Hitler was a Fascist

Me and Tophatdoc have been arguing over whether Hitler was a fascist or not, so I figure I will challenge him to a debate. Its what I learned my whole life, and in all my textbooks, so we'll see. Anyways, we will go by the wikipedia definition, which for the benefit of my opponent, will exclude the fact that it directly states hitler was a fascist.

My opponent has made the claim Hitler was a Fascist. I will say he was not a Fascist but a National Socialist. My opponent is using the capital letter "f" Fascist meaning that Hitler was ideologically a Fascist. He has the burden of proof of proving Hitler was Fascist.

Fascism and National Socialism are two different ideologies. But to the English speaking user they seem the same. Why? That is because both Fascists and National Socialists have been the enemies of English speaking countries[1]. Shall we forget how the English speaker broad brushed the Communists and assumed they were all in collusion. Now historians are rectifying the mistakes made by the lazy thinkers and politicians who assumed China and the Soviet Union always had the same interest at heart during the Cold War[2]. Now many historians have come to the conclusion that countries that are ideologically alike are more likely to ally against those with distinct different ideologies. But to many English speakers they are all the same because it is easy to categorize and stereotype.

First we must define Fascism. We must define the terms strictly in accordance to the source of whence it came. Fascism comes from the Italian word Fascismo. Fascismo relates to the Latin term fasces. Fasces is plural for "bundles." To be more precise, I will use the definition of Fascism from the architect of Fascism, Giovanni Gentile(the leading Fascist philosopher).

Fascism:"Fascism, in short, is not only a law-giver and a founder of institutions, but an educator and a promoter of spiritual life. It aims at refashioning not only the forms of life but their content - man, his character, and his faith."

[4]The Doctrine of Fascism by Giovanni Gentile and Benito Mussolini

Origins of Fascism

Fascism came about during World War I or shortly afterwards under Benito Mussolini. Benito Mussolini previously was a leading socialist in Italy before World War I and was the editor of Avanti(Italy's leading socialist newspaper). Mussolini split with the socialists because he supported Italian entry into World War I on the side of the Allies against the Central Powers. Mussolini created Il Popolo d'Italia(a newspaper) which lead to his creation of Fasci Italiani di Combattimento. Fasci Italiani di Combattimento was created strictly to combat Bolshevik sympathizers and socialists in post World War I Italy. Italy had suffered economically, the socialists and other like minded people went on strikes. The Fascists were created to fight their enemies in the streets. Eventually, the Fascists threatened to March on Rome to take over Italy and restore order once again. The King of Italy, Victor Immanuel III didn't want this to happen so he made Mussolini his Prime Minister[5].

[5]My Rise and Fall by Benito Mussolini

Fascism in Practice
Fascism was made up of several core concepts:
I showed that the Fascists came about strictly to fight Bolsheviks and Socialists in post-World War I Italy.

In order for Fascism to go unopposed in Italy by the Catholic Church, Mussolini would give the Vatican to the Catholic Church.

3.National Unity & Class Collaboration
The Fascists wanted unification in Italy versus the Communists who wanted to instigate class warfare. The Fascists would eventually ban all other parties via a vote in the parliament.

4.Cult of personality
Fascism in Italy thrived on the imagery of Mussolini being active in sports, flying airplanes, and farming. Hence the phrases il Duce(leader).

5.Obedience to the leader
"Mussolini is always right."

6.Absolute Power of the State
As Prime Minister, Mussolini engaged in various "battles"(grain, lira,births). Mussolini tried to use the state to influence things that hadn't been done before in Italy. In most cases, he failed.

Taking note from the F.T. Marinetti and Gabriele d'Annunzio; Mussolini urged Italians to struggle against the odds.

8.Imperialism(A New Roman Empire)
The Fascists wanted an empire and failed miserably.

[6]Mussolini and Italian Fascism by Guiseppe Finaldi

National Socialism by Definition
National Socialism according to Dr. Joseph Goebbels:"National-Socialism thinks not in the least about a leveling of the German folk and acknowledges every achievement that elevates a man above the multitude of his contemporaries. But fundamentally considered, we are all equal before death, before danger, and before Judgment, and we want to give expression to this equality when we declare our commitment to each other, and never permit a division to arise among us[7]"

[7]Essence and Form of National Socialism by Joseph Goebbels

Origins of National Socialism
The Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei(NSDAP) was originally a populist workers organization. It was Hitler who molded this minor political party into a political platform with an ideology. Much of the ideology was based on Hitler's experiences. For example, Hitler thought Germany had been betrayed by the Jews in World War I. This influenced his Anti-Semitism and anti-internationalism.

National Socialism in Practice
National Socialism was made up of several core concepts:
1. Anti-Internationalism
I would say anti-Internationalism is the top core tenant of National Socialism. This is what separates it from Fascism. Germany suffered economically in the post World War I era. Germany was required to pay costly reparations to the Allies for the cost of The Great War. This left many Germans angered many Germans including Adolf Hitler. Hence, why many people knew who he was referring to when he referred to the "International clique." He was referring to the parties who economically hurt Germany in the West. If the reparations and limits on Germany were not as severe there would of never been a Third Reich. The NSDAP and National Socialism grew based on the sentiment of anti-internationalism.

