Debatinator22
MouthWash

Has Eminem Gone Downhill?

MouthWash

Debatinator22

Con

Eminem hasn't gone downhill, he's just changed. Unfaithful Em-fan's constantly say "I miss the old him. DYE YOUR HAIR BACK" etc. etc. But they seemingly fail to realize that the Eminem of today, IS 39. People grow up, but I do agree that his music a lot softer than it used to be. Too many love songs..
MouthWash

Pro

Before all else I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. I find it interesting that this same subject was my very first debate on this website, and he should be informed that I know quite a bit about hip-hop.

By "gone downhill" I shall assume that Con means to "declined in quality" and refers to Eminem's music and related works in general; that seems to be the only relevant thing we could reasonably discuss. In which case he has already conceded since he claimed that Eminem's music is a lot "softer" nowadays, which he seems to interpret as a negative trait. Nevertheless, I will present an argument in case I have critically misunderstood his intentions regarding this debate.

Take the song 'Renegade' (originally made in 1999) in which Eminem rhymes 3 syllables almost 20 times over. I offer to my opponent the lyrics to the song (the underlined words are ones that rhyme):

"See they call me a menace, and if the shoe fits I'll wear it
But if it don't, then ya'll swallow the truth, grin and bear it,
Now who's the king of these rude, ludicrous, lucrative, lyrics?
Who could inherit the title, put the youth in hysterics?
Using his music to steer it, sharing his views and his merits,
But there's a huge interference, they're saying you shouldn't hear it,
Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit,
Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish,
But I'm debated, disputed, hated, and viewed in America
as a mother****** drug addict, like you didn't experiment?
That's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrassed
And I got nothing to do but make you look stupid as parents
You ****** do-gooders - it's too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!
And do you have any clue what I had to do to get here? I don't
think you do so stay tuned and keep your ears glued to the stereo."
[http://www.azlyrics.com...]

None of his Recovery/post-Recovery songs compare to that. If any do, I ask my opponent to post them.

I further point out Eminem has developed a frequent and unfortunate use of 'filler' rhymes that are awkward, make little or no sense and are only used to disguise Eminem's lack of interest in writing. "Without a doubt undoubtedly" and "Half a breath left, on my death bed screaming eff that" are prime examples of this. Generally teenage rappers that no one will ever know or hip-pop artists like Lil Wayne use such words; it's a sad testament to Eminem's decline that he even needs fillers.

To contrast this with his earlier years, here are the lyrics to his famous song 'Lose Yourself:'

"His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy,
There's vomit on his sweater already; mom's spaghetti,
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready."
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting
what he wrote down..."
[http://www.metrolyrics.com...]

Notice how, instead of simply telling us that the rapper (from 8 mile) is nervous before performing, he infers it through describing his immediate situation and feelings. When you can show your listeners or audience about a character's feelings or some other situation, that's quality. When you have to straight-up tell them, that's pretty much the mark of failure. These are basic components of storytelling that I'm describing. Notice how he describes these individual feelings/events through regular and direct wording; he did not need any awkardly placed or nonsensical rhymes to complete them.

Poor lyricism is just one of the reasons Eminem has gone 'downhill,' but I think I will save further argument for later rounds when necessary. I await my opponent's response.
Debatinator22

Con

Debatinator22 forfeited this round.
MouthWash

Pro

Sadly, my opponent has decided to forfeit. Extend all arguments.
Debatinator22

Con

Debatinator22 forfeited this round.
MouthWash

Pro

I guess I should be glad I didn't commit to this debate and ramble on about how Eminem had fallen off. I'm a little disappointed, though.
Vote Placed by YYW 5 years ago
YYW
Debatinator22MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. And Eminem sucks. This has always been the case.