TdracoHoward
BenJWasson

Has the games industry lost its way?

Started: 1/30/2016 Category: Technology

TdracoHoward

Pro

My first debate so forgive me if i haven't made something clear, please point it out so i can attempt to correct it.

I am an avid gamer and what i mean by this question is, that there have been loads of redos of the same game over and over. For example, Thief without the original Garrett and no history of the other prequels yet set after Thief 3, Tomb Raider which is about Lara's early days but then we have Rise of the Tomb Raider which is also about Lara's early days, the constant Call Of Dutys which have no decent storyline to it, but everyone want to play the multi-player or zombies and the never ending Assassins Creed. What happened to the classics like Half life, Deus Ex, the original Thief, Unreal, Amnesia, Portal and Fallout. In the past I'd look forward to new games coming out because they were new and well made, intuitive, interesting, replayable over and over because they were great, now i expect to be disappointed when a new game comes out because that's the only way i'll be surprised when it turns out good. So i'm saying YES the game industry has lost it way.
BenJWasson

Con

I don't really have an opinion on this topic, but I like it so I'm accepting.
TdracoHoward

Pro

Here is an example an indie game named Who's your daddy (http://store.steampowered.com...) is a very simple game played between two people. One plays as the father whose job is to baby proof everything in the house, the other player plays the baby trying to kill itself. It's a very addictive game with just two players and a house with a very small budget, they are taking ideas for the game from the public and implementing them thus creating a good game, and yet large corporations who have access to millions of dollars can't do anything remotely as simple yet addictive. Warner Bros did it for a while with F.E.A.R and Batman, then on the last few games the quality dropped in an effort to make more money on a franchise! Take a leaf out of the indie developers, you don't make a game to make money!
BenJWasson

Con

My opponent has not mentioned any examples of bad indie games, which there are so many of. Take for example Coastal Defense, a game about defending the shores from ships. I don't think I need to tell you why it is bad after you take a look at this picture:

https://www.google.com...

The thing is, there are many good games, and many bad games, and while some companies may try to just make quick money off of there games, many good games have been created from large companies as well. So while we may not get everything we want, we just have to settle for what we have and help the industries with feedback. For these reasons, I urge all of you to vote con. Thank you for your case and this interesting resolution.
TdracoHoward

Pro

yes a very good point, there will always be good and bad games, those that are just poorly made and those that were
created awfully like Aliens Colonial marines and Star Trek. The companies behind these should
have known better and yet ignored the suggestions and feedback the gamers gave during development, it was as if
they turned around and said F you! We won't do as you tell us! Recently more and more games have been released as
just a way of making more money and slapping in a large title on so you'd buy it, though I have yet to find a terrible
Bethesda game. Nearly all avid gamers these days just go back to playing old games like Half life (or Black Mesa),
Deus Ex and many others just so they can get a glimpse of what a decent game is, because they don't make them with
the gamer in mind, just money. In the past developers didn't care if they sold one copy or not they just cared
about the quality of the game. It would be nice if we could go back to that but money presides over all.
BenJWasson

Con

I agree. I enjoyed this debate, so thank you.
Posted by mcpansuriya 1 year ago
mcpansuriya
nice debate topic
Posted by mcpansuriya 1 year ago
mcpansuriya
good
Posted by BenJWasson 1 year ago
BenJWasson
the topic interests me, so i'd like to debate it. i just don't have a strong opinion..
Posted by TdracoHoward 1 year ago
TdracoHoward
Erm? If you don't have an opinion why did you accept it?
Posted by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
Just missed it.
Posted by BenJWasson 1 year ago
BenJWasson
i'd like to debate this please
Posted by TdracoHoward 1 year ago
TdracoHoward
done
Posted by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
Make it 72 hours and I'm in.