george220
lindseyyyb

Has Popular Music Lowered in Quality Over The Last 50 Years

Started: 11/25/2015 Category: Music

george220

Pro

This is a repost as I was unable to access my account.

I believe that in the last 50 years, popular music has peaked with bands such as: The Beatles and Queen but in present day we are at an all time low.

Artists and bands such as: Katy Perry and One Direction have poisoned the music world with their generic and low quality songs that consist of simple chord structures and melody lines. Many mainstream artists have their music written for them. Even Adele co-writes most of her songs. Artists like Ed Sheeran who write their own songs tend to stay simple using only 4 chords per section which doesn't create any difference between other artists.
Although their is much talent in the music industry, most artists like Adele do not tend to stretch out to use their talents to the full in fear of losing their fame. This lack and laziness leads to simple songs with no great musical context.
I believe that Popular Music has lowered in the last 50 years and I think that it is due to greed for money and fame.
lindseyyyb

Con

I disagree. You talk about laziness and"simple songs" but then mention The Beatles as the peak of music quality. Countless Beatles songs are simple..and lyrically just as bad as todays pop music. I know a lot of people who find The Beales music downright irritating. Lyrics from 8 days a week, one of The Beatles most popular songs in 1965 (50 years ago) .
: Hold me, love me
Hold me, love me
I ain't got nothing but love, babe
Eight days a week
Love you every day, girl
Always on my mind
One thing I can say, girl
Love you all the time
Hold me, love me
Hold me, love me
I ain't got nothing but love, girl
Eight days a week

My point is the lyrics are just as simple as some of the music we have today. Throughout history there has always been bad music. There are bad songs and there are good songs. Not every popular song out today is good that is for sure but not every popular song out in 1965 was good either. Overall i think you're right that there is a lot of music being made for money. Pop producers do tend to use the same formuala for a lot of their songs. I watched a video once that summed it up well,it is a 20 minute video so i will pull out the quotes i found intriguing here. "Since the 1950's pop music has become less complex in it's structure and more homogeneous" then he goes on to say "Pop music is just one genre of music and it's role is to fit anticipation and pay off into a fairly regular amount of time and there are only so many ways to do that. Perhaps pop music producers have gotten better at scratching the specific itch they are challeged to scratch" I'll link the video here in case you are interested : https://www.youtube.com...
So, pop music may sound similar and there is a lot of it out but that doesn't necessarily mean all popular music has gone down in quality . Something you should also consider is that music and whether it is bad or good comes down to personal preference. I personally believe there are a ton of popular artist out today of all popular generes classical,rap,electronic,metal whatever you like creating amazing high-quality work. A lot of people put older music on this pedestal as if everything was perfect back then and everything is trash now. If well look at things realistically this is just not true. There are still popular artist today who are artistic,work hard and put out good music. Lets also keep in mind that just because something is done for money or fame does not mean it is incapable of being of good quality. Just because someone has a ghost writer or co-writer does not mean that the song can't be good. Ghost writing has been done since before the 1960's when you say music peaked. If the lyrics are bad the song won't sound good whether the person that wrote it is singing it or not. So yes there is popular music today that is bad and yes there was popular music in 1965 that was also bad. The statement that music has gone down in quality overall since 1965 is simply not true.
george220

Pro

The Beatles were the one of the top Popular music groups due to their songs being written by themselves and due to their creativity. Songs like Michelle and Good Morning which are so musically complex I would go as far to say that Good Morning is more complicated than any other song made by such a hugely Popular band. The Beatles were in no way lazy as they released 11 albums in the space of 7 years. They have the right to create simple songs as they have many others which can shame any artist in todays industry.
I'm also quite sure that the lyrics today are so poorly written that its debatable wether they stole them from a ten year old,
I disagree with this point you made also,

"So, pop music may sound similar and there is a lot of it out but that doesn't necessarily mean all popular music has gone down in quality . Something you should also consider is that music and whether it is bad or good comes down to personal preference."

Here you say that although pop music may sound similar that it doesn't mean it has gone down in quality. If music sounds the same as other music it shows lack of originality for example: Ed Sheerans song Thinking Out Loud is very similar to Lets Get It On by Marvin Gaye and Sam Smith was recently sued for stealing Tom Pettys melody line in Won't Back Down with Stay With Me.
I did not state that the quality of music has gone down but i fight against people who believed it hasn't as through greed and lack of originality has ruined Popular Music
lindseyyyb

Con

lindseyyyb forfeited this round.
george220

Pro

george220 forfeited this round.
lindseyyyb

Con

lindseyyyb forfeited this round.
george220

Pro

george220 forfeited this round.
lindseyyyb

Con

lindseyyyb forfeited this round.
george220

Pro

george220 forfeited this round.
lindseyyyb

Con

lindseyyyb forfeited this round.
Posted by Themeaman909 1 year ago
Themeaman909
Popular music is really sucky! If I had a choice between the Beatles or some rap song, I would completely choose the Beatles. I have heard there music, and simple isn't bad, but the modern music is sexualized and highly creative. I also enjoy classical music too.