This was another concept that distincts National Socialism from Fascism. Anti-Semitism was based on the alleged "profiteers" of Germany's demise; the Jews.

Pan-Germanism was promoted in many of Hitler's early invasions in order to unify all German speaking peoples under one banner. That included Austria, Czechoslovakia, and Poland.

Hitler celebrated the existence of a master race. The Fascists did not have this concept nor did they focus on race as the National Socialists did. The Fascists only created concentration camps when Hitler pressured Mussolini to in the late 1930s.

5.Crushing the Opposing parties & opposition within the NSDAP
"Perhaps some of you here are unable to forgive me because I eradicated the Marxist Party but my friend I eradicated all the other parties"- Adolf Hitler 1933

Hitler destroyed the those within the NSDAP he disliked(Rohm,Strasser). The National Socialists were far more ruthless compared to the Fascists. He also is most well known for his actions against the Communists.

Hitler used the Enabling Act to jail and arrest Communists.

World War II and the invasions the Germans started were all a form of imperialism.

Adolf Hitler's chief focus for using the state was not to manipulate society to his whim like Mussolini. Rather Hitler wanted to lower the level of unemployment. Hitler lowered the level unemployment of by making stricter requirements on employers when they wanted to reduce their labor force. He also went to ban machinery that would reduce the amount of laborers and increase labor intensive work. Mussolini and the Fascists would never have done this. Hence, why the NSDAP are National Socialists.

[8]Hitler and the Rise of the Nazi Party by Frank McDonough

I want to point out to y opponent, that the national socialists were a political party, and not a political philosophy.

Here are a couple of political spectrums that show nazism is a form of facism...

This one is a Diamond Spectrum

This one is your typical left right spectrum, that once again calls the Nazis Fascist.

Here is another inverted square spectrum

Here is a sloped square spectrum

As you can see, all 4 spectrums identify Nazis as a form of Fascism.

Now, lets examine the principles of Fascism, using the Merriam New College Webster Definition

We will begin by checking the nazi government for each of these principals.

One Party Dictatorship: Once Hitler became chancellor in 1932, he banned all parties and established a one party dictatorship. d04;

Forcible suppresion of opposition:
After the National Socialists took power, Hitler ordered the SS, a vanguard evident in fascist partys, to crush any opposition to Nazi Rule. d04;

Private Economic Enterprise Under Centralized Government Control: Once again, the Nazis allowed free markets, but enterprises were directly controlled by the centralized government. In short, it was practically communism hiding its name a capitalism. They differentiated this fact though, as the Nazi officials would mostly set quotas and wages. d04;

Belligerent Nationalism: Nazi Germany was extremely nationalistic. Evident by the nazi youth groups, excessive banners, and undying obedience to the Furher. d04;

Racism: I don't think I have to explain this one. The Nazis killed around 11 million people of Jewish, Gypsie, African, and Homosexual backgrounds. Take a look at this neo nazi website.

Militariasm: I doubt I have to explain this one either. Under the Nazi regime, Hitler started a massive buildup of forces.

Now, I would like to present the readers with a list of sources that identify National Socialism as a fascist party. Everything else in the article is likely irrelevant to any point I'm making. All these were wielded from a short search "Was Hitler A Fascist". I read them all, and these are only the first two pages.

Now this is where my opponets main arguments seem to rely on. I will explain in simply. America has a libertarian party, but does that make the US one an exact copy of the Japanese libertarian party? Con seems to be of the opinion that it does. The National Socialists and and Italian Fascist party were just different forms of Fascism. A philosophy not owned strictly by Mussolini. It existed in different forms in about every European country at the time.

Thanks for the debate Tophatdoc

I apologize but I will not be able to finish this debate. I have had migraines on and off this week for some strange reason starting Tuesday. I struggled to post the last rounds. I struggled with my other debates as well. I started typing a few hours ago and just deleted it all because I could not concentrate. When I started the debate I wasn't sick but I have started getting more sick, my headache is too bothersome, and I definitely won't be able to finish. Again my apologies.

We should re-do this debate when I feel better.

Alright, I appreciate you telling me. Get better soon. I guess the audience will have to judge from the first two rounds.

Arguments extended.

Thanks.Lesson Learned: Do one debate at a time because you may get extremely sick. Then you may lose all the debates.
Posted by JohnF.Kennedy 4 days ago
The "racism" part could be easily debunked tbh
Posted by Kc1999 2 years ago
LIES! Mein Fuhrer was a fascist!
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
I was giving a definition and not an argument -_-
Posted by Tophatdoc 2 years ago
You did state an argument: "Its what I learned my whole life, and in all my textbooks, so we'll see. Anyways, we will go by the wikipedia definition, which for the benefit of my opponent, will exclude the fact that it directly states hitler was a fascist."
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
I think its pretty evident when I post no arguments,but whatever. You get an extra round.
Posted by Tophatdoc 2 years ago
It said nothing about "Round 1: Acceptance only."
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Tophatdoc, you were supposed to just accept first round, but whatever.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Sadly Pro's arguments went unrefuted, while Con's were refuted.