Superboy777
TheLastLightEver

High School Varsity Sports should be eliminated

TheLastLightEver
Started: 10/18/2010 Category: Sports

Superboy777

Con

High school varsity sports promote teamwork and cooperation at a higher level than regular sports. Most professional athletes in the world come from a varsity team at some point. Are we to deny them this chance?
TheLastLightEver

Pro

First, I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. Although I find this kind of argument to be inherently biased toward Con, I will try my best to 1) persuade voters that not all "high school varsity sports promote teamwork and cooperation at a higher level than regular sports." I will also try to 2) defeat my opponents claim that there is a correlation between participating in varsity sports at some point in ones high school career and becoming a professional athlete.

1) Not all high school varsity sports promote teamwork and cooperation at a higher lever than regular sports.
1a) "Not all high school varsity sports promote teamwork and cooperation" -- Wrestling is a high school varsity sport in which an individual bouts another individual of a similar weight class by using locks, holds, pins, take downs, and throws to help submit the other competitor on the wrestling mat. There is no point in any match where a teammate is allowed to assist or interfere with the individuals who are wrestling. Thus, each wrestler operates alone while he or she is wrestling in the match. The only way teamwork would be applied to wrestling would be to combine the statistics of each individual effort on the team, but even then its just combining data, the statisticians don't contribute to "teamwork" anyway. Golf can be explained in the same way with the exception of scrabble matches, where teams shoot from the same spot and keep the best score at the end of each hole. Tennis, with the exception of doubles matches, is also set up in the same manner. Swimming, minus relay teams, is done without the assistance of a teammate. Bowling is done by one person per frame, and again, only the combination of the final scores creates the illusion of teamwork.
This concludes my point that "not all high school sports promote teamwork and cooperation".
1b) There are some sports that do include teamwork in the traditional form. Some of these high school varsity sports are baseball, basketball, football, lacrosse, ice hockey, and soccer. So I would like to rephrase the previous statement to read: "Of the high school varsity sports that promote teamwork and cooperation, they do so at a higher level than regular sport." I would like to contend this by saying first that you weren't specific in defining what a "regular sport" is, so I have to assume that it is something similar to what you would find in a high school varsity sport, but without the high school players. To me, this resembles a travel team that is for kids of the same age groups as high school students, but is associated with the city or some other organization that is not a high school. I have to reason to believe that outside of each coaches subjective teaching style, that there are any advantages to playing at a high school that would offer a higher level of teamwork and cooperation other than what is inherently offered in each respective.I would like to invite Con to bear the burden of proof to help support his statement there.

2) "Most professional athletes in the world come from a varsity team at some point." That is to say there is a correlation between participating in varsity sports at some point in ones high school career and becoming a professional athlete. -- This would suggest that by playing high school varsity sports, athletes are more likely to qualify for the professional league of their sport. I would disagree by saying that the chances of making it into any professional sport is very slim. Also, for every person who plays a high school sport and makes it into the professional league of their sport, there are thousands of kids who go through the same varsity sports, at the same schools, all across the country, that do not make their respective professional leagues. It is just pure numbers that support Con's argument. There are more kids attend high school than kids who do not attend high school all across the country. So by pure chance, there are going to be more professional athletes that attended high school than those who did not attend high school.
Superboy777

Con

My opponent mentions that only a very small fraction of people on varsity teams actually pursue athletics in their life. It may be a small percentage, but they are still people nonetheless. By eliminating high school varsity sports we are denying this group of people the chance to even participate in a more competitive environment with other people of similar skill levels. Why is it that we should eliminate this environment where everyone benefits and improves?
TheLastLightEver

Pro

My opponent has shown that he does not disagree in what I have said about the small fraction of people who played high school sports who play professional sports.
However, my opponent brings up a new point that I will need to address. This point is that "by eliminating high school varsity sports, we are denying this group of people (the less than 1% of people who make professional sports leagues) the chance to even participate in a more competitive environment with other people of similar skill levels."
As I stated earlier, there are other leagues outside of the high school varsity teams that compete at high school varsity levels. Travel teams, and public city leagues offer very competitive leagues and can lead a player to gain the skills and fundamentals necessary to play in the professional sport of their choosing. Of course, it is up to the individual player whether or not he will practice or be disciplined out side of the sport. Which brings me to my next point.
I feel that personal discipline, training, and practice outside of the games and practices that varsity sports offer, make each athlete talented enough to enter their professional sport. Suppose a player decides not to play in high school, but practices at home and decides to go out for his college team, in order to further pursue a professional career. High school is not a necessary component in making a professional player. A small point that I would like to make is the story of Michael Jordan's high school career. "Jordan loved sports but failed to make his high school basketball team as a sophomore. He continued to practice and made the team the next year." (1) A player with the natural talent and love for the game can still drive himself to a professional career outside the parameters of a varsity sport.

