MrHistory
Lukas8

History. Greek and Roman gods or today's god

MrHistory

Pro

Hi

I'm challenging you: Greek and Roman's gods or today's god?
Lukas8

Con

Aye, Lets begin. Its actually my first challenge. Well Good luck.
MrHistory

Pro

Ok. I'm for Roman and Greek gods. Beacuse they are more realistic. Exemple: if all of gods are real, there have to be more gods than just one. Another example: Ares(Greek's god of war) has been god just for war or Pozejdon(Greek's god of sea) its just for sea. But today's god its one god for all. One god can't be for everything.
Lukas8

Con

Hello, I shall response now. But because I"m atheist, I"ll refuse both religions.
I"ll start with the problem of omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence in monotheistic religions. Including Islam and Christianity . You"re right there are many thing that make more sense in a different religion. However its still religion, it might be more correct, but scientifically its still believing in... A single God cant be everything. If he"s all powerful, then he sure is able to create a thing that is more powerful than him (like a so heavy stone that even god cant lift it). So automatically He's not all powerful, but if he couldn't do it in the first place, than he isn"t all powerful as well. In polytheism, that problem usually doesn"t exists. Greek mythology and Theology even tells that they weren"t all powerful and all-good.

But before rejection of both religions, we"ve to look how these religions formed. The origin of a religion tells a lot, if we want to study it. While all west mostly knows how Christianity formed, because it"s a dominant religion here and because the Holy Bible is actually a story-history fantasy book. But its less known about the origin of Hellenism and the Greek Religion. I was never really interested in that. That"s why I"ve got the most of the info from Wikipedia. So according to Wiki, the religion of Greece evolved from Mycenaean religion and adapted many tells from other cultures and religions. However its interesting that Mycenaeans seemed to treat Poseidon like a capital God. But religions and beliefs evolve. Its like a social-belief-evolution. Just like the Christianity is a big off-spring of Judaism.

And now, rejections of both. A Christian would probably reject Hellenism, while the Greeks would reject Christianity. Why? It"s a effect of your growing up under culture. For Christians its simply hard to think that, that is possible, but the same can/could go the other way around. So if we want to reject and argument something ,we"ve to ignore the morals, cultures, modern and old beliefs, the thing your mama told you and look it up form a scientific or secular perspective. But one thing is for sure, we"re talking about that only because we live in the modern ages and are allowed and are able to be sceptical. First, there is no evidence for both. And even when we see strange and para-normal thing, we might associate that with Gods power. But it could have been any God, Allah, Karma, Poseidon, Loollly-lapupie. For instance the typical modern association with God"s power is the amazing activity of our brain near death. But there are no evidence that specifically that Christian God did that. Also many strange and un-explainable things in the past were associated with religious characters. Like the solar eclipse, was believed to be God"s power. So, there are no evidence as well that there is a big beardy guy called Zeus on top of Mt. Olympus. But as there are no evidence, except the telling of religious leaders. You know that the stars wont literally fall down, but they did believe that in the past. But all religious people today will say that they didn"t mean it so.

Secondly, why would human-like paranatural forms have the ability to control the world"s physics and nature. If I would be a dog, I would be extremely jellus.
Well, we"ve 5 rounds so I"ll continue in the next round.
MrHistory

Pro

Ok. Thats all right and ok. You are right about evidences. I am also an atheist but IF god is real, then isn't any point. Greek's mythology is telling us that one god isn't enough for everything..... but i repeat IF god is real. I didn't say that god don't exist, im just saying that there is no evidences....
Lukas8

Con

OK, this round"s argument is going to be short.
I"ve a feeling that we"re talking about religious realism. While we both are atheist. While we"re talking about the Greek Mythology and are trying to compare it to Christianity we might encounter some other details of that religion. We also need to know that the Romans adapted the most of the Greek religious telling. The Greek people believed in quite amazing beliefs and stories. However we"ve to say that Christianity also has got many but aber many strange stories. But its still beLIEving in religion. You need to know that you can believe in everything you want (Ghost God, Loly-pop God,Pop-corn God...), but mostly people believe what the public or their parents say (similar to argumentum ad populum). Both Christianity and Greek/Roman Mythology sounds like nonsense to me.

Hey, PRO please state a more complex argument. Good Luck.
MrHistory

Pro

Hey
I'm just saying that IF god is real. I know that you are atheist, but i heard that you're interested in religon. So this is a reason why I stared this debate. Ok. Now I'm asking: Which religon you prefer? And why? (this can be very interesting question for atheist). Tell me some reasons why did you prefer Greeks religion/Christianity? I think that you didn't understoond my question. So I wrote question again. Hope you will answer me :)
Lukas8

Con

OK, my response.
Well, its a debate and not a question. So to answer your question. What religion do I prefer. Honestly the answer is none. But if I had to desire, I wont. Because I was raised in a Christian family, many morals and beliefs were given to me that are Christian. Its a paradox, but let me explain it to you. My friend thinks that Muslims have stupid morals. Meanwhile Muslims think that we"ve stupid morals. Why? Its because, its important in what you believe and in were you was raised. Your growing up may show a picture of psychological look-like in the future. The Greek religion makes quite some sense, while the Christian one may look better to me. But, the Greek/Roman mythology/religion has a better history they"ve supported philosophy), while the Christians were very very evil to science. So it isn't a surprise that the Illuminati were angry. The answer is: really, none. But what do I prefer? None.
Next Round,
MrHistory

Pro

Ok. Its our last round. This is a special type of debate where i asked you a question and you did answer. I like your answer. You said that you don't prefer nothing and that you was raised in Christian family so I respect that. You are special atheist and I like it. But if you ask me, I'm morecinteresting in a Greek's religion. That's beacuse its more realistic(again) and I like Zeus, Posejdon, Ares,.....beacuse of their legacy

Ok that is all. I really enoyed in mine very first debate. I hope ypu liked to :)
You are very smart and you have some good points. I respect you.
Lukas8

Con

Lukas8 forfeited this round.
Posted by MrHistory 2 years ago
MrHistory
You*
Posted by MrHistory 2 years ago
MrHistory
I mean, if you are atheist or christian. Or witch do you prefer?
Posted by Lukas8 2 years ago
Lukas8
What I need more info. So you think that the ancient gods are real or is the modern Christian real or what? I"ll deny the challenge if you don't give me more information about the debate.