pittythefool
2cents4change

Has the Catholic church been involved in the predominant amount of sexual abuse cases in the media

pittythefool

Pro

I suppose it would appear that the Catholic Church have been involved innate in a inexcusable amount of sexual scandals highlighted in the media! for what seems to be an age. Is there something inherently poisoning the fabric of the church? or is the religion itself to blame I suppose its hard to debate anything else. Does the church conduct or condone this deviant behaviour? or does it attract these type of predators? Questions that aren't easy however I feel this issue has not had the attention it needs. Thousands of unanswered cases in Europe, America, Asia and Africa. Has there been an intentional cover up from governments all over the world particularly Europe and America? Has anyone got a view? what would be the consensus?????????????
2cents4change

Con

Although I agree they ARE involved, I do not believe they are the predominant percentage of sexual abuse as a whole but ARE in the media because of the sensationalized portrayal by the media for ratings purposes and the inherent betrayal both to people of faith and the children, and some adults, involved. The Church, and by extension its clergy, is suppose to be the moral compass for followers of that particular faith. When they fall to temptations and lead a life astray or opposite the teaching they themselves preach and hold church members and others accountable too, it is a huge blow to peoples faith in both the clergy and the religion that the clergy practices. That the majority of victims are children, further erodes faith.
pittythefool

Pro

The Catholic Church had been the predominant organisation involved in sexual abuse period. Sensationalised protrayal, wow that's one way of putting it I suppose. Moral compass...please.
2cents4change

Con

Statistics show that sex traffickers are the predominant organizations involved in sexual abuse. We hear about those involving the church more because of the reasons I mentioned before.
pittythefool

Pro

Give me a break your comparing the church with sex traffickers and you don't see this as a problem? Wow I'm surprised anyone would have the audacity but hey nothing surprises me now when it comes from people who support and encourage the catholic church. Don't you think the fact you are having to compare them is just a slight problem. Thousands of cases are listed over the web but I suppose its all rubbish rite!
2cents4change

Con

?I'm not supporting the catholic church ? Im fact I am atheist lol I agree that they dominate the media but I have pointed out the psychological and social reasons why. I argue that your view that they dominate the sexual abuse STATISTICS is false & is biased by your beef with the Catholic Church, perhaps with the religion itself. People who go against all that they are suppose to stand for- purity of spirit and body - plus they judge others to this standard in order for those people to be accepted into Heaven when they themselves have fallen from grace will always pull in more viewers. Sex traffickers rarely make it into the news unless they are connected to a drug ring,terrorist,or a lot of the workers die and the bodies are found.