PARAMORE1220
Yraelz

Having bad table manners makes you a less-liked person.

Con Tied Pro

PARAMORE1220

Con

I am against this topic of debate, because I have a friend who doesn't have the best table manners, but he/she is one of the more popular kids in school. He/she does many sports, has many friends, and is liked by his/her teachers as well as fellow classmates.
Also, if a person has bad table manners, you cannot judge them; "don't judge a book by its cover". I believe that if someone doesn't have good table manners, that could be a result of not realizing what they are doing, or if their parents never told them how not to eat at the table. Many people might not like how the person is eating, but it certainly doesn't make them a bad person or less-liked person.
Yraelz

Pro

Alright, thank you for the debate topic. Lets begin. On your arguments.

"I am against this topic of debate, because I have a friend who doesn't have the best table manners, but he/she is one of the more popular kids in school. He/she does many sports, has many friends, and is liked by his/her teachers as well as fellow classmates."

>>While your friend may be a happy exception to this phenomenon I feel the more likely scenario to be that your friend has good things about him/her that outweigh the bad ones (such as bad table manners). Notice your resolution states "makes you a less-liked person". These 2 sentences in no way proves that your friend is/is not a more or less liked person because of their table manners. It simply attests to the idea that your friend is well liked. Could your friend me more well liked if they had better table manners? I would argue yes but will get there later.

"Also, if a person has bad table manners, you cannot judge them; "don't judge a book by its cover"."

>>You offer me a moral imperative that I personally agree with. However a lot of people do not follow this rule. There are many many people out there who are more than willing to "judge a book by its cover" and will do so given the opportunity. This decreases the chance for your friend to be well liked by such people which proves your resolution false. Your friend will be less-liked by such people.

Having bad table manners will make a person less-liked by people who "judge a book by its cover".

"I believe that if someone doesn't have good table manners, that could be a result of not realizing what they are doing, or if their parents never told them how not to eat at the table."

>>Yes I agree. Table manners personally do not bother me unless someone is being amazingly obnoxious to the point where I can't hear myself think because they are eating with their mouth open. Notice however that this point does not further your case in anyway.

"Many people might not like how the person is eating, but it certainly doesn't make them a bad person or less-liked person."

>>This is your conclusion, thus I present my conclusion.

A person with bad table manners will be judged by some (not all) and through those people they will become less-liked. Also these people have the potential to gossip to their friends which will spread a negative image about said person. This negative image will impede them from becoming liked a negative stereotype has formed against them. An impediment such as this will result in a person being less liked than they could potentially be. Thus making them a "less-liked person".

My second point is as follows. People with bad table manners will naturally not be invited to dinner parties or if they are invited to dinner parties will probably not be re-invited multiple times. Should they be re-invited over and over because their personality happens to be flawless this will still result in the people who do not talk to them or get to experience their great personality to judge their table eating manners. However more than likely a person with atrocious table manners will not be re-invited to the party. This will result in the person meeting less people than they possibly could have which will decrease the potential for overall like. The decreased potential for overall like will make the person a less-liked person than they could have potentially been.

My third, and irrelevant point goes against you saying, "a bad person". I would like to point out that we are not arguing about whether the person is bad or not. However I would also like to say that some people, who are bad, use table manners to exemplify the fact.

Thus I affirm your resolution.
PARAMORE1220

Con

I understand your points, but he/she IS invited to parties, friend get-togethers to many places, and is very well liked. He/she has had these table manners since first grade,if my memory doesn't decieve me, but no one has ever spread a rumor about them. I have heard people talk about his/her atrocious eating habits, but the word never got around that he/she had bad table manners, and that is why, as I said before, this person is always invited to parties, get-togethers, school dances, ect.
Yraelz

Pro

Alright, round 2. On your point.

"I have heard people talk about his/her atrocious eating habits, but the word never got around that he/she had bad table manners, and that is why, as I said before, this person is always invited to parties, get-togethers, school dances, ect."

>> You have a small contradiction in this excerpt being mainly that you say you have heard that people talking about his/her atrocious eating habits but it has never got around. First off I would like to point out that you can't possibly prove it has never got around. If you have heard people talk about about it then more than likely people have also talked about it when you have not heard. Secondly it has gotten around. To you at least, as you have heard people talking about it.

