metalfingerz
Topiarey

Hip Hop is the most complex genre of music.

Topiarey
Started: 12/20/2012 Category: Arts

metalfingerz

Pro

My opponent must prove me wrong with facts and evidence, not opinion. My opponent has the burden of proof.
Topiarey

Con

First of all, you have the burden of proof because you're making the affirmative statement that Hip Hop is the most complex genre of music.

In this debate I am advocating the superiority in complexity of Classical music over Hip Hop. I suggest to all those reading this speech that they at the same time listen to the following piece known as "Ode to Joy". Just for fun. And please start at 11:00, if you would.

Now I will set the definitions since you did not give me any.

Complex: the intricacy of the genre's melody, harmony, variety of instruments, and how the structure of the song affects the human mind.

My first point:

Melody- classical music often has longer melodies with more variations than other forms of music such as hip hop. That is why the melody is more varied and far more developed than hip hop without a single full repetition most of the time until the end of the piece. This is not true in hip hop, which in many cases relies heavily and almost singularly on repition.

Harmony- hip hop music usually uses a basic structure subdominant and dominant chords, and all other chords are generally not used at all. On the other hand in classical music you find mediant and submediant chords, and often supertonic and subtonic chords.

Instruments- Classical music uses every instrument in the cliche orchestra, plus a lot of folk instruments, an organ, and human voice to name a few. There are many classical compositions for almost every instrument you can think of. However, hip hop in many cases uses no traditional instruments and often relies heavily on single beats and one human voice.

The Difficulty of Processing the Music:

In recent studies using functional magnetic resonance imaging (http://en.wikipedia.org...) scientists have discovered that classical music requires a lot more effort by the brain to process music than common music. This is due to the overall higher complexity in classical music, rather than hip hop.

I'd like to remind my opponent as he comes up with an answer to my arguments that the burden of proof is on HIM.

Finally I ask, if my opponent can, if Hip Hop is far more complex than Classical, why does it take classical writers months and years to complete their works while it takes Hip Hop writers perhaps half a day to come out with an okay song?

metalfingerz

Pro

metalfingerz forfeited this round.
Topiarey

Con

Please extend all of my arguments.

A forfeit is a serious detriment to my opponent's case as he has yet to present arguments. Conduct should go to Con.
metalfingerz

Pro

metalfingerz forfeited this round.
Topiarey

Con

This is extremely disrespectful.

No arguments have been given.
metalfingerz

Pro

metalfingerz forfeited this round.
Topiarey

Con

Please extend all of my arguments.

Con wins.
Posted by TheTraditionalist 4 years ago
TheTraditionalist
You have the burden of proof, as you are the one making an affirmative statement.
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
metalfingerzTopiareyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeits.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
metalfingerzTopiareyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter vote bomb. Should the vote bomb be removed, or an RFD provided. Please shoot me a PM and I will remove the counter bomb. Thank you.
Vote Placed by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
metalfingerzTopiareyTied
Reasons for voting decision: IT is what it is.