Loveshismom
Crescendo

Has Digimon gone Anti-Christianity (Pro) or is it just an innocent kiddie show (Con)?

Loveshismom

Loveshismom

Pro

As Pro, I will argue that Digimon has gone Anti-Christian.

R1: acceptance only
R2: Arguments
R3-5: Rebuttals.
Crescendo

Con

After seeing this debate on Digimon, I knew I couldn't resist.
I will be arguing that Digimon is not Anti-Christian.

So that there's no confusion, let us define Anti-Christian:

"Opposed to Christianity or Christian values."

I have only seen Digimon Adventure 01 and 02, and therefore I only know of the Digimon Characters "Tai, Matt, Izzy, Sora, Joe, Mimi, TK, Kari, Davis, Cody, Yolei, and Ken," along with their respective Digimon. However, I'll do my best, even if my opponent uses newer series which I am not acquainted with. Fortunately, I also know a little bit about Digimon Tamers.

P.S. Digimon Adventure 01 was the awesomest kids show that ever came from the 90s, even if only about half of the show was aired in 1999, with the rest of it having been aired in 2000.
Loveshismom

Pro

For a number of reasons, I believe Digimon to be anti-Christianity.

A1. It portrays Satan as "good."

There are good Digimon whose names make it clear that they are references to Satan. Examples:

1. Lucemon

He is a reference to the angel Lucifer, who, according to the Bible, was an angel who rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven, then became Satan.

2. Beelzemon

In one episode, he helps the main protagonists fight evil. But, his name comes from "Beelzebub," which, in the Bible, is another name for Satan. Therefore, Beelzemon is a portrayal of Satan as good.

A2: A primary antagonist (the digimon emperor) is a representation of what many Atheists think of the Christian God: A merciless, vengeful, narcissistic psychopath who keeps innocent living beings as slaves even though they never did him any harm.

Also, in one episode, he makes a digimon named Kimeramon that represents Satan because he eventually rebels against his "creator."
Crescendo

Con

Let's see how Digimon does on Christian standards and values+:

The characters don't commit idolatry, except for perhaps that one early episode with the Bakemon where they prayed the ghosts away in Shinto fashion. But the show was made in Japan, not America; it was made in a country where Christianity is not dominant. Let's give them a break on this one, as no real idolatry is done. Also, Primary Village does not equal reincarnation, as it is the result of Digital Data being reused, not anything spiritual.
They never really tell you what day it is, so it's not known whether they ever break the Sabbath. Even if they did, if it's to prevent VenomMyotismon from destroying the city, it's justified. Jesus himself said that Sabbath was made for man, and not the other way around.
The DigiDestined, especially Cody, respect their parents...most of the time. That is, they don't usually disobey them. Then again, when they do, it's usually to stop a monster attack.
The show has never (according to my knowledge, anyway) portrayed adultery, lust (which is beyond the mere attraction that Davis felt for Kari), homosexuality, or premarital sex. Nor would any other kids show that I know of.
They do not usually steal, and in the rare cases where they do it's needed for some purpose. They are never shown stealing something just for the heck of it.
There has been lying sometimes, as in the case of that episode where Cody lied to get Joe out of a test so that he could help them save the other Digidestined from under the sea. Definitely justified, for if he hadn't lied then people would've died.
Ironically, murder is the Commandment that the show breaks most of all. Most actual murder is done by villains, such as the time Piedmon killed the little rat digimon, the time Metalseadramon killed Whamon, the time Myotismon killed Wizardmon, the time Malomyotismon killed Mummymon and Arukenimon, etc. Note that many of these later came back to life in Primary Village. The protagonists have also deleted a large number of Digimon, but most (if not all) of these were evil Digimon or Control Spire Digimon (most of them not sentient) who would've caused harm to countless others if not deleted. Key word: deleted. As for humans, no human character was murdered according to my knownedge, though once a LadyDevimon tried to kill a teenage boy. Her attempt was foiled when the Digidestined deleted her just in time...which further proves my point.

So basically when they do something morally questionable, it's either because they have to in order to save lives (even if it's just their own) or because they're immature adolescents who don't have fully developed brains, such as the time that Matt was almost brainwashed by the Mexican Talking Tree (Cherrymon) into fighting Tai.

