Abdab
Defro

Highschool students would benefit from a longer weekend.

Defro

Abdab

Pro

To clarify: High school students would benefit from 4 days in school and 3 days out. Thus meaning a longer time in school overall, but a shorter time in school week-to-week.
Defro

Con

Pro's resolution is a syllogism:
1. High school students would benefit from 4 days in school and 3 days out.
2.
At the same time, they get longer time in school overall, but a shorter time in school week-to-week, implying that school hours are longer, but there are less school days.

-Pro has not specified any countries, so I assume Pro is arguing for every High School in the world.
-Burden of proof is on Pro to defend her resolution, which must account for every high school student in the world.

*I give the floor back to Pro.
Abdab

Pro

Firstly I would like to thank Defro for accepting my debate. I would like to also clear a few things up.
I am mainly talking about schools in the UK, as that is where I studied in high school and am currently studying in college, though I suppose it could be applied to schools all over the world in theory.
Also, when I said they get a longer time in school overall, but a shorter time week-to-week I did not mean longer school hours. I meant, as they would have a Friday or Monday off of school to make up a 3 day weekend, they will have to make this up later on, meaning there are 52 days they are missing, and will have to attend school 52 days longer than they currently do, essentially adding another term to school time.

My first argument is that an extra day off will benefit children both socially and economically. In theory, if Friday's were allowed off, high school students could spend this time socialising with friends, freeing up their Saturday which could be used to work. In the UK you can take on a Saturday job from the age of 13 [1]. You start high school at the age of 11 or 12 depending on birthdays. You can only take on a full time job at high school leaving age which is around 16 or 17, once again birthdays come in to this.

Another reason an extra day at the weekend would be useful is that if exams are nearing, children will have more time to revise, or more time to relax depending on what they choose to do. Many children prefer to revise at home instead of at school. Children may also have more time to spend with their family, creating closer bonds.

I would appreciate it if in this round Con made his first arguments, rebuttals and more arguments in round 3 and then final rebuttals in round 4 with conclusions. If you prefer something else I don't mind.

[1] https://www.gov.uk...
Defro

Con

*Disclaimer(s):

-Pro has explained that she will be focusing on the UK alone. I deny this clarification, because it was not made in round 1 where it was supposed to. Upon accepting this debate, I had already assumed that this debate is on a global basis, therefore it is not fair for Pro to suddenly change the debate like that. However, it shouldn't be a problem since Pro says her argument can apply to the rest of the world in theory.

-I accept Pro's clarification on what she meant by getting a longer time in school "overall". However, I would like to note that Pro has contradicted herself
. Pro said, "A longer time in school overall, but a shorter time in school week-to-week...as they would have a Friday or Monday off of school to make up a 3 day weekend, they will have to make this up later on, meaning there are 52 days they are missing, and will have to attend school 52 days longer than they currently do, essentially adding another term to school time." This would mean that students would get the same amount of time in school overall, if those 52 days were made up. If they were to have a longer time in school overall, then they would have to have more than 52 days extra.

-Pro has provided a structure for this debate, but has stated that if I prefered something else, she won't mind. I thank pro for giving me this option. As I am arguing against her resolution, I have close to no arguments of my own, but what I have are refutations against her resolution. Therefore, I will begin this round with a rebuttal, followed by an addendum containing the few arguments I have.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rebuttal:

"My first argument is that an extra day off will benefit children both socially and economically. In theory, if Friday's were allowed off, high school students could spend this time socialising with friends, freeing up their Saturday which could be used to work."

-And who's theory is this? Your's? The thing about theories are, well, they're theories. And theories are often disproved. Furthermore, there is always more than one theory towards a certain issue. Your theory is that if Friday's were off, students will work their jobs more efficiently during Saturdays. My theory is that if Friday's were off, students will not work their jobs or study more efficiently, but they will socialize with their friends much more, which is not beneficial if that's all they do.

-So far, you have presented your theory, but have yet to support its validity. I however, will back up my theory. This week, there was a military coup in my country, and all schools were to be closed this Friday. All the students in my school and other schools socialized all of Friday, drinking alcohol and partying. That was yesterday. Today is Saturday, and the one's who have jobs haven't even shown up to work because they are so hungover from last night. This shows that my theory is more likely than yours, in which case schools should not have Fridays off.

-But let's say you're theory is correct. Let's say students work more efficiently on Saturdays if Fridays were off in school. I will provide another theory. You have mentioned ecnomic benefits this will bring. As an economics student, I can say with validity that this is quite the opposite. In a country like UK, its economy is a free market economy. [1] In a free market economy, there is competition, which means that employers will look for the cheapest employees, which means that they would likely hire children more than adults so that they can pay cheaper salaries. If students work more efficiently on Saturdays, and recieve cheaper salaries than adults, then employers would essentially take away work on Saturdays from adults to children. Saturday is one day out of seven, therefore it is logical to assume that if your theory were to be correct, the salaries of many adults would be reduced by a seventh, which is actually bad for the economy.

"Another reason an extra day at the weekend would be useful is that if exams are nearing, children will have more time to revise, or more time to relax depending on what they choose to do."

-Again this is your theory. How can you be sure that this will be true, when I've provided you evidence in which the exact opposit is true?

"Many children prefer to revise at home instead of at school."

-This is another baseless assertion. I for one, know many people, including myself who would much rather prefer to revise at school, where we can contact a teacher should we need help or have any trouble. Apart from teachers, we can also look for each other for help, therefore, ironically, the social benefits pro claimed that would come from not going to school can also come from going to school.

"Children may also have more time to spend with their family, creating closer bonds."

-Yes. They may. Or they may not. As mentioned previously, they may go partying, which is not spending time with their family.

Addendum:

-Pro's resolution in which 52 days added would mean essentially no summer vacations. Most schools in the US give a 2 month summer break for their students. 52 days is almost 2 months. If there must be an extra 52 days of school, summer vacation will be reduced dramatically, if in existence at all. Many students spend their summer vacations visiting their family members in another country. Pro mentioned that if Fridays were off, students can spend more time with their families. However, ironically, if Fridays were off and there are 52 extra days of school, there will be no summer vacations, and thus, no time spent with family members.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

Abdab

Pro

Abdab forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

Arguments extended.
Abdab

Pro

Abdab forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

...

Ok then...
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
AbdabDefroTied
Vote Placed by Kc1999 3 years ago
Kc1999
AbdabDefroTied