Hitler was a Great Leader

First round is confirmation only. Let's establish some ground rules...
"Use only factual information please, nothing made up
"Cite all of your sources in a bibliography
"No profanities
"Keep the debate fun
"No inappropriate behavior, such as name-calling or ridiculing
"All sarcasm and sass must be subtle

Thank you! I look forward to a pleasant and interesting debate!

I look forward to an entertaining and engaging debate. As this debate is to be fun, I will introduce with a video of why my opponent believes Hitler was a great leader.

Let's begin with a few basic facts about Hitler, shall we?

A Brief History of Adolf Hitler
-Despite becoming the dictator of Germany, Hitler was not born there. Hitler was born in Braunau am Inn, Austria on April 20, 1889.
-Hitler's parents were Alois (1837-1903) and Klara (1860-1907) Hitler.
Hitler had only one sibling that survived childhood, Paula (1896-1960).
-However, Hitler also had four other siblings that died in childhood: Gustav (1885-1887), Ida (1886-1888), Otto (1887), and Edmund (1894-1900).
-In addition to his sister Paula, Hitler had one step-brother, Alois (b. 1882) and one step-sister, Angela (1883-1949), both from his father's previous marriage.
-Hitler was known as "Adi" in his youth.
-Hitler's father, Alois, was in his third marriage and 51 years old when Hitler was born. He was known as a strict man who retired from the civil service when Hitler was only six. Alois died when Hitler was 13.

Artist and Anti-Semite
-Throughout his youth, Hitler dreamed of becoming an artist. He applied twice to the Vienna Academy of Art (once in 1907 and again in 1908) but was denied entrance both times.
-At the end of 1908, Hitler's mother died of breast cancer.
-After his mother's death, Hitler spent four years living on the streets of Vienna, selling postcards of his artwork to make a little money.
-No one is quite sure where or how Hitler picked up his virulent antisemitism. Some say it was because of the questionable identity of his grandfather (was Hitler's grandfather Jewish?). Others say Hitler was furious at a Jewish doctor that let his mother die. However, it is just as likely that Hitler picked up a hatred for Jews while living on the streets of Vienna, a city known at the time for its antisemitism.

Hitler as a Soldier in World War I
-Although Hitler attempted to avoid Austrian military service by moving to Munich, Germany in May 1913, Hitler volunteered to serve in the German army once World War I began.
-Hitler endured and survived four years of World War I. During this time, he was awarded two Iron Crosses for bravery.
-Hitler sustained two major injuries during the war. The first occurred in October 1916 when he was wounded by a grenade splinter. The other was on October 13, 1918, when a gas attack caused Hitler to go temporarily blind.
-It was while Hitler was recovering from the gas attack that the armistice (i.e. the end of the fighting) was announced. Hitler was furious that Germany had surrendered and felt strongly that Germany had been "stabbed in the back" by its leaders.

Hitler Enters Politics
-Furious at Germany's surrender, Hitler returned to Munich after the end of World War I, determined to enter politics.
-In 1919, Hitler became the 55th member of a small antisemitic party called the German Worker's Party.
-Hitler soon became the party's leader, created a 25-point platform for the party, and established a bold red background with a white circle and swastika in the middle as the party's symbol. In 1920, the party's name was changed to National Socialist German Worker's Party (i.e. the Nazi Party).
-Over the next several years, Hitler often gave public speeches that gained him attention, followers, and financial support.
-In November 1923, Hitler spearheaded an attempt to take over the German government through a putsch (a coup), called the Beer Hall Putsch.
-When the coup failed, Hitler was caught and sentenced to five years in prison.
-It was while in Landsberg prison that Hitler wrote his book, Mein Kampf (My Struggle).
-After only nine months, Hitler was released from prison.
-After getting out of prison, Hitler was determined to build up the Nazi Party in order to take over the German government using legal means.

