zach12
Bboo

High Schools are not adequately preparing students for post-secondary education

zach12

Pro

Schools are not adequately preparing students for post-secondary education because they employ unqualified teachers and rely much too heavily on a credits system.
I will begin using my high school as an example. My Geography teacher has no background in Geography and is only "qualified" by the state to teach freshmen geography. How he is "qualified" to do this is beyond me. He regularly mispronounces words in class. He calls arable land ariable land and lingua franca Linguna Franca (don't know where the "n" came from). You may say pronunciations matter little and it's more important to actually know what they mean and their relation to the rest of the subject. You may be correct in saying this, but my teacher says ariable like it's the gospel truth and has no idea he's said it incorrectly, showing that he has never, or rarely heard the word by another human being. So why is he teaching it?
He was challenged to take the Africa political geography test on lizardpoint.com and openly stated "If I took this test I couldn't get them all, maybe half."

So why in the world is he teaching this? If he doesn't know his own material, our learning from him will be completely skewed and we will look like idiots if we ever say the word ariable to any knowledgeable person.

Another example comes from my World Literature and Composition teacher. The class is reading The Story of Roland and the word "martyrdom" pops up. She obviously has no idea and pronounces it matridom and says to the class that it means a persons honor.

My geometry teacher talked about a section in our Geometry book. "We're not going to do this section because I don't quite understand it"

Why is my school filled with unqualified teachers? I will never know. What I do know is that my class is below the national average by a considerable margin and I feel sorry for my classmates.

Now I'm going to talk about the credits system and its flaws. When I was in eighth grade I took an exam to test out of taking Word Processing in High School. I passed it but yet I receive no credit for it. The only benefit is that I don't have to take it. However I get no credit for it and have to compensate by taking another elective. Why is my school stressing going to class instead of actual learning?
Bboo

Con

I would first like to begin saying that I am against the resolution that states, High Schools are not adequately preparing students for post-secondary education.

My opponent said that his teachers don't understand what they are teaching. I would like to point out that this debate isn't about if the teaches understand what they are doing. This debate is about if the school systems can prepare students for post-secondary education. Which is saying if high school is getting them ready for college or not.

On my opponent's next point about the credits system and its flaws. Some schools are flawed, yes I will agree with that, but we are not just looking at that one school, we are looking over the majority of schools. He may not of got the credits because he wasn't in high school yet. But I am not sure of his schools rules and polices.

Now I would like to post some of my own points.

My first point is responsibility.
High school teaches students about responsibility. Like if a student wants to be in a sport, he/she must have the grades to participate in that activity. So if you want to be good in a post-secondary school, you need to learn responsibility.

My second point is knowledge.
High school students learn information during classes. So if you are learning, you gain knowledge. With knowledge, you can comprehend more information in your post-secondary school.

Those were some of the reasons I am against the resolution, and I urge you to vote con. Thank you
zach12

Pro

My opponent began his points by stating that High Schools teach students responsibility. I disagree. High Schools contain far too many students who get by because they cheat and give minimal effort, and in turn have minimal understanding. The average to below average student has choice to make. Should they cheat to pass the class so they can play sports? Or should they put in effort and actually understand? Most students pick the former.

And what really gets me is that the very way we structure education in the United States allows those students to cheat. Kids regularly cheat off someone near them and either the teacher doesn't know or is too lazy or uncaring to do anything about it.

Which leads to my next point; once you take a test over something, that's it. Students cram for a test and once it's over they rapidly forget everything they had memorized.This leaves them lost in chapters to follow until they drop the class, drop out of school, or turn to cheating.

My next point is that, in public schools at least, there is almost no preparation the things required of a person in college until their senior year or not at all. I recently took two Western Civilization classes at a Community College in the area during the first trimester of my freshmen year. I was astounded at the difference. I was much more content the college environment which stresses critical thinking and reasoning and doesn't coddle students along at an agonizingly slow pace.

My experience showed me how inadequate my high school was. I had never been required to write anything over a single page long. Suddenly, in college, I was expected to write two ten-page long papers. It was a shock, I had been completely unprepared for this low-level college class. The point is that college is a lot harder than high school, and they don't prepare us adequately.

