Marowak16
Ariesz

High speed internet porn should be banned

Marowak16

Pro

"Pornography should be banned"
Well, what's wrong with pornography? Why should we ban something that makes us feel good? Well, here's why:

To start off, I want to make clear I am only talking about pornography here and not masturbation. Getting an A+ for a test you've been working on makes you feel good. Getting a job promotion you've been working on your entire life, makes you feel great! But also meeting a girl, sharing love and evenutually have sex makes you feel good. See, all the things decribed above are rewards that require time and effort. But what if you could get your job promotion or your A+ by simply clicking a button, would you still put time and effort in it, or would you click the button? Well, with sex this is possible:

The human brain doesn't know the difference between pixels and real women, so getting the job done behind your computer gives the same dopamine kick as sex does. On average, children do their firs porn search from the age of 12 and there are almost no men who don't watch porn. Porn tube site make it possible for people to click and click and click to keep their dopamine rush high thinking they are not harming themselves but they are.

There is an entire online community called "nofap" whith people who have decided to give up porn and masturbation for a while after noticing some negative influences they thought were porn induced. (most were addicts) These were the results of some successful rebooters:

-More motivation to meet girls
-Not looking at girls in a sexual way
-More vitality
-More joy in life
-More confidence
-Started noticing real girls more
-Porn induced fetishes disappeared
-Sex is more exciting

Many of these rebooters also reported some porn-induced sexual dysfunctions, formed by brain changes which were reversed after they gave up porn. People reported not being able to get or keep an erection with real girls or fantasies (which rules out performance anxiety), but had no erection problems when looking at porn. It was also very common for these people to never wake up with morning erections,but after abstaining from porn also these came back.

This clearly shows that porn in definitely creating brain changes right now, and is destroying young men's sexual performance. Many teenagers are addicted to porn before they even had any sexual experience.

Conclusion: High speed internet porn should be banned because it is endless and very easy to access, making very young children already addicted to this concept wile not knowing it defnitely shapes the brain in way that is harmful when it comes to real sex when they're 17 years old.

For more information on these Nofap-rebooters, check the following links:

Rebootnation.org
reddit.com/r/nofap
yourbrainonporn.com
Ariesz

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate. I will be arguing that there are many added benefits to watching pornography that many people miscount. I will than argue how banning pornography is equivalent to banning any other medium that produces entertainment.

Pornography's Benefits:
I am sure that my opponent can agree with me on the view that rape should be illegal. I am sure my opponent would agree with me that a decrease in rape is a step in the right direction. Scientists have conducted studies on rapists, and how much porn they watch compared o a normal male. It found that "rapists were more likely than nonrapists in the prison population to have been punished for looking at pornography while a youngster, while other research has shown that incarcerated nonrapists had seen more pornography, and seen it at an earlier age, than rapists. What does correlate highly with sex offense is a strict, repressive religious upbringing.". Empirical evidence shows that men that are more likely to rape watch less porn. This research proves that porn can make a significant impact on decreasing rape.
"An academic has claimed to RAW STORY that a decline in reported rape of 85% in the past 25 years can be tied to an increase in pornography consumption. In a study for Northwestern University's Public Law and Legal Theory Research Paper Series titled "Porn Up Rape Down," Anthony D'Amato, a Leighton Professor of Law at Northwestern University, argues that the proliferation of pornography has lead to a sharp decline in rape across the United States.
According to a 2005 National Crime Victimization Survey, the national rate of rape decreased from 2.5 to 0.5 for every thousand people over a 30-year span from 1973 to 2003. The explanations offered include less lawlessness associated with crack cocaine, women being taught to avoid unsafe situations, that more potential rapists are already in prison for other crimes, and sex education classes telling boys that "no means no.""

