HalfAnOnion
PowerPikachu21

Hate speech should be made illegal in the U.S.

HalfAnOnion has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

HalfAnOnion

Pro

Round 1 Acceptance. This debate will be done like an essay; each round a different part of the essay

R1: Acceptance

R2: Intro and 3 Points stated

R3: 1st point backed up

R4 2nd and 3rd point backed up

R5 Conclusion
PowerPikachu21

Con

3 hours per argument? I'd better get researching! I think that hate speech should stay legal.
HalfAnOnion

Pro

Hate speech is disgusting. It supports the idea that being bigoted is something to be proud of. It promotes xenophobia, making people fear others. It allows people to bully or cyberbully others, without any limits. It makes people, such as homosexuals and Muslims, be afraid of who they are. Hate speech is a horrible thing, effecting so many people;physically and mentally. That is why, we, as a nation need to put an end to this, to protect our citizens.
PowerPikachu21

Con

Hate Speech is distasteful. However, making this illegal would ignore the first amendment to the Constitution; Freedom of Speech. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." We should be able to speak our minds without penalty, as that's a basic right.

At times, hate can be beneficial. With Trump as our president, people are concerned of what he's going to do, and disallowing hate speech would hinder a needed rebellion if need be.

[I want this debate to go quickly, as I have school on Monday. I only see 1 point really on Pro's Round 2, so there's that.]
HalfAnOnion

Pro

It promotes xenophobia. allowing people to speak hatefully against others promotes xenophobia. If you let anyone go out on the streets and yell "god hates f*gs" people will soon start to think it is alright to do that. If you allow hate speech to continue, xenophobia will become wide spread. That means that teachers in schools could start enforcing bigotry and hate. Young children should not have to witness these fits thrown by other people.
PowerPikachu21

Con

I have to interject one moment. "God hates people" isn't exactly something that would spread hate outside of a religious group, but even then those people would know God is all loving or such. Any other insults yelled by someone out on the streets, even if it's 200 people, would that really be enough to spread hate? We're supposed to be proving our arguments, preferably via using sources; websites that support these arguments.

My source for the 1st Amendment is wikipedia, naturally. https://en.wikipedia.org...

I do admit hate speech is hurtful to our feelings. However, sometimes it's a neccesary evil.

To further support my 1st argument, I would like to bring up YouTuber shofu. In his competitive videos, he sometimes jokingly insults his opponent for being not as skilled as him. This kind of speech is considered "Hate Speech", and would be deemed illegal, putting a pretty innocent guy in jail. All he's doing is entertainment.
Posted by Tom-The-Hypocrit 1 year ago
Tom-The-Hypocrit
In my right hand I have a bottle of high-pressure hate speech which continues to build up in pressure...

But Im a stupid Leftist so I', gonna shove a cork in that bottle, sit on it and hope it goes away...

Clearly if their is hate speech or mild racist/sexism it should be opposed openly and outclassed with debate. Who do you think would be respected more, the calm collected arguer on the hate side with facts and common ground to back them up, or a screaming protester who just calls people names to win their arguments... Do you not see why the alt-right and Trump has so many younger followers now?
Posted by Doom-Guy-666-1993 1 year ago
Doom-Guy-666-1993
1st amendment mother fricker.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
What is " speech".. If you can not say what you think ?
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
Seems like you timed out. Be extra mindful when making a debate with a 12 hour or less time limit to argue.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
If I keep an eye on this debate, I should be able to get it finished before 11:00 PM tonight.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
If you don't answer by 2 hours from now, then I don't think I'll be able to make it all the way through the debate. There's a glitch where if you time out, the whole debate freezes forever.