I look forward to my opponent's argument and i urge you to vote pro. Thanks for reading
Bboo

Con

My opponent began by attack my point about responsibility. I would like to say that teachers are cracking down on kids for cheating. For example my teacher in physical science gives a different for version of the test to everybody, so only like 3 or so people have the same test in a class of 20 or so. Also, those kids that choose to cheat, how many actually get to college? Common sense says not very many.

Now to my opponents next point; once you take a test over something, that's it. I strongly disagree with that statement. For example, in my 2 trimester Spanish 1 class, we are using information we tested over on the first week of 1 trimester Spanish 1. In many classes you have to understand what you are doing in a previous chapter to understand what is going to happen in future chapters.

I would again like to attack another one of my opponents points. His point; in public school at least, there is almost no preparation the things required of a person in college until their senior year or not at all. I disagree. As freshmen, we are already learning how to write full length reports. If you are not challenged in any of your classes, you should take more challenging classes then.

I would like to point out that I have attacked all my opponents points while he has only attacked one of mine. Please for con and thanks for reading.
zach12

Pro

I would like to begin by attacking my opponent's statements about responsibility. He claims that teachers are cracking down on cheaters in his school, which may very well be true. But then he says, and I quote "Also, those kids that choose to cheat, how many actually get to college? Common sense says not very many." This proves my point exactly. High Schools are causing students to feel a need to cheat and this disadvantages them in their future.

And my opponents second statement. He says that once you take a test over something, you will need it for future lessons. He is again agreeing with me and it is why I said "Students cram for a test and once it's over they rapidly forget everything they had memorized. This leaves them lost in chapters to follow until they drop the class, drop out of school, or turn to cheating." How is this preparing students for College?

Also, I would like to respond to my opponents comment that I should take more advanced classes. I am taking the most advanced classes available to freshmen at my school and I am still frustratingly unchallenged. This proves that High Schools fall short when it comes to teaching advanced students. As my grandfather says "No child left behind might have well have been ‘no child brought ahead'"

Thanks. Vote pro
Bboo

Con

First of all I would like to thank my opponent for giving me a great debate.
Next I will defend my points. He said, and I quote, "High Schools are causing students to feel a need to cheat and this disadvantages them in their future." Yes, cheating my not help them, but when the realize that they should understand when they don't cheat, they will learn, which will get them into a better post-secondary education, which will give them a better paying job.

I would like to know how I am agreeing with him in his previous argument, " He says that once you take a test over something, you will need it for future lessons. He is again agreeing with me and it is why I said "Students cram for a test and once it's over they rapidly forget everything they had memorized. This leaves them lost in chapters to follow until they drop the class, drop out of school, or turn to cheating."

Also ok maybe you are taking the most advanced classes, but this debate isn't about if we are challenged in school, it is about if high school can prepare students for post-secondary education.

Once again I would like to point out the my opponent has only attacked 2 of my points. I urge you to vote con. Thanks for reading.
Posted by Ragaxus 8 years ago
Ragaxus
Bboo: More eloquence, please. You have a habit of using choppy sentences that doesn't particularly appeal to me.
Posted by sadolite 8 years ago
sadolite
All one needs to know for the future is this: Reduce,reuse and recycle, the 3 r's. The govt will now take care of you from cradle to grave. Independent thought and self reliance are now politically incorrect concepts and should be refrained from.
Posted by SquareOne 8 years ago
SquareOne
I agree but my opinion on of the problem is different. You are making the assumption that teachers should have a vastly in depth knowledge of their subject. This is not necessary. What is more important is that they know how to teach.
I am lectured by doctors at university (college) and they could answer almost any question put to them. But every student in the lecture not only struggles to maintain concentration, but struggles to make sense out of what the doc is on about.
What I'm saying is that if a teacher prepares a lesson with the intention of teaching their student/s set information and succeeds, then they are a good teacher. A massive body of information is not necessary to achieve this, especially in this day and age - with the www and all.
Vote Placed by saamanthagrl 7 years ago
saamanthagrl
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by TheSexicanMexican 8 years ago
TheSexicanMexican
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by EugeneZ 8 years ago
EugeneZ
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by stormchaser221 8 years ago
stormchaser221
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by jimjamesalex 8 years ago
jimjamesalex
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by ac1125 8 years ago
ac1125
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
zach12BbooTied
Vote Placed by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
zach12BbooTied