I have shown that high school varsity sports are not necessary for entry into the field of professional sports, that most high school players do not make it to a professional level, and that not all varsity sports promote teamwork and cooperation as stated in my opponents opening argument.

Now to answer the big question: Should we eliminate all varsity sports?
I feel that this is a loaded question, because high school sports don't have any outright negative effects on kids. It contains sportsmanship, competition, and builds athleticism in students. Although I have shown that it is unnecessary under the contexts of Con's argument, I have to address "why" we should eliminate varsity sports. As Pro, I have to say that we could offer better alternatives than what varsity sports offer to kids of the same age. I will make a few small points here:
A) Not all athletes attend high school. For the athletes that do attend high school, they do not get the chance to play those kids who did not attend high school. Therefore, we should replace varsity sports with a league that everyone can try out for in the city, and offer different levels of competition for different caliber athletes.
B) Varsity sports generally entail more spending, to pay for the coaches, assistant coaches, equipment, jerseys and so on. This is often paid for by asking for handouts, fundraisers, and donations by alumni of the school.
C) Families who are involved in select teams or travel teams do spend a great deal of time together. The result is often closer bonds between family members. The higher level of competition means that the skills of the athletes also improve. For talented young athletes, participation in a select team can be a stepping stone to a spot on a college team or even a pro tryout. (2)
D) Travel teams often get a wider range of talented teams from other divisions because they are not restricted to the district or the other local high school teams.

(1) http://www.notablebiographies.com...
(2) http://grandparents.about.com...
Superboy777

Con

Varsity sports provide an environment that parents and other people trust. Students can be role models if tehy can do well in the sports. PS HI james and alan. No help given to u guys lol.
TheLastLightEver

Pro

I do not appreciate Con's lack of seriousness in this debate and would like to make my final statements. My opponent has not refuted any of my points, nor has he provided any support or examples for his arguments. He used no references to support his points, and only used vague statements to explain his reasoning. Also, my opponent started this biased argument and took the side of Con, which is inherently the side that is favored. I feel that taking up a challenge is a part of a good debater, so took this debate, hoping for a challenge, but what my opponent has set up is nothing more than a high school athlete, trying to be right about high school sports. As weak as this debate was, I tried my best to convince you, the voters, that my opponents arguments were poorly constructed and supported. I have shown that 1) not every varsity sport promotes teamwork and cooperation, 2) of those sports that do promote teamwork and cooperation, they do not do so at a higher level than travel teams. I have also shown that 3) although many sports athletes did participate in high school varsity sports, only a very small percent of varsity athletes make it into professional sports. This means that high school varsity sports do not help all athletes, and that only a very select few who have natural talent and work hard by training and practicing have a chance of making it into the professional sport of their liking. It is not based on whether or not they played varsity sport in high school. 4) Also, if high school sports were eliminated there would still be plenty of opportunities (such as travel teams and city teams) for students in high school to participate in the sport of their choosing, to help develop their skills for the collegiate level or professional levels. Therefore, varsity sports are not necessary to exist in a high school parameter.

Thank you all for your time, and I hope that just because Con has set up what seems to be a trap, you will honor my efforts to make a good debate out of something that normally wouldn't be debated, even though the integrity of the website was checked by my opponent even creating this debate. I am new to this website and hope that it remains a place for intelligent people to discuss important and controversial topics, and not a place where debaters friends will blindly vote for their friends instead of the person who had better conduct and reasoning in his or her debates.
Posted by Superboy777 4 years ago
Superboy777
just varsity
Posted by TheLastLightEver 4 years ago
TheLastLightEver
which sports?

i might take this one
Posted by sammyc96 4 years ago
sammyc96
of course they shouldn't be eliminated why would anybody think otherwise
Posted by Superboy777 4 years ago
Superboy777
lol
Vote Placed by MichaelT 4 years ago
MichaelT
Superboy777TheLastLightEverTied
Vote Placed by ZzzoBored 4 years ago
ZzzoBored
Superboy777TheLastLightEverTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 4 years ago
rougeagent21
Superboy777TheLastLightEverTied
Vote Placed by Zilla2112 4 years ago
Zilla2112
Superboy777TheLastLightEverTied