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Research also indicates that men are more likely to be social with women, and not judge women just based on their looks. This research counters the claims that my opponent made in his case. Pro would want you to believe that one must take their time and effort into acquiring a girlfriend. This research indicates that men are actually more likely to develop relationships with women, because they watch porn:
"Studies of men who had seen X-rated movies found that they were significantly more tolerant and accepting of women than those men who didn"t see those movies, and studies by other investigators"female as well as male"essentially found similarly that there was no detectable relationship between the amount of exposure to pornography and any measure of misogynist attitudes."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that I have given sufficient evidence that proves that pornography has significant benefits that are more positive than they are negative. Now, I will give my own analytical problems with porn being banned.
I will first give statistics on how many people watch porn.
-Men are 543% more likely to look at porn than females.
-Those who are politically more liberal are 19% more likely to look at porn.
-Those who are happily married are 61% less likely to look at porn.
-Those with teen children at home are 45% less likely to look at porn.
-Regular church attenders are 26% less likely to look at porn than non-attenders, but those self-identified as "fundamentalists" are 91% more likely to look at porn
-68% have admitted to watching porn in the last week.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Porn is entertainment. My opponent cannot deny that a large majority of our population watches porn. Not only are there positive benefits to watching porn, but porn is a right in a free society. If we all agree to the logic of my opponent, than the government can ban anything that is entertainment that the government deems filthy or a waste of time. The government can ban video games, because video games are a waste of time. The government can ban movies, because movies are a waste of time. The government can ban TV shows they deem unacceptable, because it is a waste of time. One can think about how many activities they do that separates them from living the ideal life. But, that does not mean those activities should be banned.

http://rawstory.com...
http://www.covenanteyes.com...
http://www.the-scientist.com...-/
Marowak16

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and arguing on the behalf of people who disagree with the statement. I would also like to point out that as a Dutch guy, my use of English is not 100% accurate, but I will try to do the best I can.

A decrease in rape would definetely be a step in the right direction, but I don't think promoting porn is going to help. Gail Dines, a anti-pornography activist, interviewed several men in prison who had committed rape against children. It turned out that the rapes occured after habitual consumption of child porn although the men were horrified at the idea at first. Something that is very common for porn-addicts is to escalate to more and more extreme porn. They first watch pictures of hot babes, than they escalate to video's of soft-core porn, and when that doesn't do the trick anymore, they escalate to more and more extreme types of porn (hardcore, rape etc) to get that same dopamine rush going. This procedure is very typical for rebooters (people who give up porn to reverse damage) within the nofap-community. The escalation of porn tastes influences sexual expectation with real partners, and it promotes rape as well. I would also like to point out that I really appreciate con's presentation of the many sources he uses to support his argument with, but he has to keep in mind that we are talking about high speed internet porn here: tubesites, easy access, mulitple tabs open, no ending, something that has only been out there and causing problems for the last 10 years. The data con uses to support his argument are not very relevant regarding this topic as the most relevant survey was conducted in 2005.

One of the many benefits Nofappers point out is that they don't objectify women as much anymore as they did when they still watched porn. And as someone who is participating in this nofap-experiment myself, I can confirm this. It is just after abstaining from porn for a couple of months that I am noticing girls more in a much more non-sexual way and actually feel like dating them because of who they are as a person and not their body. They also report being more motivated and confident to ask girls out on dates. Here is a 21-year old guy who for the first time found the confidence to ask out a girl after giving up porn: "I'm sure my story is pretty similar to many here, 21 years old and never had a girlfriend. Nofap has really helped me on my route to being a better me, I've learned to put long term happiness above short term pleasure. """ Even when the opportunity was right in front of my face (a very attractive girl for some reason deciding to start throwing very strong signals toward me) I never was able to muster up the courage to do anything.
This has all changed, since starting nofap off and on a couple months ago (and finding faith in god, but that's another discussion) I have gained the courage to actually talk to girls, even the ones I have feelings for."
The reason why I want you to believe one must take their time and effort into acquiring a girlfriend is because well, it's true. Instead of opening up your laptop and look at pixels, why not trying to actually call that girl you like and maybe something beautiful will grow from there. Porn demotivates individuals to take this action.