The person might be invited to parties, get-togethers, school dances, etc... this does not change my points from my previous argument however that argue he/she would still me more-liked if he/she had good table manners. And once again you argue an unprovable point; it is more than possible that your friend has been denied being invited to get-togethers. You cannot not assume to have all knowledge of all social happenings at your school. Parties that you did not know about for instance. Or that you were also not invited to for some reason.

Once again my case rests on the point that your friend could be potentially more liked if he/she had better table manners and therefor is potentially less liked because of the lack.
PARAMORE1220

Con

Round 3... here we go...

You are right in the fact that I don't know all the social happenings in my school, but my school is made up of around 200 students... therefore, I have a good chance of knowing what's going on in terms of parties, get-togethers, ect.

From your previous argument... Maybe this person would be liked even more if he/she didn't have the bad eating habits, but there is no way of knowing this information.
Yraelz

Pro

On your last speech.

"You are right in the fact that I don't know all the social happenings in my school, but my school is made up of around 200 students... therefore, I have a good chance of knowing what's going on in terms of parties, get-togethers, ect."

>>You admit to a small margin of error for one. Second point, even with 200 people you couldn't possibly know about every little social get together. It may have stopped your friend from hanging out with single select people or small groups of people at times.

"From your previous argument... Maybe this person would be liked even more if he/she didn't have the bad eating habits, but there is no way of knowing this information."

>>The only way to know for sure in your own microcosm would be to test it out. However I'm not attacking your friend here I am attacking people who have bad table manners. I am using the point that some people will judge and that this will detriment the person with the bad table manners in the above stated three ways. All of which lead to that person being liked less than he/she could have been. You are defending your side of this argument with exactly one example and even with that one example you haven't yet offered me any conclusive evidence, or even any evidence that your friend is just as well liked because of his eating habits as he would be without them.

Thus with you failing to uphold your side of the resolution I urge a vote for the Pro as I have given many logical reasons why a person with bad table manners would indeed be a less-liked person.
PARAMORE1220

Con

Let me rephrase my last statement... there are 200 students in my school; nursery-8th grade. In the upper school (grades 6-8) there are only 50 students, and my class doesn't socialize with the rest of the upper school. Therefore, in my class there are 15 students, so now I have a good chance of knowing the parties and social get-togethers.

People may judge my friend, but that never made him/her a LESS-liked person; if this person was LESS-liked, they wouldn't be invited to anything.
Yraelz

Pro

As my final speech in this debate I will simply rebut your points and offer a brief summary.

"Let me rephrase my last statement... there are 200 students in my school; nursery-8th grade. In the upper school (grades 6-8) there are only 50 students, and my class doesn't socialize with the rest of the upper school. Therefore, in my class there are 15 students, so now I have a good chance of knowing the parties and social get-togethers."

>>Still you admit to having a "good chance" this leaves the opportunity for small get togethers that go undetected by you. /also you act as if your friends only social happenings are those of the 15 students in your class however I am sure he/she has some kind of life outside of school and has talked to members of other classrooms at least a few times.

"People may judge my friend, but that never made him/her a LESS-liked person; if this person was LESS-liked, they wouldn't be invited to anything."

>>Once again I am contesting your opinion with my reasons from the last 3 rounds.

1. Your friend is invited to dinner parties less.
2. Your friend is judged by people who eat with him but do not have the opportunity to talk to him. (This could even be a person walking by in passing)
3. People who judge your friend have the opportunity to gossip to others.
4. This leads to a biased opinion by others against your friend.
5. All of these reasons stop your friend from being invited to do some things, even if only a small amount of things because deep down he/she has a killer personality, which in turn stops your friend from having the opportunity of meeting new people.
6. This opportunity stops your friend from being liked by those people which makes him/her a less-liked person in the long run.

You say "they wouldn't be invited to anything" in your last paragraph but you have already proven that they would be because they have a good personality. I am simply arguing that there are some things your friend has not been invited to. Even if on a very minute scale.

Thank you for your time. =)
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
-Yraelz finds himself groaning.-
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
This debate sure got technical. Anyways, Yraelz ftw! The con let him have absolute control over the direction the debate went. I'd post more, but I am literally about to fall asleep. If asked, I'll provide a more detailed explanation in the morning.
Vote Placed by Crust89 9 years ago
Crust89
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by THEmanlyDEBATER3 9 years ago
THEmanlyDEBATER3
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Krad 9 years ago
Krad
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Ninjanuke 9 years ago
Ninjanuke
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by rwebberc 9 years ago
rwebberc
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by qwerty15ster 9 years ago
qwerty15ster
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
PARAMORE1220YraelzTied