Lookingatissues
NNEye

Have adults disapeared From America...

Lookingatissues

Pro

Where have all the adults gone in America, did a mystic character like the Pied Piper of Hamelin wrote about by Robert Browning play a magic tune and all the adults followed him out of the country one day never to return. Was it John Dewey , the father of modern education who's philosophies doomed America to be occupied by a citizenry of ever perpetual youth never to develop into adults."The battle for humankind's future must be waged and won in the public school classroom by teachers who correctly perceive their role as the proselytizers of a new faith: A religion of humanity -- utilizing a classroom instead of a pulpit to carry humanist values into wherever they teach - Did the youth of America learn all to well the lessons of relativism and no absolutes taught in the Public educational institutions and so act as children with no rules of conduct to guide their behavior but those of in mature children. Diana West a book titled," The DEATH OF THE GROWN -UP "How AMERICA'S ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT IS BRINGING DOWN WESTERN CIVILIZATION." Diana west wrote this ," once upon a time, in the not too distant past, childhood was a phase, adolescence did not exist, and adulthood was the fulfillment of youth's promise. No more. why not? A profound civilizational shift has taken place...."
"....Chucking maturity for eternal youth may have created the culture of perpetual adolescence,, but it should now become apparent that this isn't the same thing as achieving cultural longevity...." Have adults disappeared from America can America continue to survive for long without them.
NNEye

Con

Let's establish a few things here.

Definitions:

Adult n: a fully grown person or animal. [1]
Here's an example of an adult:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Case 1:

Pro is 33 years old [2]. If he's an American and his age is not falsified, this debate is over.

Case 2:

Most of the American population is over 20 years old [3].

Case 3:

America is led by a 53 year old president [4].

Case 4:

No evidence exists of a massive abduction that claimed every adult off the face of America. Then again, hold on a second.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No wait...I thought I saw a man in the beam. Sorry for the mistake. That's a cow and a man is looking at the cow...I think it's kind of clear, although I will need to develop the photo further to be sure that it depicts a cow being abducted with a man watching and not a man being abducted with a cow watching...with a rifle. Cows with rifles are awesome. Then again, cows with rifles are scary. 2% milk packing heat is scary.

Here's the same image after I developed it further:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No, I'm pretty sure that's a cow.

Conclusion:

Adults are clearly still in America.

[1]
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.debate.org...
[3] http://www.census.gov...;
[4] https://www.barackobama.com...;
Lookingatissues

Pro

I was quite amused and had too laugh at your presentation in debating my supposition that adults have disappeared and childish acting adult homo-sapiens have, taken their place. When I posted "Have adults disappeared From America," I didn't mean it to be taken literally but that people today don't behave as would be expected from adults.
Why the reversal of children's and adult's roles in this country, its been taught to parents to regard their children as little adults and treat them as if they were and then not expect that when they do reach the age of adulthood that they won't behave irresponsibly.
Why has this role reversal Happened, ,was it because parents early on gave up their position as parents to raise their children to elite intellectuals such as Doctor Benjamin Spock who convinced America's young parents that he knew better than they did how best to raise their children. his ideas about childcare influenced several generations of parents to be more flexible...., and to treat them as individuals....."( Little- Adults.) Although ...."Near the last years of his life, he admitted he was wrong about his ideas, citing the state of society at the time...."
Quotes about Benjamin Spock " From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NNEye

Con

Concerning this Debate's Literal Resolution.

Seeing as there is a conflict between your intended resolution (that "people today don't behave as would be expected from adults) and the debate's resolution ("Have adults disappeared From America;" reworded: Adults disappeared from America), and given that there were no definitions provided for "adult" and perhaps "disappeared," I responded to the literal meaning of the debate's resolution, arguing that adults have not disappeared from America. If you want to debate a certain topic, make the resolution less vague (for instance, here, you could have the debate topic be "People in America Today don't Behave as would be expecte from Adults") and establish definitions for any necessary terms within the resolution (e.g., "adult," "behave").

Additionally, in Round 1, provide a description of the standard expected for adults (with sources) so that both you and your opponent can debate the issue over that standard. Otherwise, the debate would be hopelessly subjective with both sides arguing with their own differing set of standards.