Hitler Becomes Chancellor
-In 1932, Hitler was granted German citizenship.
-In the July 1932 elections, the Nazi Party obtained 37.3 percent of the vote for the Reichstag (Germany's parliament), making it the controlling political party in Germany.
-On January 30, 1933, Hitler was appointed chancellor. Hitler then used this high-ranking position to gain absolute power over Germany. This finally happened when Germany's president, Paul von Hindenburg, died in office on August 2, 1934.
-Hitler took the title of F"hrer and Reichskanzler (Leader and Reich Chancellor).

Hitler as F"hrer
-As dictator of Germany, Hitler wanted to increase and strengthen the German army as well as expand Germany's territory. Although these things broke the terms of the Versailles Treaty, the treaty that officially ended World War I, other countries allowed him to do so. Since the terms of the Versailles Treaty had been harsh, other countries found it easier to be lenient than risk another bloody European war.
-In March 1938, Hitler was able to annex Austria into Germany (called the Anschluss) without firing a single shot.
-When Nazi Germany attacked Poland on September 1, 1939, the other European nations could no longer stand idly by. World War II began.
-On July 20, 1944, Hitler barely survived an assassination attempt. One of his top military officers had placed a suitcase bomb under the table during a conference meeting at Hitler's Wolf's Lair. Because the table leg blocked much of the blast, Hitler survived with only injuries to his arm and some hearing loss. Not everyone in the room was so lucky.
-On April 29, 1945, Hitler married his long-time mistress, Eva Braun.
-The following day, April 30, 1945, Hitler and Eva committed suicide together.

This information was taken directly from

Now, let's take a look at some of Hitler's speeches.

World War II and the Holocaust:

Despite the fact that Hitler was a madman, he did rally millions of people around the world to massacre anyone who was different. Jews, homosexuals, and Gypsies were sent to concentration camps and brutally murdered in some of the most imaginative ways possible. According to Wikipedia, "The lead editors of the Encyclopedia of Camps and Ghettos, 1933"1945 of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Geoffrey Megargee and Martin Dean, cataloged some 42,500 Nazi ghettos and camps throughout Europe, spanning German-controlled areas from France to Russia and Germany itself, operating from 1933 to 1945. They estimate that 15 million to 20 million people died or were imprisoned in the sites.[24]"

Other types of camps, called extermination camps (or death camps) were used to house victims of the Nazis, primarily Jews, who were to be "exterminated", or killed. Basically, they were pigs being led to slaughter. While an accurate number of deaths in the extermination camps was never discovered, a rough estimate of the death toll is over 3 million people over a period of 5 years, with at least 8 death camps operational.

Primary methods of carnage were gassing, shooting, starvation, and torture. At first, mass shooting was mainly used for execution, but the trauma of this act of slaughter caused many of the shooters to become mentally deranged, and in some cases, take their own lives. Soon, gassing took over as a central method of assassination, but the cost of transporting the carbon monoxide cylinders that had been used for gassing to the East proved to be too great. After testing out prussic acid crystals that released a fatal cyanide gas when they were removed from their containers, it was determined that "Zyklon-B", as they were called, would be used to gas the unsuspecting victims in the extermination camps.

Hitler's Accomplishments:
During a speech on April 28th, 1939, Hitler spoke about what he felt that his greatest accomplishments were.

"...I overcame chaos in Germany, restored order, enormously raised production in all fields of our national economy...I succeeded in completely resettling in useful production those 7 million unemployed who so touched our hearts...I have not only politically united the German nation but also rearmed it militarily, and I have further tried to liquidate that Treaty sheet by sheet whose 448 Articles contain the vilest rape that nations and human beings have ever been expected to submit to. I have restored to the Reich the provinces grabbed from us in 1919; I have led millions of deeply unhappy Germans, who have been snatched away from us, back into the Fatherland; I have restored the thousand year old historical unity of German living space; and I have attempted to accomplish all that without shedding blood and without inflicting the sufferings of war on my people or any other. I have accomplished all this, as one who 21 years ago still an unknown worker and soldier of my people, by my own efforts..."

However, today's historians and experts have determined that Hitler's greatest accomplishments were much different than what he believed.

