olverboi
Ore_Ele

Hitting a MLB fastball is the hardest thing to do in sports

Ore_Ele
Started: 1/26/2010 Category: Sports

olverboi

Pro

My argument is that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. I'm not talking about athletic feats such as completing a marathon, pitching a perfect game, beating Tiger Woods in a round of golf, etc, etc. I am talking about stepping up to the plate against a Nolan Ryan or a Randy Johnson, the best of the best. Some may say Scoring a goal in a shootout is harder... maybe shooting a hole in one but i am sure that i can formulate an argument to deny, and prove wrong, any of your statements.
Ore_Ele

Con

Since you are going Pro, I will await your argument and your evidence.
olverboi

Pro

ZAP! In less time than it takes you to ready that word Randy Johnsons famous 100Mph+ fastball would be out of his hand and into the catchers mitt. ZAP! A baseball thrown at 100Mph thrown by "The Big Unit" reaches home plate in less than 2/10 of a second. Thats half the time that it takes you to blink your eye. A baseball is 9 1/4 inches round, weighs about 5 ounces and half the time is the same colour as the pitchers jersey. On average there are only 750 peoeple in this world at any given time who are Paid to be able to come close to hitting this monstrous pitch and out of those 750 only a handful that can hit it 1/10 times squarley.(750 being the maximum numbers of players in the MLB before September where that number becomes 1200 due to the expanding rosters) These are the men then make their careers playing the game. No one is better than the players in the MLB and not even they can hit it more than once or twice out of ten times. If not even the Proffesionals can do it then why could anyone else even dream of it?
Ore_Ele

Con

Not only is hitting an MLB fastball not the hardest thing to do in sports, it isn't even the hardest pitch to hit in baseball. In a study done on 2009 pitchers. They showed who had the best pitches (looking at the individual pitches of the pitcher) and found that the top 10 pitches, not one of them is a fastball. So even the best fastball pitcher in the league couldn't make it to the top 10 (while the slider holds 3 of the top 5 spots). [1][2]

Now that is a study going from pitcher to pitcher. But lets look at the actual pitches (on the whole, independent from individual pitchers). In a study of Fastball (FB), Changeup (CU), Curveball (CB) and Sliders (SL), looked at how often each pitch is thrown, how often it is hit, how often it is hit for a home run, and how often it is thrown based on the count. [3]

The fastball is the most likely pitch to be hit for a home run, and the fastball is the least likely to be swung and missed, only 6% of fastballs are swung at and missed, 94% of the time, they are either hit, or just watched go by. Fastballs are also the most likely to be hit (38% of the time, be it fall, for a hit, or getting out, but contact is made), with curveballs being the lowest at 29%. [3]

I do believe that this proves, without any question, that both fastballs in general are not the hardest pitch to hit (in fact one of the easiest) and that the best fastball is not harder to hit then the best slider or the best curve or even the best change up.

[1] http://online.wsj.com...
[2] http://mlb.mlb.com...
[3] http://www.hardballtimes.com...

I await PRO's further arguments.
olverboi

Pro

olverboi forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Con

I will extend my arguments and I hope that what prevented my opponent from being able to post in the last round in not serious, nor long-term.
olverboi

Pro

olverboi forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Con

I extend my arguments one more time and let it close that way.
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
full 7 to con due to forfeit.
Posted by Ore_Ele 7 years ago
Ore_Ele
Yay, someone actually voted!
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
Con's arguments won him the debate, while Pro's forfeits cost him a full 7.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
What, so this would be unchallenging: http://www.Debate.org...?
Posted by Ore_Ele 7 years ago
Ore_Ele
I may not even bring anything up other then baseball, just to make it challenging though.
Posted by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
People hit baseballs far more often than people get holes in one.
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
olverboiOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
olverboiOre_EleTied
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 7 years ago
Ore_Ele
olverboiOre_EleTied