Lucia12
BuleFirePhonix

High schools should have lectures

Started: 2/24/2015 Category: Technology

Lucia12

Pro

(With the exception on PE, experiments, art, music and any sort of practical work). If we had a system like this then it would better prepare students for university. It would be a much simpler system, which would benefit students and teachers.
In the lecture lessons we just take notes, if you miss the lesson then you copy notes from someone else. Homework from that lesson will just be to revise your notes. Next lesson you get a worksheet on the previous lecture to put your ideas into action. To catch up you find the teacher, get the work sheet and complete it. The homework will be to finish the worksheet.
This method might be hard for some students, but if you want a degree and a good job, you need to know how to do this. It is better to start preparations early.
I am a student and I think this would be an easier more structured way to learn because everyone will know what to do to catch up and for homework every lesson. This will save the teacher time explaining it and give us more learning time. Therefore better results and brighter minds.
BuleFirePhonix

Con

There are also some downs with that sort of idea. Not always can people get the notes from their partner's etc...etc. There are a lot of people nowadays with horrendous handwriting. (such as myself) And will not be able to take down the notes. And what if someone possibly has work and will have no time to be able to take down any notes they have missed. I do suggest that notes if someone could be typed and printed for the student that needs them. Also not always can things be discussed by a lecture. So it's a bad idea to have lectures as most of the class period. And alongside the fact that classes are supposed to prepare you for the real world where you will have to do things with other people. Yes, getting notes is one of them but group things will be harder to do without the social skills.
Lucia12

Pro

Students should be allowed to type up notes because typing is most often faster, then they email or print out a copy for their friends if they missed class. If they don't ave time to catch up, the ways schools are run now wouldn't make any difference. They would get the social skills because in the worksheet lessons they will discuss their responses and ideas. There will also be science practicals and some demonstrations or video clips if needed. In PE, art, technology and drama this won't happen because the whole lesson is basically a practical. The student will also gain social skills in these lessons
BuleFirePhonix

Con

I understand that students should be able to type their notes. But then again, the responsibility and time depends on the person. Because not always is the person gonna be able to do that. Nor do people want to take notes again via computer. Because at my high school, we do not use electronics to take notes. We take them by hand. It is just more sufficient if it wasn't always based around a lecture.
Lucia12

Pro

Lucia12 forfeited this round.
BuleFirePhonix

Con

I hope my opponent does not forfeit this next round
Lucia12

Pro

Lucia12 forfeited this round.
BuleFirePhonix

Con

BuleFirePhonix forfeited this round.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
I would assume that lectures are a part of all high schools.