EmilyJ
JacobAnderson

Has society created and 'invented' mental illness?

JacobAnderson

EmilyJ

Pro

Has society created mental illnesses? Has it just decided to label disordered behaviour and blow it completely out of proportion? After all, anything not considered a 'norm' is unusual in society, but surely it is society itself that has created those norms - what if those norms were different? Would mental illnesses be completely different? Having suffered from Anorexia Nervosa for the past 3 years or so, I'm beginning to wonder if mental illness is actually real. We are constantly being told on the news that there are a "record number of people suffering from mental illness". This leads me to think about whether everyone has a mental illness on some level? I feel mental illness, in itself, is becoming normal.
JacobAnderson

Con

I accept the debate, but I can't believe that they limit is 4,000 characters or that the voting period is 6 months.

However, I do not believe that society "invents" mental illnesses as mental illnesses, but this does not mean I do not believe society hasn't added labels to the illnesses. This, however, does not prevent me from winning as the resolution was that society invents mental illnesses, not that society labels mental illnesses. Labels are essential when it comes to health problems because many illnesses have similar effects with just one or two differences, and when tested, there could be the one difference that changes a common cold to bronchitis (as an example, though I'm sure there is more than one difference). Without labeling the sicknesses, there is no way that doctors or pharmacists would be able to hand out medication and treatment as quickly and efficiently as they can now.

Moving on to the actual invention of illnesses. I say that society only labels but does not invent illnesses because there are distinct differences between the minds, moods and actions with a "sick" person and a normal person. Mental Health America (http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net...) shows the warning sides in mental illnesses that are not found in normal functioning brains such as social withdrawal, suicidal thoughts, confused thinking and changes in performance. Though these seem normal with media constantly pointing these out rather than normal, heathy and active people, these are still symptoms of illnesses that are not in majority of the population.

So, to restate my argument, society does not invent illnesses, but they do label them in order to help the ill quickly and efficiently.
EmilyJ

Pro

Surely though, it is society that creates the labels, and therefore creates the illness?
There is no physical proof for mental illness so we cannot be sure whether or not they exist. I accept that people go through different experiences meaning that they react in different ways but have medical professors used drugs and therapy as more of a way to make money?
JacobAnderson

Con

To follow this argument is to follow the argument that anything named by society, society has created. The universe, for example, has been here for times before Earth's creation yet wasn't created after we decided to name it. Something as simple as chocolate chip cookies weren't invented until the late 1930s (http://iml.jou.ufl.edu...) but were still made before they were labeled. So to follow this statement is to be fallacious.

Schizophrenia is a serious mental illness that leads to mulitple symptoms such as hallucinations and if unmedicated can lead to more severe symptoms. To say that this is all a reason for doctors to make money would be ignorant and illogical.
EmilyJ

Pro

Your point is valid and I am beginning to see that society has not created all mental illnesses. This has been interesting, thank you.
JacobAnderson

Con

I'm glad you see the same way as me regardless of your experience.
EmilyJ

Pro

EmilyJ forfeited this round.
EmilyJ

Pro

EmilyJ forfeited this round.
JacobAnderson

Con

JacobAnderson forfeited this round.
Posted by Kreakin 2 years ago
Kreakin
Mental illness usually has as one of the diagnostic criteria along the lines of causes the patient distress or interferes with day to day life significantly.

Check out
http://allpsych.com...
to get you started.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
EmilyJJacobAndersonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes in the 3rd round.