Use Round 1 to establish the terms, scope, rules, definitions, and format of the debate. Since none of that has been established in round 1 and because you have not addressed my argument in round 1, cases 1 to 5 are extended and thus, the literal resolution of the debate is negated as of round 2.

Concerning this Debate's Intended Resolution, according to Pro

Let's assume that we continue to run this debate under your intended resolution, that "people today don't behave as would be expected from adults." There would still be several problems with your side as Pro as of round 2;

1) You did not establish the standards expected for adults (with sources) that both Pro and Con must go off of for the purposes of this debate. As such, this debate is purely subjective with nothing to go off of.

2) You stated "Why the reversal of children's and adult's roles in this country, its been taught to parents to regard their children as little adults and treat them as if they were and then not expect that when they do reach the age of adulthood that they won't behave irresponsibly." Where is your proof that the roles of adults and children have been reversed in America, and what do you mean when you claim that? To what degree do you claim that? If I were to take your statement literally, I would see that it is universal, that you are either claiming:
  • A) The role of every adult and child in America have been reversed, to which all I would need to do is provide an example where the parent of a family unit is acting as an adult should and the child of a family unit is acting as a child should (already having established the expected standards for both).
  • B) The normative roles of the adult and child have been reversed, to which I would challenge you to prove that is the case, where every child is expected to act like an adult and every adult is expected to act like a child.
For the record, here are some of the roles of an adult a child is not expected to do in America, according to an article on pbs with regards to a child's education [1]:
  • Act as a child's first teacher and a role model for the child, showing the child how education extends what the child learns from the parent
  • Pay attention to the interests and mannerisms of the child and help the child explore those interests
  • Learn and adapt to how his or her child learns
  • Obtain jobs to provide for the well-being of their parents
Additionally, here are some of the roles of adults (according to LifeCho) that you should question is being taken up by children for the sake of adults [2]:
  • Are children in America expected to tend to the biological needs of adults?
  • Are children in America expected to provide a safe, nurturing, and supportive environment that allows adults to experience healthy growth?
  • Are children in America expected to protect adults?
  • Are children in America expected to teach adults and to see to their academic needs?
  • Are children in America expected to provide direction, guidance, direction, and help for adults?
  • Are children in America expected to support and motivate adults?
  • Are children in America expected to teach adults to acquire emotional wellbeing?
  • Are children in America expected to discipline adults (groundings, suspension of privileges, mild corporal punishment, etc.)?
I contend that children are not expected to take on the aforementioned obligations, as there is no evidence that children are expected to adopt them. As pro, you must prove (with sources) that, universally, children in America are expected to take on the aformentioned obligations, or, universally, prove that children in America are taking up those obligations. Anecdotal circumstances or standards do not speak for normative circumstances or standards. Good luck.

[1]
http://www.pbs.org...
[2] http://www.lifecho.com...

Lookingatissues

Pro

Thank you for your informative rebuttal. While a lengthy dissertation could be developed delving into all the different subtle nuances that could be inferred by the subject,"Have adults disappeared From America..." The intent of the writer of the debate is quite evident by the further development of the post. As Saul Bellow once said,"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." Is there a state of confusion because of the use of the generic term "Child," if there is, The American Heritage " Stedman's Medical Dictionary gives this
definition of the term child in Medicine

child (chīld)
n.

A person between birth and puberty.

An unborn infant; a fetus.

An infant; a baby.

One who is childish or immature.

A son or daughter; an offspring.

"The United Nations thus drew up a definition of the child so that all countries having ratified the international Convention of the Rights of the Child share the same reference, which is laid down in Article 1 of the Convention :
Thanks to the Convention, it became very simple to (define a child, which is a human being under 18 years of age,) unless the law of his or her country deems him or her to be an adult at an earlier age, which is rare.
" A child means every human being below the age of eighteen years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier"
The United Nations thus drew up a definition of the child so that all countries having ratified the international Convention of the Rights of the Child share the same reference, which is laid down in Article 1 of the Convention :
"" A child means every human being below the age of eighteen years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier""
When I stated that adults had switched behavior roles I was indicating that even though a adult had reached the chronological age in which they were considered adults legally, they still behaved as a child might behave. I refer you back to The American Heritage " Stedman's Medical Dictionary descriptions of a Child above I e, one descriptions given for a child is," One who is childish or immature
(chronological age
NOUN [PSYCHOLOGY]
"the number of years a person has lived, especially when used as a standard against which to measure behavior, intelligence, etc. ." I rest assured and am satisfied that your intentions were well meaning and not meant to confuse anyone about what I had wrote in this debate, I hope that what I have written here will clarify any misinterpretations, of what I had posted to open this debate.
NNEye

Con

Thanks.

