Hiroshima & Nagasaki vs Pearl Harbor. What was worse

Although you may argue that the bombing of H&N was to end the war. I argue that the war could of ended differently. These bombing killed a total of 220,000. While pearl harbor killed 2,403. H&N were attacks on citizens. While Pearl Harbor was an act of declaration of war. Both were saddening, but H&N were much worse.

I accept this debate challenge. As con, I contend that the attack on Pearl Harbor was worse than the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

On the surface, the sheer number of casualties and proportion of civilians killed would make it seem like attacks by the US on the Japanese were "worse," but let's take a moment to consider the implications.

1. The attacks on Pearl Harbor were initiated when the US and Japan were not at war. Japan may have attacked a military base rather than a major US city, but it did so without first declaring war, and in a surprise attack. When the US commenced bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, war was well underway, and had been going on for almost four years. Simply looking at rules of military engagement, PH was worse than H&N.

2. The US gave warning of its attacks to civilians in an effort to clear out Hiroshima before the first bomb was dropped, dropping leaflets and informing citizens of what was coming. Japan gave no advance warning to allow those in Pearl Harbor to evacuate.

Also, after the first bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, the US told Japan that there would be another bomb if they did not surrender. Japan made the choice to subject its people to another atomic bomb, rather than ending a conflict that they started, and neglecting the warnings from the US to evacuate cities that had been targeted.

3. If Japan had not attacked Pearl Harbor, perhaps war between the two countries could have been avoided. When the US dropped the bombs, it was to end a conflict and minimize casualties. While Japan's attack was meant to deal damage, the US dropped the bombs to force Japan into a surrender before more damage could be done. Had the US opted to engage military forces in a ground invasion of Japan instead, as was the alternative military option considered by the Truman administration, fighting would have lasted years, and it's estimated that millions of allied forces - and tens of millions of Japanese - would have been killed.

If Japan had not attacked Pearl Harbor, thousands of lives could have been saved. If the US had not dropped bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, millions more would have died.

Wow. I forfeit. This was one of the only debates on that's actually pure facts instead of just opinion. I know when i have been defeated good sir.I also didnt know that the U.S gave warnings, the more you know. So please teach me your ways :D (seriously that was a very well written debate.)

Thanks, I've always thought that a debate without facts isn't a debate at all. It was a cool topic and fun to research.

DarkPoet forfeited this round.

Since the debate is over, I thought I would tell a joke, but it would probably bomb.
Vote Placed by Peepette 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: PRO conceded the debate