brainFreeze
Some_Confused_Kid

Hiding a truth is different from lying.

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

brainFreeze

Pro

Round 1 - Acceptance
Round 2 - Arguments
Round 3 - Rebuttals
Round 4 - Rebuttal and Conclusion

I will be arguing that hiding a truth is different from lying to a person.
Good Luck.
Some_Confused_Kid

Con

brainFreeze

Pro

Thank you Con for accepting my debate. The reason I am debating on this topic is because I am hiding something from somebody and I am 100% sure you have done that as well.
After this debate, this would clarify whether what I am doing is right or wrong. The whole purpose of this debate is to come to a solution that whether should I reveal the truth or not.

Coming back to the topic,

Personally, what I believe is that when you lie, you are providing a FALSE direction to someone's perspective and swaying them away from the truth.
Imagine a line and on the left hand side you have lies, and on the right hand side you have the truth. The more you lie, the "Perspective" keeps going left on that line.

But if you hide the truth, you are not affecting anyone's perspective or swaying away anybody.
Some_Confused_Kid

Con

Under the dictionary it states that lying is saying a false statement.Hiding the truth is just try to word out lying differently. No matter what the dictionary has the final say on the words meaning.

sources: http://www.dictionary.com...
sources: http://www.merriam-webster.com...
sources: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
brainFreeze

Pro

My contender just posted out sources defining the meaning of lie which is completely not what I was looking for in a debate.
I was expecting more of examples or scenarios and explaining how it affects the perspective of the person. According to me, the contender's argument was very weak as he did not explain why it is different other than just stating it.

This debate is to clear my conscious or dilemma about hiding a truth. I have started this debate with the knowledge and definition of lying and hiding the truth.

This debate is to be taken seriously rather than just posting sources about the definition of lies.

My contender also states that hiding a truth is basically lying in a different manner.

Lying is all about falsehood and providing false FACT.
Hiding the truth doesn't change anything. It doesn't provide any false fact, or change anyone's perspective.

Please take this debate seriously.
Some_Confused_Kid

Con

I will rebutting on my opponents recent argument he posted
"My contender just posted out sources defining the meaning of a lie" I put up those sources and different dictionaries to show my opponent that no matter what dictionary the word is it will have the same meaning.

"which is completely not what I was looking for a debate" My main argument is that the text book definition of lying is the same in hiding the truth.

"I was expecting more of examples or scenarios and explain how it affects the perspective if the person" My main argument is not in the perspective but rather what the dictionary says to prove my point.

"This debate is to be taken seriously rather than just posting sources about the definition of lies" I am taking this debate seriously,again I posted those sources to show you the text book definition.

"Lying is all about falsehood and providing a false fact". Lying is all about falsehood and providing a false statement that is true,but why should hiding the truth be the same, you are providing a false statement to protect the "truth" your hiding from the person.

"Hiding the truth doesn't change anything. It doesn't provide any false fact, or change anyone's perspective." Hiding the truth does change things. You have to give out a false information to hide the truth. That is lying. If the person believes in your false statement you provided to protect the truth then you are changing his perspective and someones perspective is your main argument.

"Please take this debate seriously" I have been taking this debate seriously
brainFreeze

Pro

Lie is an intent of persuading others and misdirecting someone to believe something else. However, hiding the truth is basically not bringing the real truth to the surface and making sure it stays HIDDEN (Completely unaware in the eyes of the victim).
Yes, I know you put up those sources of their definition and I very well know what a "Lie" means.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your 1st rebuttal was:
"I put up those sources and different dictionaries to show my opponent that no matter what dictionary the word is it will have the same meaning."

I am assuming that your picture of lie is pretty black and white by that statement. If I am not telling the truth, it means I am lying no matter what, be it hiding or manipulating.
Lying depends on it's integrity of manipulation. However, hiding is simply hiding. There is no manipulation required in hiding anything.
For example: Hiding a secret is hiding and making sure no one knows of it. However, backstabbing on someone's secret or trust is lying.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your 2nd rebuttal:
"My main argument is not in the perspective but rather what the dictionary says to prove my point."

