TheBloodyScot
BobbyYaz

Has Obama failed as President?

TheBloodyScot

TheBloodyScot

Pro

Obama has failed at being the President. He caused our debt to go up twice as fast as Bush. It took him 4 years to do what took Bush 8. He hasn't got us out of Iran. And the job rate hasn't gone up.
BobbyYaz

Con

I do not believe Barack Obama has failed at being President. I can not argue with the fact that the number of jobs have not rose, and the debt has not improved but things get worse before they get better.

Obama inherited many problems from Bush and he could not improve them instantly. Expecting dramatic change in just 4 years is not realistic because of the government we live in today. Many of the choices Obama is faced with are not completely up to him. I do not see Mitt Romney doing any better than Obama has, i see the economy only getting worse under Romney's Presidency.

I do not think it is wise to change the horse while in high waters, we need to wait until the river is completely crossed to make bold statements about Obama failing our nation.
TheBloodyScot

Pro

How is spending money that we don't have going to help? It is a trend that must stop. Where is that money going when teachers in our school are getting laid off? Why are wars in the Middle East still increasing? Why is Obama a Hypocrite? Why does he and his wife treat Americans like we are stupid and they know better than us? It is insulting to my ability and knowledge.
BobbyYaz

Con

He originated in debt, no matter what, Obama had to spend money that he didn't have.

Teachers being laid off is more of a local government problem than a federal government problem.

Obama ended the war in Iraq.

I do not believe Obama is a hypocrite, he states his belief and he sticks to it, unlike Romney who is known as a flip flopper who cant keep his opinions straight.

And lastly, of course Barack and Michelle know way more than we do. They are both highly educated and together they are the president and first lady.

Compared to past presidents, Obama has not failed.
Compared to the state we are currently at, i do not think we are failing as a country.
TheBloodyScot

Pro

Under Obama's laws, Obama would not be president. He said, "Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it." Yet his laws would have him in jail and he wouldn't be President today. Obviously his drug use had not harmed him, so what makes him think that it is harming other people? As for their intelligence, what gives them any right to control our lives? JFK stated the basic economic rights:

#1: The Right to Safety: Products should not endanger our lives without letting us know.

#2: The Right to Be Informed: People should be informed about the problems of using something and what is in it

#3: The Right to Choose: Since I have been Informed that that soda is bad for me, now I have the choice to buy it. New York too away that choice. Why can't I make the choice my self since now I am an informed about the risks? If I am aware of the risks I am able to make a decision.

#4: The Right to be Heard: I can complain about the problems with a product with the hope that it is fixed.

If you are not free to drink the soda, how will we remain free. Next they'll put calorie limits on foods. Chipping away at our freedom to make our own decisions piece by piece.

Compared to past presidents, Obama has not succeeded.
It this current rate, we will fail as a country.
BobbyYaz

Con

Obama can not make marijuana legal in a finger snap because people would be against it. We live In a democracy, that's a government by the people. We make the choices. When a democratic nation is failing, its the people that are failing.

Obama has given people hope in dark times
Obama ended a war that will save us billions over the next few years
Like I mentioned before, things may get worse before its all over
Barack Obama has had a lot on his plate and he's doing the best he can as fast as he can
TheBloodyScot

Pro

But Obama has done the exact opposite. He has been increasing his "War on Weed."
http://www.thedailybeast.com...

And the war is not over since "technically" it wasn't a war to begin with, yet there is the same number of troops in the middle east as their was in 2002!
http://www.economist.com...

If this is the best Obama can do, I don't want him a president. He hasn't succeeded! He has not achieved his goals!

I would also like to point out that the unemployment rate is the same as when he went into office.
BobbyYaz

Con

A small percentage of people agree that medical marijuana should be legal, but that's only a small percent. When the local DEA attacks a cannabis store, that's local, not federal. It was not ordered by Obama.

You can not stop cold turkey, you must slowly remove troops from a nation to avoid crumble, Obama is only fixing a problem that Bush started.

Failure is a strong word, failure to me is letting your nation fall to the ground.
Obama is making steady changes to affect America. It can not happen instantly.
TheBloodyScot

Pro

Again not true. If the state deems it legal, the federal government will still come in and arrest you for the production of Marijuana.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com...

It is not local government that is arresting people, it is the federal government. If Obama wants to "ease in" marijuana use, why is there so much pressure on the states who have passed laws legalizing it.

Obama has failed because he has not succeeded.
BobbyYaz

Con

One of your biggest arguments to why Obama has failed at being President is because he hasn't made marijuana legal. There are many more important things to worry about and I feel he's steadily been acting on improving the overall nation

I am not saying Obama has succeeded
But i am saying it is too harsh to say he has failed

Failure leaves a nation overturned and the United States of America seem to still be looking up
Posted by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
It is a very interesting debate. I would vote for Con for the following reasons

As for pro, he lead the debate astray. Eventually the debate began to focus on marginal issue such as legalization of marijuana, which hardly being noticed by public until now. Pro"s argument at its apogee when he attacked Obama"s record on personal liberty. I am a little bit of surprised that Pro did not invoke Affordable Care, in which the mandate issue would certainly earn him many good points. But on the downside, pro did mistakenly cite NY Soda issue. It was proposed by the states (Mayor Bloomberg), not by President Obama, and it was a government regulation not restriction. In addition, it should be acknowledged that all humans make mistake, and in a way it makes them "more human." General Petraeus is the latest example, and President Bill Clinton would be another.

As for Con, he successfully stood his ground while Pro attacked his positions. His main points were presented in the second round. He may also need more evidence to fight off the challenge that President Obama is incompetent. I would agree that it is unrealistic to expect a newly elected President to fix eight year damages in just four years. More examples of political strifes would also strengthen his positions (Debt ceiling for example). Con did state one thing which may cost him some points: things get worse before they get better. Overall I would vote for Con for his better arguments.

Posted by socialpinko 4 years ago
socialpinko
We're *in* Iran?
Vote Placed by TheElderScroll 4 years ago
TheElderScroll
TheBloodyScotBobbyYazTied
Reasons for voting decision: Please see comments for more information.
Vote Placed by eastcoastsamuel 4 years ago
eastcoastsamuel
TheBloodyScotBobbyYazTied
Reasons for voting decision: It was a close debate, but Con won my vote because Pro was not able to sufficiently prove his own points.
Vote Placed by Heineken 4 years ago
Heineken
TheBloodyScotBobbyYazTied
Reasons for voting decision: Things get worse before they get better...wow.
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
TheBloodyScotBobbyYazTied
Reasons for voting decision: While I wasn't fully convinced by either side, Pro did have sources.