SashaAlekzandr
draxhunter

Heavy medal music is not "emo"

draxhunter
Started: 3/24/2014 Category: Music

SashaAlekzandr

Pro

As a teenage girl who listen to what most people would call "emo" and "suicidal" I do not think that it is fair that I have to be subject to that kind of torment. When I look at the top 100 list of songs all I see are pop/rap songs with lyrics talking about f**king women and how much swag and money they have. I think that is what is making teenagers today feel the pressure to fit in to society.
draxhunter

Con

Of course Heavy metal music is not "emo". You look at awesome bands like Manowar, Alice in Chains,, Gwar did some heavy metal here and there to name a few. It's called Hardcore, Post- hardcore. Even though it's not called "emo" because of the fact that it's just too heavy most of the time. Heavy metal is a genre that can be broken up into sections. Hardcore and Post-hardcore fall into heavy metal, but not heavy metal is not considered to be emo. The reason also that they are not the same is because the sounds of the instrument in Post-Hardcore it's mainly young teenagers with society issue screaming, with heavy metal it can be understandable. You can feel that's it's heavy metal due to the sounds of the instrument but still enjoy the lyrics as well. Listen to Manowar- Die for metal. In post-hardcore it's just lot of banging listen to Asking Alexandria, We Came As Romans compared to Metallica, AC/DC, Meshuggah and others and you can see they are similar but they are different. Also Heavy Metal came before the post-hardcore crap they call music.
SashaAlekzandr

Pro

SashaAlekzandr forfeited this round.
draxhunter

Con

You don't have to listen to their screaming whiny music. You can listen to good metal. Metal is a art emo or post- hardcore is crap that most hormonal teenagers couldn't do so they scream. I mean yeah some of them have meaning. Most of them are just crud. It seems weird to even mix the two together.
SashaAlekzandr

Pro

SashaAlekzandr forfeited this round.
draxhunter

Con

It's fine to say Heavy Metal is not emo. My partner has dropped out from both of the competition so I would like to say they are similar in a way where they are both heavy metal. They both consist of heavy riffs. I cannot say for sure that screamo is not metal. It is metal just made for younger inexperienced artists. Me saying that metal is also emo. At least some of them. Not all tell you to cut yourself but there are metal that are definitely emo out there.
Posted by northlay 3 years ago
northlay
metal- suffocation
metallica
Judas Priest

post hardcore- from first to last
attack! attack! (mostly)

emo- American football
capn jazz
The van pelt
Posted by Adrilidexus 3 years ago
Adrilidexus
I would just like to point out that rap isn't the only genre that sings about sex either. Metal does, as does pop, country, etc.

As an example, these are two songs, one by Heavenly, one by Dreamtale. One is Power Metal, one is Neo-classic heavy metal.

This is "Carpe Diem" by Heavenly. It is erotic, singing about, in a sense...making love.

This is "Secret Door" by Dreamtale. A Power Metal ballad about the union of bride and groom.

In short, you can't base the argument about rap off this. Metal does it as well.
Posted by Cat_Lover 3 years ago
Cat_Lover
Heres the difference between emo and heavy metal

Sunny day real estate, is emo

Amon Amarth, is not.
Posted by Adrilidexus 3 years ago
Adrilidexus
@tyler

Helloween
Alice Cooper
Def Leppard
Heavenly(neo-classic French band. And they are hard.)
Freedom Call
Gamma Ray
Edguy
Dreamtale
Sonata Artica
Posted by Nels4Tats 3 years ago
Nels4Tats
drax, you're on the wrong side of the debate XD
Posted by draxhunter 3 years ago
draxhunter
Emo and heavy metal are totally different. Emo music is totally different like Asking Alexandria, We Came as Romans. Heavy metal are like Meshuggah, Manowar, AC/DC to name a few. Heavy Metal is a art but emo is for distraught people. They are similar in the sense one Emo music wouldn't have existed because of Heavy Metal. They are both metal in a sense but they are different because you can mostly understand Heavy metal. I have never understood Emo.
Posted by Nels4Tats 3 years ago
Nels4Tats
I don't know of people that go through "torment" because they listen to a specific type of music. I completely agree with Frikcha, no one is pressuring you to fit into society. Also, if you don't like people judging what type of music you like, why judge people who listen to rap and pop. That's just plain hypocritical to me...
Posted by tyler3923 3 years ago
tyler3923
Please comment some of your favorite bands to confirm or deny whether or not it is some "emo" sh*t.

Also of note... who cares? You like what you like. That should be good enough for you. And since you clearly don't like Justin Bieber you are ahead of the curve.
Posted by Frikcha 3 years ago
Frikcha
What torment? Those songs that have depressing lyrics are just as bad as the vulgar rap songs you are talking about. These songs are about sadness, death and overall negativity and as a teenage girl you shouldn't relate to that kind of stuff. Scream metal and songs about really horrible concepts aren't really songs. Songs about depression and things like that usually come from experience and invoke a certain feeling in people. Nobody is pressuring you to fit into society, this is probably the same kind of bullcrap these songs preach. About how everyone's out to get you and society is horrible.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
What about Welcome Home Sanitarium and Fade to Black by Metallica? They sure sound emo to me. Have you ever listened to the words?
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
SashaAlekzandrdraxhunterTied
Vote Placed by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
SashaAlekzandrdraxhunterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins because (if for no other reason) Pro refused to offer any rebuttal.