Like I said before, anyone who reads this knows the definition of lies and providing dictionary sources to prove your point will not be helpful. This debate serves a purpose of clearing the mind with doubts, whether hiding the truth is really different from lying. You said that your argument is not about perspective, But doesn't the whole Concept of Lying has to do with PERSPECTIVES?
You simply can't rely on dictionary sources to prove you point. Moreover, when it's a word that the whole world is familiar with. :/
Especially in a debate, you cannot go black and white with what a dictionary says sometimes, this is why we have debates.
Moreover, one of the most important aspects of a debate is to provide examples or scenarios to support your statement that a reader can relate to and make it easier for him to judge your statements.

You 3rd rebuttal:
"Lying is all about falsehood and providing a false statement that is true,but why should hiding the truth be the same, you are providing a false statement to protect the "truth" your hiding from the person."

In order to explain this to you, let me give you a scenario:
There's a couple and their names are A (husband), and B (wife). Let's just say B is going through a lot of work stress. She looks very distressed and needs to rest. This work stress has been going on for a month for B and she is clearly not handling the pressure very well which is eating her up.
However, the husband receives a call saying that one of her loving family members has passed away. But looking at her stress level, he decides to share this information when the time is right.
He is clearly hiding the truth from her, but at the same time also protecting her and because her wife doesn't know it yet, he does not have to provide her with any false statement because she is simply unaware of that situation.
Therefore "He is NOT providing a FALSE statement, to protect the truth. He is simply hiding the whole situation from her."

So you see hiding the truth doesn't necessarily involve telling lies to hide the truth only when the person is completely unaware of the situation.

Your 4th rebuttal:
Hiding the truth does change things. You have to give out a false information to hide the truth. That is lying. If the person believes in your false statement you provided to protect the truth then you are changing his perspective and someones perspective is your main argument.

Again, Imagine a bar with perspective in the middle of the bar. Lying and manipulating makes the bar (or perspective) go left on that line, but hiding the truth does not effect a bar. It keeps the bar straight (Imagine a see-saw).

And just like the scenario I provided on the last rebuttal, it clears this argument too.

In my point of view,

Lying is a process of manipulating people's mind and telling them something that goes AGAINST the fact.
Hiding the truth is a process of keeping the truth hidden and making sure that it does not float to the surface which is not necessarily going AGAINST the fact but also not STATING the fact (In some scenarios).
Some_Confused_Kid

Con

I want to apologize to my opponent if I did anything that might have made him mad.I will be rebuttal my opponent on the scenario he has put up

"Lying depends on it's integrity of manipulation. However, hiding is simply hiding. There is no manipulation required in hiding anything". Yes unfortunately there is manipulation required in hiding something.You dont even need to say anything to be considered lying. I will be using your example.

"There's a couple and their names are A (husband), and B (wife). Let's just say B is going through a lot of work stress. She looks very distressed and needs to rest. This work stress has been going on for a month for B and she is clearly not handling the pressure very well which is eating her up.

We gotta think of this woman perspective until the husband is ready to provide that her family member has died she will think that her family member is still alive. The husband therefore is manipulating her without saying anything that she thinks one of her family member is still alive even though the husband knows the family member has passed away. I will also continue.

While the husband learns the ordeal he will make his wife happy by acting normal or using normal facial expressions.Again he is manipulating her into thinking that the family member is still alive without saying a single word. You dont need to say anything to manipulate someones.
Posted by brainFreeze 1 month ago
brainFreeze
No I am not mad, I just wanted to emphasize on some words by Capitalizing it because that's one way I do it, so sorry to give you a wrong impression there.

What you said is true that you don't need to say anything to manipulate the truth.

But doesn't that make "Hidden truth" different from "lying"?. I think you proved my point.

So according to your statement, hiding a truth is basically like a concealed manipulation without giving perspectives, but lying is more of speaking out loud and manipulating.

That itself is a difference.

You proved my point there.