Harlan
Lightkeeper

Having a resolution with two unrelated topics is bad, and the show "Lost" has a bad plot.

Lightkeeper

Harlan

Pro

Having two resolutions in one debate can be very confusing, much in the way that the plot of Lost is confusing and random.

To have a debate about 2 different things, is to not have enough focus on either of the topics, since the focus is divided in two -much in the way that the writing of the script for the show Lost, is divided between writers who are not in synchronization of what it is about. It will go back and forth between the two topics (in much the way that lost goes back and forth between crazy and irrelevent flashbacks, and the crazy and irrelevent story), and will be hard to follow.

Speaking of hard to follow, "Lost" has a random plot which is confusing merely for the sake of being confusing. It is meant to make the viewer wonder what the answer to the mystery is, but it is obvious that there is no real answer to it. It gets more and more ridicilous (as ridicilous as debating 2 resolutions at once) and harder to follow.

Debating two resolutions will confuse the voters, and they will not know what to vote on. For instance, what if one person wins on one resolution, and the other on the other resolution? Well that's as confusing as Lost.

The show Lost starts off (beginning of an episode or the beginning of a season) by giving one a Strong sense of curiosity which needs to be satisfied. They throw out crazy twists, and the viewer watches the show constantly to figure out how they are all connected. Though at the end of the show or the end of the season, nothing is figured out, and nothing is connected. Pn the same token, in a debate with two resolutions, at the end it is evident to the voter that the two topics re truly random and unconnected in every way. It leaves the viewer/voter with an empty feeling inside. They get so wrapped up in the plot/debate, only to learn that not even the writer/instigater of the script/debate knows any more than they do, what the hell it is about.

Having a debate with two resolutions is essentially having 2 debates, but in the same field. For the sake of organization and fitting in with the given system, it makes sense to simply have them as two seperate debates.

The show Lost has absolutely no substance to the plot. It is just a bunch of questions. What could this be? Why is this? They never have answers, in the same way you can't have one answer for two topics. It is also very un-plausible in almost every way. The very foundation of the story is flawed, for one, because the chances that anyone would have survived such a plane crash (or the chances of a reader surviving such a badly-structured debate) is next to nil. Likewise, the very foundation of a debate with two different threads of thought is flawed. There are many other ridicilous twists with no explanation or plausibility, such as a polar bear on a jungle island.

Also, I would like to call atention to the monster thing which was a large part of the plot for some time. Isn't it a little stupid to have a monster chasing someone in broad daylight, but not ever pointing the camera at the monster? That is pretty crappy cameratography. On that same note, having two resolutions makes for a pretty crappy debate.

It is very un-productive to watch Lost, and/or to try to concentrate on two different subjects. Lost is pretty stupid, and so is conjoining two completely unrelated ideas into one sentance using the conjunction "and".

-Harlan
Lightkeeper

Con

I thank my opponent for this opportunity.

My opponent's resolution is twofold. He seeks to prove that having a debate with two resolutions is bad and that 'lost' has a bad plot.

Given the conjunctive way in which his resolution was put, he must therefore prove both parts of it if he is to be successful.

I now address the first part of the resolution.
(part a)

1. Confusing.
I disagree with this contention. It's not unusual for a debater to run a number of different debates at any one time. This is just one of those situations except that the two debates are put on a single 'piece of paper'.
Secondly, debates often contain a number of contentions, some of such often put in the alternative. As long as this is presented with some clarity, it should not lead to any confusion.
The topics can easily be divided into parts a and b. I will also point out that in single-resolution debates the various contentions are often independent of one another and therefore are in themselves independent mini-debates. The situation is no different with a double resolution debate.

2. Voting
A double resolution debate that is put on the basis of "res a or res b" could be more confusing for the voter. A resolution put on a "and" basis however should not pose that problem. The reason is that the instigator must prove both "limbs" in order to succeed. If he fails on either then he should lose votes, at least on the "convincing argument" criterion. Having said that, I contend that a voter is easily capable of fair judgement on this criterion even in an "or" debate. If one debater does better on the first limb but worse on the second then "convincing argument" should be a tie. Again this is not much different to adjudicating a single-resolution debate that's based on a number of contentions.

3. Empty feeling. I contend a voter in a double-resolution debate will in fact feel entertained and fulfilled by the original nature of the debate they have read. While the topics can be unconnected, so are often many different contentions in a single-resolution debate.

4. Crappy debate. I contend that the quality of a debate should be judged on its merits and not on the question of how the resolution is put logically. Even a bad resolution can give rise to an interesting and enjoyable debate if done with some skill.

5. It is claimed that putting two unrelated resolutions with "and" is stupid. I disagree with this. I contend it's a great idea. It puts the onus on the instigator to prove two things and thus gives him an exciting challenge. By the same token it makes it easy for the contender who can win even if he concedes or loses one part of the resolution. This makes for a flexible debate and it increases the chances of finding a contender quickly.

In conclusion, having two resolutions in a debate may be a little differerent to the norm but by no means is it bad.

Part b
The show Lost does not have a bad plot.
My opponent himself has argued that the plot has completely no substance. I agree with that. I further say that for a thing to exist it must have some substance. Since the plot of Lost has absolutely no substance, there is no plot. Since there is no plot, there can't be a bad plot.
Harlan

Pro

Harlan forfeited this round.
Lightkeeper

Con

Given that my opponent has forfeited the round, I will not post anything in this round. I continue to adopt my argument from the previous round.
Harlan

Pro

Man, good job. You win, sorry I didn't keep up the debate.
Lightkeeper

Con

I thank my opponent for this (albeit prematurely finished) debate.

For obvious reasons I urget the voters to go Con.
Posted by Lightkeeper 8 years ago
Lightkeeper
Harlan,

I've been vote-bombed in 3 of my debates and this is one of them. I have no idea why but within 2 hours I got 21 points against me in 3 debates.
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
Honestly, why do I have more votes? I forfieted 2 rounds and specifically made it clear that I was conceding. Vote CON.
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Pro conceded. Obviously, my vote goes Con.
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
If I don't post in that time assume that I have conceded the debate and you win.
Posted by Lightkeeper 8 years ago
Lightkeeper
Heh....
All I ask is that you leave me at least 24 hours to reply to your argument :)
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
You posted a pretty good round 1, imagined it would be hard.
Posted by Lightkeeper 8 years ago
Lightkeeper
Why weren't you lookingo forward?
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
Though it should be noted that the reason I missed the deadline was that I was not looking forward to making my rebuttal, since it seemed ominous, and I therefore procrastinated it and forgot about it. I can't exactly say if that should be excused.
Posted by Lightkeeper 8 years ago
Lightkeeper
That's ok.
Just reply in comments :)
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
Sorry,...I thought I had more time.
Vote Placed by dvhoose 8 years ago
dvhoose
HarlanLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
HarlanLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
HarlanLightkeeperTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
HarlanLightkeeperTied