Before the War...
-Hitler united the German and Austrian people behind him. He was very popular among the citizens, due in part to the large economic and social successes, such as, "the virtual disappearance of unemployment, the rising prosperity of the masses, the new social institutions, and the increase of German prestige in the 1930s..."
-By 1938, Hitler had made Germany the most powerful country in Europe (perhaps even in the world) without war. Some historians even believe that had Hitler died in 1938 before the war, and the mass executions along with it, began, he would have been remembered as possibly the greatest German leader in history.

During the War...
-Hitler came very close to winning the war in 1940, but Britain's forces, led by Winston Churchill, forestalled his victory.
-It took the Anglo-American coalition with the Soviet Union to defeat Hitler and his army, and it is doubted that the war would have been won had the two forces not joined together to conquer the Nazis.

I apologise as my writing style is not as formal as you might like. Rest assured, I know about Hitler in world war 2, and the bio is not necessary.

Some small corrections I'll make, my history textbook here being the source. (Second Edition Modern Europe and the Wider World, Dermot Lucy)Hitler was refused entry into the Austrian military before joining in Germany. Hitler did not gain power through legal means. In the Night of the Long Knives, he had the SA's leadership assassinated by the SS, who then absorbed the SA under his control. True, Hitler didn't fire a single shot to gain Austria, but then again, that's because it was the dissenters in Austria doing the work, Hitler not personally leading the charge. The Austrian PM was even assassinated at one point. If you say Hitler never fired a bullet, then he also never gassed 6 million people. Hitler never came close to winning the war because his defeat by Stalin was inevitable. The USSR was a beast which once woken, couldn't be stopped.

Now, onto why he was not a good leader.

The first issue I had to come to terms with is the question "what is a good leader?" The dictionary definition is rarely the best answer. Do we go by qualities, actions or results? Do morals come into this? My conclusion is all of these factors must be accounted for.

Now, on the first point. Anti Semitism was already a worldwide issue at the time, along with many of the other minorities, few had objections to these people being interned. But it was only later that people discovered what happened to these prisoners. I would not call deception a good quality of leadership, nor would genocide be classed as a good action or result. On a side note, you are arguing about Hitler as leader, using detailed reports of how people were massacred as proof is.... unnerving to say the least.

On his economic actions let me clarify something; I am not citing sources because I just finished my leaving cert last month, the last two years of studying History and Economics are still fresh in my mind, and just to be safe, the textbook is open on the table beside me. In economics, we study National Income or growth, with a few important notes; Any economic growth as a result of an approaching war is a misleading part of government spending which determines government spending. It's essentially viewed as cheating since the spending is only going towards arms and doesn't reflect the standard of living in the country.

On another note, when attempting to find the qualities of a person, you do not ask the person what they think their best qualities are because your answer will be misleading, Hitler speaking of his achievements does little here; Unemployment was solved through infrastructure and conscription, The former I must concede was a good economic action. Re arming a country is not much of an achievement. France was the only nation pushing the Treaty, and Britain had already been repealing it with Germany beforehand through policies such as the Anglo Naval Agreement, 1935. The collection of land, I will have to bring up again at a latter point, but at the moment, it is a concession. And the end of that quote is rubbish as Hitler had no problem with cruelty, from the secret police he used to the public hangings of "Swingers", any youth who opposed the Nazi regime, that statement is a lie.

Now, in your Before the War section, I already mentioned that approaching war is a big imbalance on National Income statistics, which also negates the part about avoiding war. Saying that if he had died before making any mistakes is a bit of a cheat too. If Bush was assassinated before the Iraq war, would he then be the greatest President in history? Does that mean we can ignore the atrocities of the war? No. Hitler cannot be weighed on what had happened if he died earlier. My example may be slightly poor as at least the scale of Bush's actions was smaller and was not done with intention to round up and execute.

During the War;

Hitler attacked populated cities instead of the airbases of the British, allowing them to retaliate and win the Battle of Britain.
I found an issue with the quote "Hitler came very close to winning the war in 1940, but Britain's forces, led by Winston Churchill, forestalled his victory". You basically said; Hitler would have beaten his enemies if they had not fought back. It is a silly statement. I have nothing witty to say on that.

