Armageddon23
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by Defenestrator 9 years ago
Defenestrator
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
Armageddon23libertyforallTied
Vote Placed by poopfred 9 years ago
poopfred
Armageddon23libertyforallTied