Tophatdoc
LuckyStars

History Revisited #002: Nazi Germany defeated itself

Tophatdoc

Tophatdoc

Pro

This debate is part of a series which I call "History Revisited." I as Pro will be arguing that Nazi Germany defeated itself during World War II. I don't refer to Nazi Germany literally defeating itself. But rather Nazi Germany made blunders that lead to their decisive defeat at the hands of the Allies. I am arguing it was their mistakes which lead to their defeat.The result of the war came about primarily due to German blunders not the Allies' prowess.

Round 1: Acceptance Only.
LuckyStars

Con

Special thanks to PRO for lowering the requirements to accept the debate so this could happen.

Like PRO said, this round is to be primarily used for acceptance.

Thanks again PRO, and I hope you've had a nice weekend.
Tophatdoc

Pro

I would like to thank Con for accepting this debate. Best of luck and I hope we have fun.

I as Pro will be arguing that Nazi Germany's mistakes and blunders determined the result of World War II. My opponent will be arguing that the Allies' actions played a greater role in determining the result of World War II than Germany's blunders. If readers fail to understand or perhaps are confused, my opponent is essentially saying that the Allies would of defeated Germany without these major mistakes made by Germany.

1. Dunkirk
The war was drawn out longer when Adolph Hitler failed to destroy the British Expeditionary Forces at Dunkirk[1]. The opportunity to severely hurt the British was at Dunkirk. But Nazi Germany refrained from using its Luftwaffe when the British were retreating off the beaches. I maintain this was the greatest mistake Nazi Germany made during World War II. Those troops would retreat back to Britain and recuperate from their losses. Allegedly, Hitler thought it would of been a good idea to not attack in order to negotiate with the British later. It was his mistake not to attack using the Luftwaffe.

[1]http://www.laphamsquarterly.org...

2. Declaration of War on the United States
Another great mistake Nazi Germany made was declare war on the United States[2]. The United States would have had a difficult task to try enter the war in Europe otherwise. It was considered legitimate for the United States to go to war with Japan. But to declare war on Nazi Germany would of been a more difficult task because Nazi Germany hadn't acted against the United States. The United States had not been in the war and had fresh troops and supplies. This would end up being a severe mistake by Nazi Germany considering the United States would defeat them in North Africa and on their Western European front.

[2]http://www.ihr.org...

3. Too much trust in Italy
Nazi Germany had to compensate troops wherever Italy failed during World War II. Italian campaigns in North Africa, the Balkans, and mainland Italy required German aid. Italy couldn't even effectively defend its mainland[3]. Italy's incompetence cost Nazi Germany troops and supplies which could of been used on other fronts.

[3]http://www.history.com...

4.Failure to implement Case Anton earlier

Case Anton was the plan to militarily occupy Vichy France[4]. Nazi Germany tried to implement Case Anton when the British conquered North Africa. This was far too late. The French were able to destroy their fleet before Nazi Germany could seize them. Germany could of used those ships if they had prevented Vichy France from having a sizable military.

[4]http://www.desertwar.net...

5. Poor strategy during the Battle of Britain

Nazi Germany should of focused on bombing the Royal Air Force airfields rather than trying to bomb factories within cities. Nazi Germany should of focused more on winning air superiority.

[5]http://www.bbc.co.uk...

6. A Two Front War

Nazi Germany was far too ambitious when it decided to invade Russia without effectively defeating Britain. This lead to the grueling two front war in the last two yearsof the war.
LuckyStars

Con

LuckyStars forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Pro

It appears my opponent didn't even bother responding even after I lowered the requirements. I will remember this lesson next time. Extend all arguments.
LuckyStars

Con

LuckyStars forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Pro

Tophatdoc forfeited this round.
LuckyStars

Con

LuckyStars forfeited this round.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Wow. Just wow.
Posted by STALIN 3 years ago
STALIN
It looks like LuckyStars has left DDO. That's too bad.
Posted by LuckyStars 3 years ago
LuckyStars
Thanks.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
Helped you out there.
Posted by LuckyStars 3 years ago
LuckyStars
ELO is to low apparently I'm other words...
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
The polls section is where many of the cowards who won't debate hide lol
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
It's funny how, when I said Getmany was responsible for their own defeat in the polls, I was given a bunch of crap by the majority of people commenting, but when it's put up for a debate, people run from the argument.
Posted by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
Their actions led to their failure, it's simple cause and effect.
Posted by Tophatdoc 3 years ago
Tophatdoc
I know why. Try to accept the debate again in five minutes.
Posted by LuckyStars 3 years ago
LuckyStars
I can't. I did two trolling debates and lost, then I got vote bombed in another. It won't let me accept.
Vote Placed by The_Scapegoat_bleats 3 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
TophatdocLuckyStarsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made a complete argument with sources, Con did not. However, both forfeited rounds, and while Con forfeited more, Pro gloated about it and then proceeded to forfeit himself This costs him conduct points.