Hitler invaded the USSR. That was a mistake. A big mistake. A titanic mistake. I cannot exaggerate enough. Hitler declared war on the biggest and most powerful nation on the continent at a time when they were neutral and he decided winter would be the best time to invade a frigid nation. This, along with Stalin's disregard for losses, was a terrible loss for Hitler, Stalingrad being the turning point when the Russians started pushing back.

But it comes back to the question of leadership.

Qualities; Hitler displayed skill necessary for a leadership role, understanding how to manipulate crowds. However, the propaganda was largely the work of others, like Goebbels and Leni Reifenstahl, who were his image workers. Being fair on this, I would have to concede he displayed an overall positive array of leadership qualities.

Actions; Hitler began with promising ideas, mainly copied from his predecessor Mussolini who laird out the political, economic and global policies of the Fascist Regimes. However, the invasions and atrocities committed, against his own people, against minorities and against civilians during the Blitz make this an overwhelming minus.

Results; Machiavelli once reluctantly admitted in The Prince that for a budding leader, the ends justify the means. If the results obtained from cruel actions are met with good results, then the leader's career survives, or overall the country benefits. But no. Germany was in ruins in the aftermath of WW2. The infrastructure he built was rubble, his Lebensraum was reclaimed by the countries invaded and Germany required the aid of the US in the Marshall Plan to avoid becoming communist, part of it still becoming communist as the nation was divided among the victors. You may try to claim Hitler had too many enemies, but who's fault was that? An outstanding minus.

Overall, skills as a leader are meaning less when they're used poorly. Hitler may have had some qualities, but that didn't make him a good leader. You have a Before the War an a during the War, but no aftermath. If you recall, Franco died peacefully, as did Stalin.

See you next round,

Due to personal problems, I am unable to continue the debate. Sorry about this.

I understand. It is not a problem friend. See you in some other debate.

Posted by JohnHamishWatson 2 years ago
Geez people! Let me post the rules AGAIN!
"No profanities
"Keep the debate fun
"All sarcasm and sass must be subtle

Look, I understand that you feel that Hitler was a disgusting man, I do too. But the fact remains that he led an army to massacre millions, and that's not something that you and I can or will achieve! I'm not saying what he did was even remotely okay, but I would greatly appreciate if you kept your rude comments to yourself. If you wanted to argue about this, you should have signed up as my opponent. If you insist on arguing, at least use FACTUAL INFORMATION. With debating, your own opinion is not everything. You need evidence.
Posted by 1814Username 2 years ago
Hitler rallied a mob and nothing more. He used fear and propaganda to dupe an entire nation. That is not being a leader. It is being a manipulator. There is a difference. Leaders inspire people to be more than they are for the betterment of mankind. He was a butcher and nothing more. Just because a person rises to power in this world, it does not make him or her a leader. The day we rationalize what Hitler did in a positive light is the day when it will happen all over again and millions will die.
Posted by JohnHamishWatson 2 years ago
My God! Yes, he was a terrible person, but he successfully rallied millions of people to fight in his name! Not many leaders have achieved that.
Posted by Mray56 2 years ago
Yeah Hitler was a great leader to the downfall of Germany and the mass murder of millions of Jews.
Posted by 1814Username 2 years ago
Hitler was a madman who was high on drugs all the time. Let us not be coy about this topic. Because of Hitler, tens of millions lost their lives. He exterminated people. Anyone can be considered a good leader. The question really is where does the leader lead you to? Hitler led humanity to a place it should never be. There was only one truly good leader and that was Christ. Everyone else is flawed. I am not a bible thumper either. I believe many Christians are hypocrites. Even in the west, all of our good leaders caused harm to one group in society. Christ is the only leader that does not want to see anyone harmed. Christ's greatest strength is his mercy and we should never forget this fact. Hitler, was the exact opposite.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
You're censoring my comments. F@#$ THAT.

but in all seriousness, I am excited to see this debate go down.
Posted by JohnHamishWatson 2 years ago
The rules posted in round one apply to both the opposing debater AND all of those who wish to comment.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Holocaust, WW2, killing of dissidents all hurt Germany and the world.
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Better arguments by con