Concerning Round 1

You stated "While a lengthy dissertation could be developed delving into all the different subtle nuances that could be inferred by the subject, 'Have adults disappeared From America...' The intent of the writer of the debate is quite evident by the further development of the post."

There is a problem. Your statement in round 1 was especially vague. Even after analyzing your statement in Round 1 for Round 3, it becomes even more vague on two levels
  • A) You seem to have argued or suggested that the supposed disappearance of adults is due to the teaching of relativism to children, yet you neglected to objectively relate the teaching of relativism with the disappearance of adults (you merely posed it as a suggestion anyway, along with your other suggestions). You also failed to present an objective standard for adulthood that requires adults to adhere to a standard of objectivism in order to be adequately defined as adults. You failed to define what an adult is, so I went by the definition found.
  • B) Additionally, you failed to define the scope of your statement, leaving me to assume that you were arguing (or suggesting) that relativity universally deprived kids in America the opportunity to develop into adults. As such, I negated the following resolution implied: Relativism (and the other proposed implications or suggestions in round 1) denied children the opportunity to develop into adults, allowing for the disappearance of adults from America, proving that adults still reside in America. Also, the ambiguity of your argument required that every adult in America must be and act as a child (or is expected to act as a child) in order for your resolution to be true. If one adult in America acts as an adult or if it is expected that adults acts as adults, whatever the standard of adulthood may be (again this was never defined in Round 1), then the resolution is negated.

As such, the resolution "Relativism (and the other proposed implications or suggestions in round 1) denied children the opportunity to develop into adults, allowing for the disappearance of adults from America" stands negated as of Round 1 per the four cases I presented.

Concerning Round 2

Rather than using round 2 to refute my argument in Round 1, you effectively conceded on my four cases in round 1 and attempted to clarify that you meant to argue that "people today don't behave as would be expected from adults." However, as I stated in Round 2, just as in Round 1, you failed to provide a standard for adulthood; you failed to define what an adult is and you failed to define the scope of your statement. As such, I could only refute what was presented, asserting that children are not expected to take up the obligations of an adult as presented in Round 2.

The modified resolution People today don't behave as would be expected from adults stands negated as of Round 2 per the arguments I presented.

Concerning Round 3

Rather than using Round 3 to refute my arguments in (either) Rounds 1 and 2, you effectively conceded on my argument in Round 2 and provided definitions as follows (all of which should have been made in Round 1):

Child (chīld), n. 1. A person between birth and puberty. 2. An unborn infant; a fetus. 3. An infant; a baby. 4. One who is childish or immature. 5. A son or daughter; an offspring.

You later indicated that the debate is focused on definition 4, "one who is childish or immature," stating (or suggesting) that those who reached the age in which one is legally considered an adult still behave as a child might behave. Still, that leaves ambiguity; you never provided a set of standards one must go by in order to be considered an adult for the purposes of this debate, and you never defined the scope of the debate (whether national or local to any degree). Therefore, my statement in Round 2 still negates your intended resolution, which I will reiterate:

The answer, of course, is no.

All arguments in Rounds 1 and 2 are extended and stand uncontested as of Round 3. Children are not expected to behave like adults and adults are expected to fulfill the obligations of an adult as cited in Round 2. Adults still make up the bulk of the American population. The resolution stands negated.

Final tips

Establish definitions, terms, rules, and conditions in Round 1. Back up your arguments with sources. Mitigate ambiguity.

Thanks for the debate!

Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
Errors in round 2:

"Obtain jobs to provide for the well-being of their parents."
Intended: "Obtain jobs to provide for the well-being of their children.

"Cases 1 to 5..."
Intended: "Cases 1 to 4..."
Posted by NNEye 2 years ago
NNEye
I could troll this debate so hard. Please let me troll this debate.
Posted by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
Define "adult", what does an "adult" consist of?