"My oppnonet cannot deny that a large majority of our population watches porn." This right there, is the reason for starting this debate. I have been a heavy porn user myself and unlike many have actually found my reasons to quit (which was not easy) and I am noticing some magical results. The problem with porn is that so many people watch it. This makes it really hard to identify problems that come with it. Asking high school pupils if porn is affecting them in a negative way, is like asking a fish what it thinks about water. Con compares porn to movies and TV shows, although I think they shouldn't be put next to one another as tv shows and movies don't replace anything: they are additions to people's daily persuits. Porn however, replaces sexual stimulation with real life partners creating issues when it comes to real life sex. Porn is the new tobacco: 50 years ago it was very normal to smoke but now we all see the dangers.

http://gaildines.com...
https://www.reddit.com...
http://www.rebootnation.org...;
My own observations as an ex-porn user :-)
Ariesz

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for the quick response. I will like to add an argument that I did not address in the last round. Than I will move on to the rebutting my opponent's case.
-----------------------------------------------
I would like to ask a few questions that my opponent should address.
How are you going to ban porn? Will you allow the government to block porn sites? How far are you willing to go to block porn? Will you ban the use of searching up images of a female?
What punishment will users face if they bypass said laws? We all know that there will be hackers and websites that will program their porn sites to block government oversight. What is the punishment for that group of people? Will the user that is watching porn face any punishment? Will the porn stars receive any punishment?
I know that these are a lot of questions to answer, but they are essential for this debate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rebuttal:
"More motivation to meet girls
-Not looking at girls in a sexual way
-More vitality
-More joy in life
-More confidence
-Started noticing real girls more
-Porn induced fetishes disappeared
-Sex is more exciting"
My opponent uses the motivation argument for why one must not use porn. The problem with this argument is that my opponent offers no evidence to back this claim up. He speaks from personal experience that ending his viewings of porn helped him reach these goals. But, this is personal experience. His personal experience is different from other personal experiences. Everyone is different. I can speak from personal experience too. Whenever I feel the need to watch porn, I watch porn. I don't care. I just need to relieve myself. I wouldn't call it an addiction. I would call myself a perfectly normal individual. I am comfortable with talking to girls, and porn has not interfered with me dating. I have dated, and I have watched porn. The girlfriends that I had were perfectly okay with this. Everyone has a sex drive. But, that is the problem. Both personal experiences are completely different. My opponent, and I have clearly different sex drives, and different interactions with porn. Personal experiences should not count for this debate. Scientific research and empirical evidence should count.
My other argument is that my opponent has not proved that the average individual will suffer from porn addiction. My opponent must define what porn addiction is. In fact, the empirical evidence that I cited previously showed the exact opposite. Rapists are far more likely to have been punished for watching porn, than non-rapists. Rape has declined in the modern era, because of the increase of porn.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defense:
"Gail Dines, a anti-pornography activist, interviewed several men in prison who had committed rape against children."
Child porn is very different. I do not support any viewings of child porn. But, that porn should not even be posted. The people that are making those videos should be punished. Child molestation is a crime. I hope we are both talking about porn as an act between consenting adults. One cannot compare the average porn viewer to a child molester.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"One of the many benefits Nofappers point out is that they don't objectify women as much anymore as they did when they still watched porn."
Again, this is just from either the no fapping community, or just personal experiences. Your personal experiences and benefits are likely not to benefit someone like me. Above 80% of people in the western world admit to watching porn almost every month. A majority of people in each country watch porn. Each person is exposed to different benefits and different harms. Banning porn for everybody is authoritarian. If governments are allowed to block website, than what stops them from banning websites that show vulgar language. What stops governments from banning R-rated movies? What stops government from banning video games they feel is inappropriate. Once you allow governments to be able to censor websites, than you have opened a gateway for more sources of entertainment to be blocked, because some beurocrat believed that there was a problem.
-------------------------------
I appreciate my opponent's response. I know that there are some people addicted to porn, and have problems with it. I know that there are some people that benefit from getting off of porn. But, everyone is different. The benefits that I receive from porn might completely be outweighed by the harms that my opponent received from porn. It is the same with video games. I know some people that are addicted to video games, and have basically stopped caring about there real lives. But, that does not bean we should ban video games just because there are people that suffer from it.
Marowak16

Pro

Marowak16 forfeited this round.
Ariesz

Con

Extend all points.
Posted by jamccartney 9 months ago
jamccartney
This is America. If you want to ban something like this, you're fascist and don't believe in freedoms. The founding fathers fought a revolution so that you could watch porn with high-speed internet without interference from the state.
Posted by Marowak16 9 months ago
Marowak16
Try again :)
Posted by Ariesz 9 months ago
Ariesz
I don't match the criteria, but I would love to do the debate.