jocvazquez15
2PartyFarce

Has Rap lost its meaning?

Started: 12/9/2014 Category: Music

jocvazquez15

Pro

These main stream rappers like Chief Keef and Lil Bibby have diminished the meaning of real rap. Rap used to be about a struggle. It was someones story. Now It's just about sex, money, and drugs.
2PartyFarce

Con

I have been listening to hip/hop since the days of Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, and Houdini, through the era LL Cool J, Salt n Pepa, Slick Rick, BDP, Public Enemy to 2Pac and Biggie. Even in those days there was whole host of ignorant rappers out there spitting weak rhymes that no one remembers. Dr Dre and Easy E were hated by mainstream society when NWA came out, now Dre's a highly respected business man, slanging over-priced headphones. A tribe called quest, Jurassic 5, Lyrics Born, Blacklicious, Atmosphere, Common, and Outkast have all contributed to modern intelligent rap artists such as Jay Z, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Cannibus and I'm leaving all kinds of rappers off this list for the sake of time.

Intelligent rappers have many more venues and outlets these days that are eager to pick up artists with a message. Recording and distribution without a label is much easier now for any rapper out there. I apologize, I have no idea who chief keef or lil bibby are, I thought mainstream rappers were like Kanye, Jay Z, lil wang, or Flo-rida. If you want to find meaningfull rap artists look locally or at underground hip/hop, because there's plenty to be found.
jocvazquez15

Pro

jocvazquez15 forfeited this round.
2PartyFarce

Con

Rap is what ever you personally take from it. What is lost today? May be found tomorrow.
jocvazquez15

Pro

jocvazquez15 forfeited this round.
2PartyFarce

Con

Bust a rhyme, one time, for your mind.
'Cause hip hops doing fine.

No need to be scared,
'bout what I said, maybe Joc is dead.

Although I hope not, is he at the dope spot?
Is everything okay, speak up Joc, say hey.
jocvazquez15

Pro

jocvazquez15 forfeited this round.
2PartyFarce

Con

2PartyFarce forfeited this round.
jocvazquez15

Pro

jocvazquez15 forfeited this round.
2PartyFarce

Con

2PartyFarce forfeited this round.
Posted by mentalist 2 years ago
mentalist
Rap is something you do...Hip-hop is something you live...KRS-One Hip-Hop and rap are not the same. Rap has become a corporatist tool and gimmicky...it is used to dumb down the masses. True Hip-hop was pushed underground because it was seen as too threatening and liberating.
Posted by fridalizbeth 2 years ago
fridalizbeth
Nope. There's still good rappers out there.