Mikeee
moomaster1228

History is a cycle rather than linear

Mikeee

Mikeee

Pro

History is a cycle rather than linear. Pro will have to prove that History goes in a cycle rather than progressing forward.

Con will have to prove that history does not go in a cycle and always progresses forward.

Both sides share the burden of proof.

First round is for acceptance only
moomaster1228

Con

I am new to this website, but I love debating. This will be my first ever. Please inform me of anything regarding the site, or rules of a debate that I maybe ignorant of. I'm guessing you begin with your argument next?
Mikeee

Pro

For this debate I will be trying to prove that History (as in the history of mankind, no dinosaurs or anything) acts in a cycle rather than linear progression (each generation becoming better than the last). The three ways this can be broken down to is; Examples of History repeating itself and disproving linear progression, religious and philosophy wise, and scientifically evidence and outside impacts.

My first point will be examples of history repeating itself and disproving linear progression.

On a small scale, one can look at how one individual culture repeats itself, for example Ancient China. Ancient China consist mainly of rising dynasties gaining control, revolution, then the dynasty losing power, this is called the dynastic cycle. Something similar to the dynastic cycle also occurs in Ancient Egypt, the rise of a strong government, collapse of order, reform and new cultural and societal changes, this happens three times and is described as the Old Kingdom, Middle Kingdom, and New Kingdom. Within these cycles of rise and fall there are ages of supreme knowledge and prosperous culture, Golden ages, and there are ages of decline. In Ancient China, the Zhou dynasty lasted over 700 years, while the Qin Dynasty lasted less than two decades.

There is also a middle scale that represents the cycle of entwined cultures. An example of a golden age was when great cultures such as the Greeks and Phoenicians had wide spread trade and cultural diffusion was in high occurrence. There was also a time when everyone forgot what they had discovered and went back to monarch governments and less sophisticated times, in the East, this was known as the dark ages.

The last scale is global. Because human history is relatively short, there are few examples of this but this is what I believe to be golden ages of achievement; the development of agriculture, religion, writing, government, and eventual global interactions and spread of ideas from one culture to the next.

Even in the short history of the United States, there have been multiple "golden ages" and times of decline, such as the great depression. Showing that cultures have had their ups and downs, a pattern is formed, thus creating a cycle in which history tends to follow.
moomaster1228

Con

moomaster1228 forfeited this round.
Mikeee

Pro

I will continue this debate if Con post an argument for round 3, otherwise I will just save the rest of my arguments for another time.
moomaster1228

Con

moomaster1228 forfeited this round.
Mikeee

Pro

I don't think see will be back...
moomaster1228

Con

moomaster1228 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by dappleshade 5 years ago
dappleshade
Mikeeemoomaster1228Tied
Reasons for voting decision: This could have been a really interesting debate if not for the forfeits...
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Mikeeemoomaster1228Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Read below RFDs.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Mikeeemoomaster1228Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Multiple forfeits demand a vote in favor of Pro.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
Mikeeemoomaster1228Tied
Reasons for voting decision: moomaster1228 quickly forfeited the entire debate and lost points for conduct and arguments because of so...