So, since the show has not portrayed blatantly anti-Christian values, I argue that it's just a harmless kid show that brings joy to children and 30 year old overweight gamestop employee dudes everywhere.
Loveshismom

Pro

Crescendo, your argument is focusing on a very early season of Digimon. Let me clarify that "Digimon" is referring to the entire franchise. This debate is about "Has Digimon gone Anti-Christianity (Pro) or is it just an innocent kiddie show (Con)?" Not "The first two seasons of Digimon are anti-Christian" or "Digimon has always been anti-Christian."

Rebuttal 1: "... There is no real idolatry here."

Yes there is. When the second commandment says: "Thou shalt not commit idolatry," it also means "don't put anything in front of God." By the main protagonists relationship with their Digimon, we can tell that even if they believed in God, they would put their Digimon in front of Him.

Rebuttal 2: "Also, Primary Village does not equal reincarnation, as it is the result of Digital Data being reused, not anything spiritual."

Perhaps not, but it is like a Digimon counterpart to reincarnation.

Rebuttal 3: "...it's not known whether they ever break the Sabbath."

Perhaps not, but then again, this could be teaching kids that there is no Sabbath.

Rebuttal 4: "The DigiDestined...respect their parents...most of the time. That is, they don't usually disobey them. Then again, when they do, it's usually to stop a monster attack."

Monster attacks are impossible in real life. There are also no Digimon in real life. It is scientifically and religiously improbable. Even kid there were a possible monster attack, a better thing to do would be to let the army handle it.

Rebuttal 5: "The show has never (according to my knowledge, anyway) portrayed adultery, lust (which is beyond the mere attraction that Davis felt for Kari), homosexuality, or premarital sex. Nor would any other kids show that I know of."

This does not mean that it is not anti-Christian.

Rebuttal 6: "They do not usually steal, and in the rare cases where they do it's needed for some purpose. They are never shown stealing something just for the heck of it"

The reasons why they have to steal anything, as I pointed out in rebuttal 4, are both religiously and scientifically improbable.

Rebuttal 7: "There has been lying sometimes, as in the case of that episode where Cody lied to get Joe out of a test so that he could help them save the other Digidestined from under the sea. Definitely justified, for if he hadn't lied then people would've died."

Again, that break of a commandment is driven by a scientific impossibility.

Rebuttal 8: "Ironically, murder is the Commandment that the show breaks most of all."

These violations of the sixth commandment are also driven by scientific and religious impossibilities.
Crescendo

Con

"Crescendo, your argument is focusing on a very early season of Digimon. Let me clarify that "Digimon" is referring to the entire franchise. This debate is about "Has Digimon gone Anti-Christianity (Pro) or is it just an innocent kiddie show (Con)?" Not "The first two seasons of Digimon are anti-Christian" or 'Digimon has always been anti-Christian.'"

Sorry. That's the only two seasons I know, though I can still look up references to other series on the internet if need be. You yourself have not really made that many newer series references anyway. I suppose it's the same as having a Pokemon debate with someone who never played a Pokemon game newer than Pokemon Red, but I can still debate this topic just fine.

"Yes there is. When the second commandment says: "Thou shalt not commit idolatry," it also means "don't put anything in front of God." By the main protagonists relationship with their Digimon, we can tell that even if they believed in God, they would put their Digimon in front of Him."

Oh come on, dude; with this logic almost every show is guilty of idolatry.

"Perhaps not, but it is like a Digimon counterpart to reincarnation."

Maybe, but there was nothing mystical about this form of reincarnation. It was simply a convenient plot point to use when some good digimon characters, such as Patamon and Wormmon, died.

"Perhaps not, but then again, this could be teaching kids that there is no Sabbath."

Once again, this logic could be used to say that almost every show is anti-Christian.

"Monster attacks are impossible in real life. There are also no Digimon in real life. It is scientifically and religiously improbable. Even kid there were a possible monster attack, a better thing to do would be to let the army handle it."

First of all, it's a work of fiction; monster are permitted in it. Second, in almost every movie and TV show the military fails to bring down Godzilla or King Kong or whatever monster is being fought. This same concept is in Digimon, or at least the older series,

"This does not mean that it is not anti-Christian."

I suppose not; it's just one piece of evidence. However, it helps my case.

