mole_hansman
Nuzlocke4

Has Religion been a force for good in the world since people first began to worship?

mole_hansman

Con

Firstly, I am not trying to convince anyone of the existence/lack of existence of a God. I am an atheist, I feel that may be necessary to put out in the open first and foremost, but I'm encouraging any participants not to allow their personal beliefs cloud their arguments.

I do not believe that religion is a force for good in the world for a variety of reasons. Firstly, I believe that religion obstructs human's natural instinct to discover new things, to reveal the secrets of the universe, and to further mankind through knowledge. When you believe that a divine being has created everything, the instinctive need for answers goes. Religious people believe they have all the answers- so what's the need to find out more? Science's most basic principle is that we , as humans, know very little, so we must endevour to discover more. Why try to find out how the Universe formed if your holy book tells you it was done of the whim of an all-powerful ruler? Why study fossils and discover evolution if it goes against the one thing you hold more dearly in your heart than anything else? Religious people don't like hearing something that contradicts their beliefs (just ask Galileo, Copernicus or Darwin, or anyone coming up with something that goes against Sharia) so many geniuses have been scared into silence. People take religion to be pure fact and not even logic can dissuade them- that's why evolution is still taught as only a theory in schools, why people believed the earth was flat as late as the 1890s, and why a Muslim Imam has recently come out to say that the Earth is not rotating. Anything that goes against these deep-rooted beliefs that these people have scares them and when you love and believe in something so strongly, it is only natural to block out all that goes against it.

So to conclude Round 1, I would say that religion has not been a force for good in the sense that it inhibits the advancement of knowledge, because there is no need for religious people to learn more about the world around them, and also, religion has a history of rejecting and blocking out any evidence that goes against it. I look forward to a response.
Nuzlocke4

Pro

The question is "Has Religion been a force for good in the world?". While it has also been a force for "evil" in the world, it has also given societies (ancient ones in particular) positive aspects.

1. Religion has united ancient peoples under one flag (ie: the beginning of Islam with Muhammad and the many tribes). It has also kept the stupider humans in line and to not kill the smarter people. It kept people under control.

2. It is also some of the foundations or human morality, art and literature (@morality "hard christian work ethic and celibacy, @art the Pieta, the Creation of Adam painting in the Sistine Chapel and many classical pieces such as Requiem Die Irae).

3. Religion also has given people through out history, in particular the Dark Ages of Europe, hope for the future and let them face death with much more ease. Religion has the ability to let people not be afraid to die (Except for the whole Hell aspect, goddamn you!).

Again your question is "Has it been a force for Good?" Definitely so, but this does not be mean that it is exempt from being a force for evil. Because Religion Has been also A FORCE FOR EVIL.
mole_hansman

Con

mole_hansman forfeited this round.
Nuzlocke4

Pro

Rebuttal please.
mole_hansman

Con

mole_hansman forfeited this round.
Nuzlocke4

Pro

A vote for me is a vote for world peace.
Posted by CalRed 1 year ago
CalRed
Got it, thanks. I guess I'd still ask by what standard are those contributions deemed positive? Or on the flip side how exactly does it promote ignorance and discourage inquiry, and if it does, on what basis is that deemed bad. I guess I'd still argue my point that either of you guys can argue what's good or bad on and on forever any which way you like because to do otherwise there needs to be a standard upon which good and bad are defined and how society is effected would actually have to matter in the long run. Thanks for taking the time.
Posted by Nuzlocke4 1 year ago
Nuzlocke4
Jesus Christ, I mean "Did I say "Pro's"? I meant to say "Con's argument".
Posted by Nuzlocke4 1 year ago
Nuzlocke4
Did I "pros" I mean cons.
Posted by Nuzlocke4 1 year ago
Nuzlocke4
My argument holds water because I am stating that religion has given positive contributions to society. Pro's argument is that religion is ultimately bad because it promotes ignorance and discourages inquiry.
Posted by CalRed 1 year ago
CalRed
It's all good. If you ever get up the energy and want to continue the conversation feel free to let me know.
Posted by Nuzlocke4 1 year ago
Nuzlocke4
But I'm to lazy.
Posted by CalRed 1 year ago
CalRed
I apologize for my mocking. However, I really would like to understand your rationale and would like to hear your line of reasoning.
Posted by Nuzlocke4 1 year ago
Nuzlocke4
Think black and white, think like a little kid.
Posted by CalRed 1 year ago
CalRed
As in from a can? What does that mean? That's my point. From your point of view I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no good, generic or otherwise. If "good"is entirely subjective and tethered to nothing but chance it is worthless as "good" it can be argued any dang way you want with equal validity, which is to say no validity At All. Your debate and entire worldview being utterly without an actual point.

Guy 1 says hey religion is no good because they b too dum to think about important stuff like science
Guy 2 but what about really good religus art that b a bit good

Oh wait, we are both atheists. Ergo everything that is just is. It can't be good or bad because no thing makes it so.
Posted by Nuzlocke4 1 year ago
Nuzlocke4
Were talking generic good.