"The reasons why they have to steal anything, as I pointed out in rebuttal 4, are both religiously and scientifically improbable."

In this work of fiction these situations arise.

"Again, that break of a commandment is driven by a scientific impossibility."

In this work of fiction these situations arise. But even in real life, there are times when it's necessary to lie. For instance, if a killer enters your home and demands to know where your children are, it's best to say they're away at camp at something when in fact they're with their mom at the store. Summer camp. Ha ha ha...

"These violations of the sixth commandment are also driven by scientific and religious impossibilities."

Once again, it is a work of fiction. These situations arise in this work of fiction.

Now, it's time for me to go on the offensive.

"There are good Digimon whose names make it clear that they are references to Satan."

They are not actually portraying a demon. In this work of Japanese fiction, as in many many others, darkness is considered a type or a classification. To have an evil type you need demon-sounding names. However, portraying these evil digimon as eventually becoming good can serve to show the power of redemption, a very Christian concept.
As for "Lucemon," this is most likely a reference to the fact that "Lux" means light in Latin, not Satan. I could be wrong, though.

"A primary antagonist (the digimon emperor) is a representation of what many Atheists think of the Christian God: A merciless, vengeful, narcissistic psychopath who keeps innocent living beings as slaves even though they never did him any harm."

There is no evidence that the makers of the show created such a comparison between the Digimon Emperor and the atheist idea of God.

"Also, in one episode, he makes a digimon named Kimeramon that represents Satan because he eventually rebels against his 'creator.'"

Yes, and this Digimon was portrayed as undeniably evil and it was later destroyed.
Loveshismom

Pro

Rebuttal 1: "Oh, come on dude; by this logic almost every show is guilty of idolatry."

Then almost every show is guilty of idolatry.

Rebuttal 2: "..there was nothing mystical about this..."

No, but it has an obvious pagan reference, so it was obviously influenced by a pagan religion.

Rebuttal 3: "...then again, this logic could be used to say that almost every show is anti-Christian."

Perhaps so, but not by itself.

Rebuttal 4: "...it helps my case."

It is actually very weak by itself.

Rebuttal 5:

because the reasons why the characters break the Ten Commandments are both religiously and scientifically improbable to have, it can never be justified in real life. There is always another way in reality. As for your example, you could first prepare for the attack by optionally having defenses set up, and then if the killer slips past them, just tell them that you will never tell them. Having a baseball bat ready in your hand also helps.

Rebuttal 6: "They are not actually portraying a demon."

You do not know this because (1) you are not Japanese and (2) you were not involved in the making of Digimon.

"Portraying...eventually becoming good can serve to show the power of redemption,"

Do other religions not also believe that an immoral person can change?

"...'Lux' means 'light' in Latin,"

"Lucifer" also means "light bearer." Therefore, it is still logical to believe that Lucemon represents Satan.

Rebuttal 7: "...no evidence that the makers... Created such a comparison between the Digimon Emperor and... God."

Yes there is. In the last rebuttal of your argument, you even admitted yourself that Kimeramon is a representation of Satan. This means that they were working their belief that Satan should have taken the throne of heaven as Lucifer.

Rebuttal 8: "This Digimon was portrayed as undeniably evil and it was later destroyed."

This could be an attempt to disguise the show's anti-Christianity.

Rebuttal 9: your rebuttals regarding the times when the characters break the Ten Commandments primarily prove that it is morally justifiable when they do. That is not what we are debating about, and it does not prove that Digimon is not Anti-Christian.

One more thing, Crescendo: you dropped my case about Beelzemon.
Crescendo

Con

I forfeit victory to my opponent. Vote for Pro.
Loveshismom

Pro

You can't be serious.
Crescendo

Con

Yes I am.
Posted by Loveshismom 3 years ago
Loveshismom
Awww con forfeited

|
C
|
Posted by Crescendo 3 years ago
Crescendo
Perhaps I should write a DDO series on Digimon.
Posted by Loveshismom 3 years ago
Loveshismom
Lol
Posted by Crescendo 3 years ago
Crescendo
Chaaaaange, into digital debaters, tooooo, save the DDO world...
Vote Placed by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
LoveshismomCrescendoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Unfortunate to see such an interesting debate conclude so abruptly, but forfeiture is forfeiture.